Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Wise
DWF00N

Default "Give us our own Law" - Islamic Leaders

http://www.news.com.au/national/give...-1226092102637

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
ISLAMIC leaders want Muslims in Australia to get interest-free loans for religious reasons.

The nation's Islamic leaders want recognition of sharia law as it applies to banking practices, according to an exclusive Herald Sun survey of imams.

There was also a call for recognition of sharia law as it applies to family law.

Should Australia recognise some aspects of sharia law? Have your say below

The survey showed some imams are sceptical that Osama bin Laden's death will be of benefit to ordinary Muslims, and they are unhappy with the way US forces disposed of his body.

The survey has also revealed:

STRONG condemnation of MPs who criticise Muslim women for wearing the burqa/nijab.

CONCERN that ordinary Muslims are still being linked to terrorism.

DISGUST that innocent people in Muslim countries are being killed in the "war on terror".

The survey was conducted in the wake of a $55,000 Federal Government training program for imams on Australian laws and values.

They have been told to preach core Australian values such as the fair go, freedom, and responsibility.
Imam Yusuf Parker, from the Alhidayah Centre in Perth, said Australia should consider recognising sharia law as it applied to finance and family law matters.

Imam Parker said Islam forbade the charging or paying of interest "so finding interest-free loans will again help Muslims to practise their Islam better".

"Other than the two major issues mentioned, I don't see other sharia law that Muslims would seek to have legally recognised," he said.

Fellow WA imam Sheik Burhaan Mehtar said sharia law often was raised to scare non-Muslims, but a dialogue would lead to better understanding.

"Islamic banking and the non-slavery of humans is a classic example. Interest is slavery," he said.

Islamic Council of Victoria board member Nazeem Hussain said legal and tax barriers currently prevented local banks from offering Islamic finance products.

"That's a massive market ... we'd encourage the Government to seek ways to tap into that market," he said.

Imam Parker said bin Laden's demise might serve as closure for those convinced he masterminded the 9/11 attacks.

"But the reality is that the negative impact on Islam and Muslims has not changed, and it will take many decades for that to change," he said.

Sheik Burhaan Mehtar said the symbolic victory of bin Laden's death would remain hollow while people in nations such as Afghanistan suffered a "terror of death delivered from the skies" by the US and its allies.

Gold Coast imam Imraan Husain reflected a general view that bin Laden's burial at sea was a violation of Islamic funeral rites.

Victorian imam Sheik Ramy Najmeddine said Muslims felt there was an unfair link between terrorism and Islam.

"But we believe this is being broken down by the good work that members of both the Muslim and non-Muslim community are doing."

Sheik Mohamadu Saleem, a spokesman for Board of Imams Victoria, accused some MPs of trying to get political mileage out of the burqa issue. "It is mere political expediency," he said.

Victorian imam Abdinur Weli said: "If only Muslims are the people who are told what to wear, then it is discrimination."
This is not intended to be a religious/racial post before anyone starts...

Has anyone else seen this? What the hell?? You can't have 2 sets of law governing different bodies of a country, it just won't work!

Not long ago there was a debate about whether to allow Aboriginal communities to practice their own forms of law for members of their respective tribe as prescribed by the elders and that was turned down flat out by parliament on the grounds that we are a single nation and it would create dissent and be impossible to police the different bodies.

On a side note, I can't think of anything that would create a greater divide than interest free loans for someone of a specific religion. Keep in mind that whilst it says interest free, there is an ongoing fee that is comparable over a number of years, but it is still not the same amount as interest rates.

Now for sale - 30k
Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Give us our own Law" - Islamic Leaders

i'll worship satan himself for a no interest mortgage
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is rediculous, there are laws I don't agree with and would like changed, but just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I don't have to follow them, I don't think it is the case in any country, but laws and religion should be kept completely seperate. If your religous values conflict with a law, find somewhere else to live.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They can do interest free loans now.

If they want to loan each other money interest free that is their business, nothing to do with the rest of us.

I wonder why those who scream loudest over freedom of religion are the same ones who want everyone elses religion banned......
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I am a firm believer in when in Rome, do as the Romans do, but now that seems to mean i discriminate.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If I start my own religion can I get into free loans too, cause my religion also forbids paying interest on loans.

The paying of taxes is also against my religion, so that will need to be fixed too.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that there should not be two sets of laws - but there already is for those of us with demonstrable ties to an Aboriginal community.
Hmmm ... I must pop over to a muslim state and get an interest free loan.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I am happy for them to be able to practice their Law in Australia if it is applied to everything equally, as it would be back in their homeland..

You steal we cut off your hands..

You rape someone we kill you...

You do something stupid we stone you...

Not just the laws they want...its an all or nothing approach....

The above is said in somewhat jest....TBH You moved here for a better life...get with living within the community...we dont want to change to something you had to escape from...if you love that way of life so much..I am positive you know where the Airport is and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Craig
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
TBH You moved here...get with living within the community...we dont want to change to something you had to escape from...if you love that way of life so much..I am positive you know where the Airport is and dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Yep thats my thoughts too. This is Australia. Be thankfull you get the opportunity to live in such a great land..

Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
It is rediculous, there are laws I don't agree with and would like changed, but just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I don't have to follow them, I don't think it is the case in any country, but laws and religion should be kept completely seperate. If your religous values conflict with a law, find somewhere else to live.
Damn right, particularly the bit in Red!!

They come here for a new life, not re-create the one they walked away from.....

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Gawd talk about a can of worms, honestly I think they bring this type of thing up just to stir the pot knowing full well it will never happen.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine if Australians went to their country and tried to have Australian laws and customs approved.
They would be told to GTFO
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Imagine if Australians went to their country and tried to have Australian laws and customs approved.
They would be told to GTFO
What like in Indonesia?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

In a secular democracy such as Australia, religion has no place in shaping or informing the laws of the country - we are all equal under law and that is how it should stay. If these morons want Australia to be like the old country, perhaps they should exercise their right to return there.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Who reckons the Burqa should banned in public??? Anybody???
Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise
This is not intended to be a religious/racial post before anyone starts...
unfortunately though, that's exactly what it is.
Closed Thread