Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #31
SiKoRa_eL_97

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
Yeah I agree. I was born in 76 and grew up in a place called Rowville in the SE suburbs of melb. It was almost farming contry when I was little. Our block is a 1 acre lot. Never ever used to lock stuff at night never had a fence around the back yard or pool. People used to use each others yards. The next door neighbour actually had a bit of a vegie patch in our yard. I used to ride my motorbike up and down the street in other peoples front yards, anyway you get the picture. Then in the mid 80's the housing boom started. The farm across the road went then the market gardens the next thing ya know they had built 70,000 hoses in one year!!!!! at its peak. It was the fastest growin suburb in aus at one stage.
Now you can hardly move in that ****hole of a suburb. Bloody 16 yearold ice head kids breakin into everything in sight and runnin around like they own the joint. Never had any problems with any neighbours and we have had proberbly 10 different ones in 7 years. I don't live in rowville but may parents still do and the guy that moved in next door a few weeks back has already started ****. He reckons my dog barks too much. What? Anyway he rings my mum and starts yelling at her " your f n dog has been barken for the last 2 hours" mum says mate don't exagerate the dogs barked 3 or 4 times in the last hour max ive been listening. He goes " well f n do somethin about it or youll see" ????????? My mum hung up on him.. Now the dog has been sick for the last few days ie chuckin up and not being herself. Now I have no proof but what am I suposed to do about this guy???
I wan't to be civil out: . I would like him to deal with me if he has a problem after all it is my dog and I do own half the house. Anyone got any suggestion on how to deal with this dude???
Apart from tearin him a new one. You just don't need to act like that to my mum shes a 70 yr old italian lady that has never said a bad thing about anyone in her life.
Sorry for goin on so much but I feel very pasionate about where I grew up it was an ace place to live but it is being ruined by ****heads what do I do????
Few tips
1. Balaclava
2. Baseball Bat
3. Fast Car
Smash everywindow in the front of the house and jus get the hell outta there cops wouldnt come that fast and if u do it at night u got np i seriously would do this 2 someone that was abusing my mum or dad cause i have a lot of family pride and i wouldnt want nethin 2 happen to them

Ps. i live in Noble park but i have been to Roville many times for parties and going to mates house now when ever you go their friday saturday nights parties 24/7

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #32
SiKoRa_eL_97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Ok ok thinking like this makes you think you're descending the other side of the hill....

But WHAT is wrong with people these days in general? I run quite often around the banks of the lovely Torrens here in Adelaide and it makes me wonder whats wrong with the word 'gday' these days...

How hard is it just to smile or acknowledge someone walking or running out there on their own, brightens up peoples days. Old people do it. Some young lassies do it (now now), but generally people walk around studying the black ****e between their toes when you're passing them.

???
i usually go on jogs in the morning and i now realise people dont say good morning to me anymore. I usually say it unless im really puffed out or i just nod my head

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #33
Dezza
Parts bin special

I'm down a fairly quiet court, and have fairly friendly neighbours. I have an older couple across the street who are really nice, and even lend us their lawn mower. I repay them with oranges and lemons. On one side, we've got a family who we get on fairly well with. Diagonally, there is a bloke in his 50s who is nice except for when he's drunk. He came over drunk one night, accused me of sleeping with his granddaughter, and started abusing my housemate's friend. The rest of the time he's a nice bloke. On the other side of us, there are a family who are a bit weird. We've never talked to them. They don't seem very friendly.

I grew up on a farm, so I know all about Melbourne people not being as friendly as country Victorians. I used to know everyone down my street and I'd ride my bike around to neighbours all the time. Everybody would say hello. In Melbourne, nobody would care.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like my neighbourhood as you call it. Everyone keeps their nose out of everyone elses business. It goes as far as a hello and thats about it. Perfectly quite street setting without whiners

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I like my neighbourhood as you call it. Everyone keeps their nose out of everyone elses business. It goes as far as a hello and thats about it. Perfectly quite street setting without whiners
I don't think knowing neighbours ever brought any sense of "whiners", as you'd interact with them like you would with a friend. And being a good friend, you'd give some slack if they did annoy you. It isn't worth blowing up over petty crap.

Nowdays, people want a punchup because a twig from your tree is growing over the fence.

The culture of neighbourhood is changing.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #36
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've put up with whiners/apparently friendly people at my last house. I prefer "hi","how are you?" and leave it at that. I'm not interested in conversing with my neighbours. They have no common interests and are atleast 15-20 years my senior. They know I'm a reasonable person who makes no noise and when I do it's for a short time. Hence no complaints.

My last house I couldn't even get up my stone driveway in a standard car without the neighbour coming out to complain about noise. I ended up having to raise my voice and so did my wife. Her complaints were BS. She even went to the extreme and started to complain on the phone to us. Yes, she got our ph number! It's this kind of neighbour that makes you want to hide. I'm surprised I didn't get a complaint about the whipper snipper or lawn mower. In the end if she died in her home. I wouldn't have known due to the fact I had to hide from her to avoid complaints of noise from the stones in my driveway! From the time you turned the car off, you had 10-15secs to get inside otherwise you'd cop it.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #37
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
LOL wicked idea. Nah I'm goin there today and this time I am gonna say somethin cause its gettin beyond a joke. He was yellin at my Dad yesterday and the dog had been lying in is bed sick all day theres no way it barked. Whats up with these people???
How did it go bud, i grew up in Burwood ,Victoria and we had great neighbors mind you we had our arguments but basically we all got on ,my best friends were Aussies and Italians , i live in Queensland seaside area now and we all knew each other until last 3 years when house prices went sky high,now they just give you dirty looks and dont speak except for one couple next door in there 60's who are great, old Pommy bloke moved in next to me on other side and he is a dead set peice of sh&t, always complaining about me to Police, Housing Commision,Council, was polite until he found out off another neighbour that my house was a Queensland Housing Commision place then he would stand on my front lawn with video camera if i was working on my car,next few days some official would turn up at my door and find something to harass me on, i have just brought a 351 inboard ski boat as i love them but added bonus is i can park it next to his back door in my sideway and start it up everyday or so as im so sick of being the person making heaps of changes to shut him up that ive decided i cant keep him happy so its my turn for some good old revenge. lol have any of you heard an inboard with over transome pipes.
you can bend over backwards to keep them happy but a ***** is a ***** no matter what you do.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #38
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Would not a community as you spoke of only need to rest in peace if everyone including yourself gave up?

These old guys in a way have passed the battern to you, thats how it works.
Thankyou Pete - very well put.

Uranium Death - i wish not to annoy or offend here, so bear with me. I wish to poke and prod...

But instead of venting your moralistic woes from atop the internet high horse - why arent you out pressing the flesh of your neighbours? You insist that the concept of community has failed yet this is what you consider taking action?

I wish not to attack your views but rather to gain a better understanding of how you came to the view that you know best?

A cursory glance through this thread suggests that i would enjoy living near a man like Brenx. I wish no hostility upon my neighbours, when we pass in the street we smile and say hello... how are you... nice day for it... and we move on. I dont know their names, they dont know mine. We like it like that.

Our neighbours have a lot of social functions, we look the other way when someone parks their car halfway across our driveway - and the neighbours dont complain when we have people round for drinks and a bit of reasonably loud music.

So do not make the fatal mistake of mistaking choice with laziness or ill intent. We dont all share your views - this does not make us wrong, nor you right.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #39
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I wish to look at the fallen concept of a "neighboorhood".
You are to be congratulated for caring.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's so I'm in a reasonable position to relate to what you are saying.

I really don't wish to get into a simplistic discussion regarding a very complex and wide ranging subject but may I suggest that if you feel strongly about it, that you do something about it.

Perhaps you could contact your local state and federal members to voice your concerns and enquire as to whether they have suggestions for creating greater "community spirit" in your street.
Your local council may also be a good point of enquiry.

Good luck with it.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #40
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

I used to live in Brisbane, where I hate to admit that Neighbours arguing, swearing and the odd fist fight, along with throwing god knows what over eachother's fences, was a daily occurrance - I moved to Yeppoon, north east of Rockhampton, a sleepy little beach/country community, and the differences are markable. Where in Brisbane you don't speak to your neighbour unless it starts with the illicit f's or c's - here its a totally different way of life. Everyone is friendly, welcoming and for example throws a huge street party for the 3rd and deciding state of origin and everyones watches it on a "donated" prjector unit care of the local school, brings their own steaks and amber coloured refreshments and has a great night seeing the mighty maroons finally win the series... No fights, just a good night had by all...
I think people in the "burbs" have forgotten how to be friendly and that life is alot easier when you have a smile on your face...
Just my two cents worth...
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #41
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Thankyou Pete - very well put.

Uranium Death - i wish not to annoy or offend here, so bear with me. I wish to poke and prod...

But instead of venting your moralistic woes from atop the internet high horse - why arent you out pressing the flesh of your neighbours? You insist that the concept of community has failed yet this is what you consider taking action?

I wish not to attack your views but rather to gain a better understanding of how you came to the view that you know best?

A cursory glance through this thread suggests that i would enjoy living near a man like Brenx. I wish no hostility upon my neighbours, when we pass in the street we smile and say hello... how are you... nice day for it... and we move on. I dont know their names, they dont know mine. We like it like that.

Our neighbours have a lot of social functions, we look the other way when someone parks their car halfway across our driveway - and the neighbours dont complain when we have people round for drinks and a bit of reasonably loud music.

So do not make the fatal mistake of mistaking choice with laziness or ill intent. We dont all share your views - this does not make us wrong, nor you right.
Your expectation of neighbourhood is different to mine.

I'm only 23...still in nappies from a life-experience point of view, but in my area neighbours knew everybody, spoke about their families (non-gossip), education, work, interests etc. We shared each other's lives.

One thing I've learned is that you should remain open to everybody's experiences and interests, otherwise you won't get any better yourself (as a human). So even if they bore you, still listen as I think there can be value gained from everything, good or bad.

For me, saying hello is a simple acknowledgement that although is fantastic, in no way emulates the neighbourhood that was present where I live.

And the fact that two neighbours died is further acknowledgement that the days of talking to neighbours and appreciating their lives are gone down the potty with about 50 rolls of Sorbent with it.

As if you read what I said earlier, they don't WANT a neighbourhood. They'll give the "**** off" if you try to become involved.

The days are gone. The point of this post was to express my sadness at the passing of the concept, and for others to share their experiences.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #42
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The days are gone. The point of this post was to express my sadness at the passing of the concept, and for others to share their experiences.
As difficult a concept as it may be to digest, i am familiar with your concept of neighbourhood. Im 25, so fair to say we're in a similar ballpark there... my memories of neighbourhood stem back to the mid 80s and I lived with my family in a town called Woodside. A very small community in the further parts of the Adelaide Hills. One of those places where everyone knows everyone... it's still like that to this day.

Ive always thought it was a symptom of the time in which we lived there as opposed to the community itself being resonsible for the overwelming sense of neighbourhood. i.e. The 80's.

Pop music, netball, catchy singalong songs on the cricket broadcast, horrific clothing, drink driving, afforable public liability cover.... dunno, hard to explain - people seemed more friendly then than they do now...

I used to take the ol' BMX down to the local track, ride around with the other kids (all of whom lived within walking distance of our house) and usually end up at one of their places for cottees cordial and vegemite sandwiches. The parents would essentially be forced to know each other as they attempted to round us up Out the door at 9... back home before dark.

Now i see familiy friends with a son of a similar age. The kid knows how to set up a wireless ADSL router from scratch, has hundreds of cars in Turismo 4 and a downloaded movie collection on the computer that would make Bill Collins green with envy. He doesnt lack social skills - must be 50 people on his MSN list. But he catches a bus across the other side of the city to see his friends from school.

I cant relate to how things "used to be" from an adults perspective. I never bothered to understand how the relationship between my parents and the neighbours worked... whether it was simple politeness or genuine friendship. If it's something they miss, or something they're glad they got away from.

Lol. What a useless post thatt's been. Try and save it now....

Im sure, uranium, that there's an underlying reason to the paradigm shift we've observed over the past 15 years. Dare i say you might be able to figure that out with a thread like this.

Maybe the answer is to move back to small towns
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #43
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I'm an 84 Baby. I Grew up in the Neighbourhood of a Suburb called Tenambit near Maitland in NSW.. I was in a Cul-de-sac And we were always having our neighbours over and vice versa. I spent my Childhood growing up with great neighbours to play with and birthday parties with the kids next door or over the back fence..we were always out exploring on our pushies, climbing up tree's and hurting ourselves and scaring each other silly with urban myths. When I was a Cub and Scout, I would do bob-a-job's for the neighbours and other people in neighbouring streets and they were always more than willing to buy fund-raising choc's off me. Ok, there were the derro's on the corner and the neighbourhood bullies but It was a great childhood, and a happy neighbourhood shaped me into the person I am today

Things started to go a little pear shaped in the mid nineties though...We decided to move to a small country town called Paterson as appose to a world trip. We still had neighbours we would talk to and occasionly have over for drinks but it wasnt the same as in Tenambit.
Then we got some new neighbours, a lovely family and It was great. We'd visit each other on the odd weekend for drinks and nibbles, play soccer and cricket with the kids, I really got allong well with the Dad as we were both into music and drums. We'd drop in on each other for a beer and a chat from time to time and share drumming tips. He tried to mow our lawn on one occasion as he had a ride-on and we didnt but it was too steep... (hense why we didnt own a mower ;))it was the thought that counted. No one else in the town would really talk to us as all, appart from my Parents occasionally when they were out on a Walk with the Dog or whatever

I now live in Perth in an Appartment complex and as Nice as it is, everyone keeps to themselves, you get the odd smile here and there but its just not the same. I find that this is a growing trend in general and it is saddening. Long Live close-knit Neighbourhoods
Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Originally Posted by Racecraft
the deep fried skin of an elves scrotum is better than a maccas chip..Not that I would know

Was in your sig Bucket...

Was just thinking...if he doesn't know, how can he make such a judgement on the taste of deep friend elf scrotum?

Hmm...I question...:P
Old 06-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #45
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
I'm an 84 Baby. I Grew up in the Neighbourhood of a Suburb called Tenambit near Maitland in NSW.. I was in a Cul-de-sac And we were always having our neighbours over and vice versa. I spent my Childhood growing up with great neighbours to play with and birthday parties with the kids next door or over the back fence..we were always out exploring on our pushies, climbing up tree's and hurting ourselves and scaring each other silly with urban myths. When I was a Cub and Scout, I would do bob-a-job's for the neighbours and other people in neighbouring streets and they were always more than willing to buy fund-raising choc's off me. Ok, there were the derro's on the corner and the neighbourhood bullies but It was a great childhood, and a happy neighbourhood shaped me into the person I am today

Things started to go a little pear shaped in the mid nineties though...We decided to move to a small country town called Paterson as appose to a world trip. We still had neighbours we would talk to and occasionly have over for drinks but it wasnt the same as in Tenambit.
Then we got some new neighbours, a lovely family and It was great. We'd visit each other on the odd weekend for drinks and nibbles, play soccer and cricket with the kids, I really got allong well with the Dad as we were both into music and drums. We'd drop in on each other for a beer and a chat from time to time and share drumming tips. He tried to mow our lawn on one occasion as he had a ride-on and we didnt but it was too steep... (hense why we didnt own a mower ;))it was the thought that counted. No one else in the town would really talk to us as all, appart from my Parents occasionally when they were out on a Walk with the Dog or whatever

I now live in Perth in an Appartment complex and as Nice as it is, everyone keeps to themselves, you get the odd smile here and there but its just not the same. I find that this is a growing trend in general and it is saddening. Long Live close-knit Neighbourhoods
You would be barely 14 months older then my nephew.