Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Shifting into N at the lights

Sorry if this seems a silly subject, but something I've been thinking about and I think others may do it also.
Recently, I've developed a habit of shifting into Nuetral when stopped at traffic lights. Do it every time now whether driving the new Territory or in the old Escape.
I noticed in the new Territory that the instant fuel reading drops as soon as I put it in N, so I assume I am reducing consumption as well as load on the gearbox.
I do a lot of stop-start peak hour driving, so my question is: am I doing more harm than good to the gearbox by constantly shifting between D and N?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: Shifting into N at the lights

Hi there! Every time you select d again it activates the bands in the box to select first. This will eventually lead to premature wear of the bands. So short term fuel savings but long term gearbox failure.

Not recommended!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Ok, thanks, glad I posted the question.
Will try to break the habit ASAP.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Haha no worries mate! Good call

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a test with this on my BF with the ZF 6 speed. Fuel consumption in gear was identical to neutral- 1.3L/hr. There will be a different result with the 4 speed because the torque converter, idle speed, internal design are different.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I do it in the FIL's BFII ute ... cos the engine mounts are dead and the whole ute vibrates like crazy when stationary in D. Been like this for a long time as well ... as he CBF replacing the engine amounts again in it.

Oh ... ye old original 4-speed has done 500,000km on factory heat exchanger and original fill transmission fluid as well. Still shifts good even when cold.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
superyob
Banned

I sometimes shift into neutral to prevent my brutal 220 horsepower 302W accidentally breaking through the intersection when stopped at a red light...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I opt for neutral (BTR 4 sp) when at traffic lights, when it looks like a longish wait. I find it's easier to just idle, with minimal pressure on the brake pedal.

I wouldn't have thought this practice would place additional wear and tear on the tranny at all - It's just part and parcel of regular driving and transmission use.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I opt for neutral when my left foot aches on the clutch pedal. What is this D you talk of?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
I opt for neutral (BTR 4 sp) when at traffic lights, when it looks like a longish wait. I find it's easier to just idle, with minimal pressure on the brake pedal.

I wouldn't have thought this practice would place additional wear and tear on the tranny at all - It's just part and parcel of regular driving and transmission use.
I also shift to N if it's going to be more than 30 seconds or so waiting times.

Have done this for the last 40 years in many vehicles and never had any issues with premature transmission failures etc.
Old 23-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Sioso
irregular member

If you decide to get on the brake while in "N" there will only be loud revving - no spinning or smoking, best to leave it in "D"
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hi there! Every time you select d again it activates the bands in the box to select first. This will eventually lead to premature wear of the bands. So short term fuel savings but long term gearbox failure.

Not recommended!
Modern gearbox such as the ZF does not have bands, uses clutch packs.
Old 23-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
adumb
FG G6ET

Good habit to have to keep your discs from warping too especially after a hard/long stop.
Old 23-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Slipping it into neutral won't have any negative effect on the tranny.
In fact I believe Ford recommend this practice on very hot days in traffic.

I should add though, I can't see it saving much fuel, the torque convertor isn't locked up at idle anyhow, so the load on the engine is negligible.

Last edited by Sox; 23-12-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

How about shifting into N while going down an incline? Is this detrimental to the transmission?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
How about shifting into N while going down an incline? Is this detrimental to the transmission?
Shouldn't really worry it either, but I can't see why you'd want to.
Old 23-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Shouldn't really worry it either, but I can't see why you'd want to.
Just a weird tendency I developed. Kind of like the feeling of saving a few calories by not pedalling the pushbike while it is rolling downhill.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As long as the idle speed of the engine can spin the input shaft fast enough to pump enough oil to lubricate the bearings in the box, then it's all good.

They advise not to tow for long periods (or higher speeds) if you're spinning he tailshaft without the gearbox actually operating, as they rely on the pressure pump & circulating oil to lube it all.

In the old days they advised N as torque convertors did place a fair bit of drag on the crank, and generated heat this way, but it was more that the engine driven fan would spin at a slightly faster speed, and this would help with cooling.

In this day & age of thermo fans, this is no longer needed.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
4dlvr
4dlvr

i put it in P because i cant be bothered keeping my foot on the brake!
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Might be detrimental to your health - I was taught N is angel gear, as you'll eventually be surrounded by angels if you decide to use while driving.
Disconnecting the drivetrain from the motor will cause the car to behave differently, coast through a corner or roundabout while in N or have the clutch depressed and see how different it behaves , more here:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-fuel-economy/
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the Corvair I put the 'ole PowerGlide into neutral if waiting at lights ... transmission is aircooled

[ Younger readers might need to look that one up ]
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
Optional

Can't answer the transmission damage question but I think it leaves you unable to react to an emergency if needed.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #23
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed the same thing with my ZF, the current fuel use does seem to drop a little. Unsure it'd make much of a difference, but I do sometimes swap it over if it's a long wait.

Surely if anything is going to cause excess wear it'd be sitting with the brake on while your car is trying to move? Switching it to N feels like it's suddenly not pulling on the leash and is relaxing.

Of course, you'll never win the traffic light drag race that way.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably no noticeably but most engines switch fuel injection off if your coasting in gear (Falcons have done this since the EA's 4spd introduction), switching in neutral will cause the engine to drop to idle revs and effectively use more fuel vs leaving it in gear.

I wouldn't want to wack my Grand Cherokee in neutral while driving with it's 'slapstick' shifter though, probably get reverse if the computer doesn't lock it out!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #25
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
Can't answer the transmission damage question but I think it leaves you unable to react to an emergency if needed.
This.

I was sitting at the lights when I could see the car behind me was about to get heavily rear ended so in the split second I had I went forward, if I had have stayed in the same spot I would have been hit as well by the car behind me.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a weird tendency I developed. Kind of like the feeling of saving a few calories by not pedalling the pushbike while it is rolling downhill.
If you are going downhill with no throttle, you will use more fuel on neutral than you will in gear. In neutral the engine is idling, burning fuel to keep the engine at 700rpm and prevent it from stalling. In gear, gravity is pulling the vehicle, rotating the wheels, driveshaft, transmission, and engine with no need to burn fuel. Unless a high compression engine is providing too much resistance, in gear is best.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #27
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow i cant believe how much damage I am doing to my car warped discs , worn out bands and not enough oil to lubricate my transmission makes you want to buy a manual.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #28
66GT

I was taught to leave in gear whether auto or manual, as above to move quickly if required & also in the unfortunate case where you are hit hard by some idiot, the vehicle hopefully will either stall or not take of uncontrollably potentially creating more of an issue. I've also been lightly hit in both the front & rear by people in N & rolling.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one advantage of leaving the transmission in drive is the gearbox is locked in first gear and is not turning wearing bearings and clutch packs the down side is the torque converter is slipping generating slightly more heat so there is for and against for selecting neutral or drive.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #30
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are MYTHBUSTERS when you need them.

Not that it means much, but I've been in a fair share of Taxi'a and never noticed them do it.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post