Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Trinhy

Default Wheel & tyre size suggestions please

Hi I just picked up a 2012 Fiesta CL, looking to change the stock steel rims (hubcaps) with bigger wheels. Im thinking 17's with higher (not low) profile tyres as i dont want to lower the car but dont want big empty guards either. Is this possible or would it be better to get 16's with big tyres, im open to any suggestions?

Trinhy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheel & tyre size suggestions please

If you get bigger wheels and don't get lower profile tyres, then your overall wheel diameter gets bigger, and the speedo and odometer are both out. The onboard electronics can be adjusted by a Ford dealer to allow for this, but it will cost you.

Otherwise, the only way to fill the guards is to lower the car. The Eibach pro-springs, which are manufacturer approved (by Ford Europe, at least), only lower the car about 30mm. I've got them myself, and the car looks and handles better for it.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I've got 17s running 215/40 Yokohama A Drives. The Yokohamas are brilliant, done 30K km on them so far and they still look brand new (I run them at 42 psi): great traction and decent feel thru the electric steering (but still not as good as my old Mirages hydraulic set up, mind). But, a warning, for an everyday driver I'd stick with 16s as a max diameter, especially if you're on Sydneys third world roads. The Fez has a firm suspension set up and the 17s will see you wishing it was softer.... It doesn't bother me so much, but just my opinion..
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Trinhy

Thanks guys, I ended up getting 17's with 205/40 Kumho tyres. I have done about 100kms with them on some pretty crappy roads and its a bit harder on some potholes but I ham very happy with them so far.
Trinhy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
If you get bigger wheels and don't get lower profile tyres, then your overall wheel diameter gets bigger, and the speedo and odometer are both out. The onboard electronics can be adjusted by a Ford dealer to allow for this, but it will cost you.

Otherwise, the only way to fill the guards is to lower the car. The Eibach pro-springs, which are manufacturer approved (by Ford Europe, at least), only lower the car about 30mm. I've got them myself, and the car looks and handles better for it.
I find my Focus a tad too low on the factory 16" wheels with those springs.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
trento
Audiophile

I'm running 205/40/17s as well and have been now for 60k kms. Personally I am starting to think the ride is a bit rough but they just look so damn good. Haven't lowered the car as the front is already low from the factory.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

You should get the Eibachs, it would make a huge difference...I got them quite cheap when the dollar was good from here... http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordfiesta.aspx

With the 17"s and lower profile tyres it's definitely rougher as said above, but that's what you expect. Definitely wouldn't go higher then 205/40/17 as you will probably get rubbing.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post