Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Scott

Default Brisbane Flood - BBQ Thread Sunday (Day 2)

Hi Guys,

On the job tomorrow are:

Scott
DASH GT
DJM83
The Monty
Aspro (mate of mine)
Col (mate of mine)
XR5T Brissy
MS33 & Mrs

We learned a bit on Day 1, mostly that we need to be flexible enough to be where the most need is. We need to setup "light" so as the core move along, so can we.

The blokes doing the rounds with an esky full off cold drinks were hugely successful and that will need to a focus again. Perhaps we think about doing similar to what we did later in the afternoon with respect to loading up a heap of cooked food into the ute and doing the rounds a bit too? Open for discussion.

We have enough arms and legs to have another great day, we have plenty of food, gas, and other supplies but ice and eskis are high on the list of wants.

As with day one, Sunscreen, panadol, handwash etc will be on hand - use the sunscreen!!

DASH GT can update if we need more drinks and what type but as mentioned, bring ice and eskis!

At this stage, we are looking to target areas around Mt Ommaney - maybe Sinnamon Park & Jindalee will fit the same bill.

For those who weren't there today, you can expect a day of walking around with an esky, letting people know there is food on and where to get it. Lots of people were asking "how much" so make sure you let them know it's free.

People will tell you there are more needy than themselves - make sure they know we have plenty to go around.

Suitable dress to start with is long pants, stout shoes, hat and sunnies - when we sort "the lay of the land" you may wish to ditch the long pants and don a pair of shorts as I did today.

There is no need to worry about bringing your own food and drink unless you have a specific want or need. Plenty of snags, onions, soft drink and water will be there to keep you going.

So, as mentioned, Mt Ommaney is where we're planning to start - if I can get a consensus then we will head to the Mt Ommaney shops. Happy to hear if there is a better, maybe less crowded spot to meet and depart from.

A really BIG THANKS to the guys who pitched in today:

DASH GT;
Dazzler;
geckoGT;
SLO AU XR8;
MS33 & Mrs;
Aspro (friend of mine)

Day 2, here we come!

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ill bring an eski and ice along
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Are we meeting @ 9am at Mt. Ommaney Shops? Can I please have an adress as I dont know the area well.
Josh
Old 15-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Scott

If there are no other suggestions, how about we meet in the northern most carpark at the Mt Ommaney Centre, shown on the map in the link below indicating Mitre 10 at 9am (give yourself plenty of time!)
HERE
Old 15-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
If there are no other suggestions, how about we meet in the northern most carpark at the Mt Ommaney Centre, shown on the map in the link below indicating Mitre 10 at 9am (give yourself plenty of time!)
HERE
Done and done
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm too far away to help but you guys are bloody legends for doing this.

If there is any way we can help please let us know - maybe some funds deposited into an account or something to assist with purchasing food etc - more than happy to help where we can.
Old 15-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Scott

Thanks Austin

So far we're politely declining any cash donations to keep it as simple as we can. If we have our bit covered, then donations may be better spent through official channels to help feed, clothe and support some of the real battlers when they need it most.

If things blow out too much, I will set about PM'ing those like you who have generously offered some financial help.

Perhaps sit tight until we see where we're at?

Thanks mate, Scott
Old 15-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm too far away to help but you guys are bloody legends for doing this.
+1

you guys are champs. apart from a handful of people at the other end of the spectrum (looters etc), this whole event has restored a lot of faith in human nature. watching the devastating event unfold was hard to comprehend but the thing that brings a tear to my eye is the stories like this one where people are just offering anything and everything to help out.

awesome effort to all out there.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
XR5T_Brissy
4 x 4 Fanatic

Hi guys, I will be there with ice and esky as requested. See you there.

PS Check closed roads before you leave, as I think there are a few on route. Your GPS may lead you astray
ARB Bash Plates
ARB Custom Installed Rear Work Lights And Switches
BF Goodrich All Terrains T/A KO2 285/70/17
EGR Lockable Soft Tonneau Cover
Uniden UH8080S UHF CB Radio and 5w Antenna
Hema HN7 Navigation
Rhino Rack Lockable Roof Racks
XR5T_Brissy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Josh has my esky's and ice on board.. So ya's can wheel at least two of them around instead of carrying them ..
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
Scott

^^ Fantastic Daz, will be a great help. I'll call ya when I get there

Centenary Drive is now open in both directions BTW, hopefully getting on the road earlier will make the trip a bit quicker.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im going to leave now, never know just how bad the streets are already.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great effort guys

wish we were closer as well we would be there in a flash

my wife was looking at the other thread about yesterday and was in awe of what you are doing

on another note the people around our are are doing a clothing collection and we are attempting to fill a container to get sent up to brizzy or one of the other towns

we are canvassing trucking co's to see if one of them would ship it for us but we are having no luck atm

Keep up the great effort and we are thinking of all you guys

wish we could be there to help out

Jason & Helen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I have a suggestion. You have asked for eskies on wheels. What about a large esky if anyone has it, bungee cord it to a moving trolley to give it wheels. If you guys are doing this again next weekend count me in for the Sunday. As Saturday I will most likely be doing overtime at work (insurance) which is the best way I can possibly help to ease the load.
Old 16-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well Im home now, kind of need a shower, but you get that. We were hugely succesful, but dont for a second think that we are the only ones doing this, there is many many people walking the streets with food and water, and the amount of volunteers is mindblowing, and all need a massive rap for doing this.
I would love to do it again next week, but I have already commited to other things. The week after, I will be happy to go again though.
I dont know how many drinks I gave away, but I was blown out by how many people were helping, awesome effort guys.
Old 16-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well where do i start?
A big thanks to all involved today was a massive effort and hats off, we ended up in Graceville.
I seen some images that i never want to see again i tell you what, what ever you have seen on tv times that by atleast 10. I really feel for the people on the ground. The images you see around the world in disasters is and has happened on our back door step, to see the mess that is around the place is nothing short of astonishing peoples lives are on their front lawn.
One guy we stopped to drop drinks off at we had a chat for 5 minutes and he was telling us of the damage to their house (Very close to the river). A lot of work has been done but there a hell of a lot more to do, if any QLD'ers are around the area i urge you to jump in and lend a helping hand.
Once again a big thanks to all the guys that were there today your all legends.
Dallas
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Another job well done boys.

And Dallas I agree, whatever you see on TV, times it by 20 !!
The devastation is immense, and the smell !! The guys I was working made a great comment that some places are like a war zone or Beirut. It is just nuts. As I have said before, it is a truly humbling experience to help those that had their homes and lives devastated by this disaster.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
Scott

Hey Blokes, top effort today. It was a drop in the ocean really but it all counts.

The day started pretty slowly, Mt Ommaney & Jindalee (our first targets) really didn't appear to need our help. After a short deliberation it was decided to head down to Ipswich and see what we could do there. That wasn't going to well either as none of us new the affected areas and finding people in a suitable level of need was hard.

I called 4BC and spoke to the Ian Maurice on air, within a couple of minutes we got a call from the radio station telling us we were needed at Graceville Memorial Park in Chelmer - we went straight back there, only a suburb or two from where we started .

We quickly found a spot to setup and got to work, the radio station called me several times through the day to check in which proved to me that they really are doing their bit in all of this too.

Today, we used just short of 950 slices of bread - each with a sausage in it.... some lucky punters got a steak in theirs. I would say that for every 10 sangas that went, a drink went with it from the main setup. A huge number of people just took a drink with no food. I really don't know how many cupcakes, bags of chips, biscuits etc went, but there were HUNDREDS.

The blokes pulling the eskys and running with the ute would have handed out hundreds and hundreds more drinks.

We fed residents, volunteers, army, nave, police, energex, bus drivers, tradies, kids, the elderly, new comers to Australia - the whole gambit.

People were streaming to us with more supplies all day, if we said we needed more water - it came by the ute load. If we said ice, coke or whatever - it came by the bootload. We became a bit of a landmark in the area we were in and people would just turn up with whatever they thought we could use. From blankets to sandwiches they came all day.

Toward the end of the day, even the coaches were pulling up en'route to grab a drink!

Right at the end of the day, we had about 250 slices of bread, maybe a couple of hundred bottles of water (mostly bigger ones by then), I would guess 30-40kg of meat and a heap of ice left over (along with litres of sauce etc). The blokes met a woman who was running truck loads of supplies to an area down the road that had been hit very hard (visualise wheelie bins hanging from the powerlines) and we were able to set that area up, including the 90 units at the lowest point, with enough food & water to get them through tomorrow.

There are so many stories that I have now, and dozens more that our fantastic members have to share that if we told them all we'd be here forever.

Special thanks to:

DASH GT;
XR5T_Brissy;
MS33 & partner (sorry Lee, I worked with her most of the weekend and still keep forgetting her name!)
The Monty
DJM83
Col (who is a mate of mine, poor bugger could not leave the BBQ plate all day!)

Seriously good effort guys, thank you.
Old 16-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

thanks for the bottles of water today Dallas. Much needed after a big cleanup down at Graceville

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well posted Scott, what went on today really showed the aussie spirit and what can happen when everyone pitches in.

Well done guys you did a great job. Im proud to be an aussie.

We actually had a girl come over, she was from Sweden? She flew here to do her thesis(sp) on this disaster and why we come together to help in times of need in Australia and other countries dont she had a cpl of us surveys.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys top effort you've done yourselves proud. Queenslander.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #22
Scott

Bugger, was Graceville we were in today.. you'd think I would have known by standing next to a sign that said "Graceville Memorial Park" all day

Here's a pic of the area (from news.com.au), bear in mind that this is one of the "cleaner" looking streets of those that were badly affected:
Old 16-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I have a couple of pics of our BBQ ill get them up soon
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done guys...

The support of the residents and other who have travelled from unaffected areas is tremendious.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #25
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, i cant get down there but will lend my huge boat esky if someone from Hervey Bay is going down,no rush to get it back as long as it does get back here.
cheers Nick
You Blokes and Girls deserve a big pat on the back
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Wow guys, you took it to a whole new level today, proud of you all.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thanks to all that came again today and helped out. It was pleasing to be able to help out so many people today especially with drinks in the ute. Thanks to Damo and Dallas for sitting on the tailgate of my ute for hours handing out drinks as I drove around with the aircon blowing!!

BBF are talking about doing something this week themsevles with the trailer, so if they do I will let you guys know just incase any of you are free, the guys today and yesturday are good at it now!! One thing I must say over the 2 days I did not see one negative person, they were all very thankful and positive which must be testing considering some of them have lost everything. Thanks to all the other volunteers that got out there and got dirty to help complete strangers..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work guys! Good to hear it went ballistic today, and that it was highly appreciated!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #30
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Good work guys! Good to hear it went ballistic today, and that it was highly appreciated!
+1 Being in Melbourne it's hard to fathom what's actually happening in all those communities up there. To see this sort of thing happen is fantastic, you guys are absolute champions.

Great work and i'm sure it was appreciated by everyone.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post