Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default "B Grade" Swimmer ducks charges

http://www.news.com.au/national/life...-1226207157789
Can't believe Swimming Australia on this one . Anything for a gold medal

Old 27-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "B Grade" Swimmer ducks charges

Does this set a precedent????
Old 27-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Well Swimming Australia have basically snubbed the law. ......I'd say it does big time.....
Old 27-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

He's young, he made an error in judgement. He came clean (eventually). He will be embarrassed, so if he has the balls to stand up and swim for his country with that background, then good on him. And the stories I've heard (read) about some Qld police - they should be the last ones pointing the "Hypocrite" finger.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

He's not a five year old kid, he's in his 20's...

I'm not sure lying is an 'error in judgement'...but this sets a dangerous precedent. Lets face it - it would appear he only came clean because someone stood up and said 'no, that didn't happen'...the same reason most people come clean after they've lied - they got caught out.

The fact that Swimming Australia are backing him...well, let's just say I'm not surprised...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Oh you just have to love the highlighted bit! This is not a kid we are talking about here. He is 23yrs of age. Lying is lying but to make up such an elaborate one....the whole thing stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
LYING Olympic swimmer Kenrick Monk has escaped a possible three-year jail term, with police top brass not charging the 23-year-old despite the fury of frontline officers.
The Queensland Police Union has labelled the Brisbane-based Monk a "wannabe B-grade celebrity athlete" protected by "Swimming Australia's faceless backroom club" after he avoided charges.

Union president Ian Leavers slammed Swimming Australia, which submitted a character reference to police supporting Monk.

"Swimming Australia now being caught red-handed being complicit in orchestrating Mr Monk out of being charged by police has to be the final nail in the coffin of (its) fast-sinking credibility."

"The public rightly expect that no one should deliberately waste the time of police, whether they be wannabe B-grade celebrity athletes like this modern day 'boy who cried wolf', or just regular people," Mr Leavers said.

"What this decision to not charge Mr Monk shows is that a very clear double standard is alive and well in Australia.

"It appears Swimming Australia has succumbed to the hypnotic allure of trying to win gold medals rather than to be concerned with the calibre of people who will wear the green and gold to represent our once proud nation."

Monk was fined by Swimming Australia and received a stern letter from top police.

On September 28, Monk made a false complaint to police, detailing an elaborate "hit and run" incident involving "hoons" when he in fact fell off his skateboard and broke his elbow in two places.

Two days later Monk decided to come clean after police told him a witness contradicted his account.

Swimming Australia chief Kevin Neil defended his organisation's backing of Monk and said the swimmer had been reprimanded internally.

"I am sure Mr Leavers is a fine and diligent president of the Queensland Police Union but I am not quite sure where he has gained his expertise to comment on the quality of the Australian swimming team," Mr Neil said.

The official police letter to Monk, obtained by The Sunday Mail states "undertakings" made by Swimming Australia had helped the Beijing Olympian avoid criminal charges.

The letter to Monk from assistant commissioner Peter Martin also dubs the swimmer "immature and irresponsible".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/life...#ixzz1erOgBVrp
Old 27-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
He's not a five year old kid, he's in his 20's...

I'm not sure lying is an 'error in judgement'...but this sets a dangerous precedent. Lets face it - it would appear he only came clean because someone stood up and said 'no, that didn't happen'...the same reason most people come clean after they've lied - they got caught out.

The fact that Swimming Australia are backing him...well, let's just say I'm not surprised...
agree. it seems he only came forward, because his story was unravelling. it was a major error of judgement - maybe his only one, maybe not. considering at the very least that police resources were used to catch someone that didn't exist, there must surely be some repercussions to the lie. it seems that he got off very lightly
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

I wonder how many police officers spent time investigating this? He should have been charged because;
* he made up the story to cover up the real accident.
* he even went on TV and radio asking the 'driver' to come forward
he's old enough to know better and should be held accountable for his actions. The other issue here is, what if was a performance enhancing drug he was offered? this situation has shown he will lie to cover his own a r s e and that nothing is too far. If he had told the truth, yes, people would think he was an idiot, now everyone knows he is a lying idiot.

There should be consequences. The fact remains if he was a nobody, he would have been charged. the message here is if you are a top level sportsperson, who stands a chance of winning something, the law does not apply.

Until the importance of medal potential outweighs the purpose of the law of the land and the police and the government in this country take a serious unified approach to stamping this kind of rubbish out and the sports institutes commit to either keeping their 'stars' in line, or punishing them when they don't, this sort of thing will continue to occur.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
I wonder how many police officers spent time investigating this? He should have been charged because;
* he made up the story to cover up the real accident.
* he even went on TV and radio asking the 'driver' to come forward
he's old enough to know better and should be held accountable for his actions. The other issue here is, what if was a performance enhancing drug he was offered? this situation has shown he will lie to cover his own a r s e and that nothing is too far. If he had told the truth, yes, people would think he was an idiot, now everyone knows he is a lying idiot.

There should be consequences. The fact remains if he was a nobody, he would have been charged. the message here is if you are a top level sportsperson, who stands a chance of winning something, the law does not apply.

Until the importance of medal potential outweighs the purpose of the law of the land and the police and the government in this country take a serious unified approach to stamping this kind of rubbish out and the sports institutes commit to either keeping their 'stars' in line, or punishing them when they don't, this sort of thing will continue to occur.
Most of the people that commented on this article at the bottom of the page agree with you.....
Old 27-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
He's young, he made an error in judgement. He came clean (eventually). He will be embarrassed, so if he has the balls to stand up and swim for his country with that background, then good on him. And the stories I've heard (read) about some Qld police - they should be the last ones pointing the "Hypocrite" finger.
Wow, that didn't take long for a bit of "Police Bashing"...... So he's young, made an error in Judgement, BUT he could win a medal for Australia. That's obviously more important , eh ?
Old 27-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

He should be made to pay the cost of the police investigation.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This is the problem with Australia, doesn't matter if you're a scumbag, criminal, rapist as long as you're an ace sports player everything can be hidden/overlooked and been seen as "heroes".
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's Australia. Common people where is your sporting spirit. Don't you know that it is the Australian way to throw millions of taxpayers money at sportsmen and women and treat them like gods. It's un Australian to treat them any otherway, becase everyone knows that winning at sport is whats really important.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
This is the problem with Australia, doesn't matter if you're a scumbag, criminal, rapist as long as you're an ace sports player everything can be hidden/overlooked and been seen as "heroes".
The US isn't much different.

Just ask Kobe and all the others who got away with it.

The only sportsman I can think of who didn't get away with it was Michael Vik, but that was out of the ordinary and they wanted to make an example of him.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post