Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!

This is a long thread, so be warned!

I'll start from the beginning. Driving to work this morning for the very last time in the EF, i started to think about what i'd miss about it. I had a few things, but of course the thing i'll miss most is just being able to put the foot down and watch it go. I loved the sound, the feeling and the power! Ah well.

Gave it one last wash at Carlovers, then it sat in the warehouse at work all day. Must say it was rather bad looking at it, i really didnt want to leave it at the dealers this afternoon.

Nevertheless, the time came and I drove down to the dealers to find the Focus all ready to go. All full up with premium, detailed, perfect interior, all set. Signed all the forms, shake of the hand and the keys were in my hand ready to go.
The first drive was a very short one - all of 10m in fact, round to Spares to pick up the wheels, mats, indicators and a few other things for the AU. Loaded it all up and have the cargo area its first real test (it passed), and off we went.

It takes a little getting used to driving a Focus, im very used to the acres of glass to see through in the EF, and one of the things ive noticed in driving this car the few times i have so far is that it obviously feels a lot more cramped in than the EF (duh i hear you say). I cant get over just how small the rearview mirror is in comparison, but i have no complaints with it. Even with a boot full of stuff i managed to see everything i needed to. Still getting used to the blind spots though.

I was intending to have the 17" rims put on today, but ran out of time, so i dropped them off and they'll be going on tomorrow. Should look a lot better than the 15's that are on it now, they're good, but they're too small for my liking. Would suit a Fiesta better : :Reverend: .

I spent a bit of time just getting used to the new controls and layout, it's quite good but some of the controls are a little tricky at first - it took me a good 5 minutes to find highbeam and figure out how to make it stay on. Im not keen on the placement of it, but i'll get used to it im sure. The highbeam vision is very good though, which is a must because 90% of my driving is country driving.

A few dislikes about the interior (mainly lack-ofs as its a CL though, will go through these later).Lots of black plastic, but i'll get used to that and its by no means the ugliest dash in the world, i am getting used to it and quite like it.

Exterior wise i cant fault it, i really like the shape and design of them. Mine actually has mudflaps installed but they'll be coming off this weekend (earlier if i can find the time).The rear foglight will also be converted to a reverse light over the weekend (many thanks to Matt (Zetec) for talking me through this, but dont think youre out of the woods just yet lol). Headlights are quite good, although i may change the bulbs to Plus 50's just for that 'modified' feel :hihi:.The foglights are also VERY good, except the back one - its just stupid IMHO.

The side indicators - argh, these things are driving me mad and ive only had the damn car 4 hours. I just cannot get them out and i dont have the guts to just yank them. The clear ones are sitting here ready to go so i'll have a play with the tomorrow and see if i can get them, i guess it doesnt matter if i break the old ones but id like to try not to!

The auto transmission is fine, yes, you read right, its fine. It may not have as much guts as its manual brother (but what car does), but for what it is, it's damn good unit. Not intrusive to drive at all either, it does its work and lets you do yours in peace. I still manage to get it to go ok anyway - plant you foor hard enough and anything will!

My only little gripes/issues about the car are.....

* My beloved centre console between the seats - miss this really badly as i used to lean my elbow on it when driving. I keep looking for it in the Focus, and i do plan to see if i can find a model that has one, and fit it into mine. Its a good thing to have IMHO.

* It's rather dark in the back (no lights!). I would have liked at least some reading lights above the back doors (a la Falcons) that come on when you get in and out, its a very dark looking area back there. The cargo area is also a bit dark, but that doesnt really bother me.

* Power windows and mirrors - its a CL, i expected this, its not much of an issue. Just more of a 'I want!I want!' kinda thing. I may install them a bit later on anyway.

* Footwell lights - i had these in the EF and loved them. I havent yet looked in the Focus but im assuming there is provision for them, i hope so anyway. If there is they'll be going in on the weekend.

* One little problem im having is a clearance issue with the antenna - keeps hitting the vines growing over the carport roof. This is more a case of them being too long than the antenna being wrong though!

* Seats take a bit of getting used to but are by no means the worst ive ever sat on. My EF was a little comfier (probably cos the seats were broken in better), and im sure over time the assgroove will start to appear in the Focus seats :hihi:.

* I really hate the door open chimes and the seatbelt chimes - anyone know if its possible to turn these off? If so they're gone, they shit me.

* The bonnet tricked me but it is a really good idea and im glad its the way it is.

In the coming weeks the indicators will be fitted (if i can work them out), a leather steering wheel is coming (again thanks to Zetec), K&N filter, debadging and a few other little things im keen to have/lose/try.
So thats about it so far - obviously there's plenty more little things i need to explore and try out and get used to, but overall I'm very, very pleased with the purchase. I havent put pics up as yet cos im waiting on the rims and removing the mudflaps, but they'll be coming very soon.

Thanks again to all who have helped me out with my many questions - much appreciated!
Old 13-04-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Yeah the focus blindspots are crazy after driving my falcon for sooo long. And the indicators are really touchy you go to turn them off and they will start in the opposite direction.
The accelarator pedal is so small and really close to the brake pedal, and the brakes are awesome for the car. Steering is wicked, and the lights as you said are good.
What else....hmmmmm......
LOL when i got back in my falcon went to indicate to go right turned on the windscreen wipers, but then again i'm sure everyone would make that mistake of putting on the windscreen wipers instead of indicators...
Well thats my miniture assesment of a focus SR, good lil car.
Old 13-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

A big warm welcome and a wish for MANY happy years of trouble free motoring filled with the same enjoyment you has in your EF!
Old 13-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical_ED
the brakes are awesome for the car.
Agreed. Mine has discs all round and ABS (which is somewhat rare for a CL im told) and it stops on a bloody 10 cent piece. Absolutely fantastic and a real comfort to know it has the ability to do that.

Thanks for the welcome (and the help) Matt. Looking forward to learning a bit more about these cars and their owners in the future! :sm_headba _2:
Old 14-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Hehehe Bak2, I laughed when I read your thread, as most of your gripes were similar to mine! Other than the focus Dash, lack of power windows, and mirrors (mine has all that), I found that I had similar sentiments. Like the lack of a centre console, or lights in the back!

I remember my first drive i went to flash the headlights at someone and washed the rear window, while i made a turn I turned on the wipers etc. High beams too me ages to work out as did the foggies!

I can relate to you actually, I drove a 2 litre Focus CL automatic today as a courtesy thrasher when mine was in at Courtney Patterson Ford getting the scuffplates, floor mats, Fiesta Debadgement and a cut and polish. I found the seats too a lil unssupportive, and the auto quite sluggish. I've never been a focus dash fan (looks like some samurai took to it), i prefer the classy fully integrated elegance of the black and brushed aluminium look of the Fiesta interrior (but then im biased ).

Outside the focus, you cant fault them can ya, theyre a gorgeous car with great lines and they have a lot of presence on the road. Congrats! Both of us from e-series to euro!
cheers
-Dan

Last edited by Danny; 14-04-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
My only little gripes/issues about the car are.....

* My beloved centre console between the seats - miss this really badly as i used to lean my elbow on it when driving. I keep looking for it in the Focus, and i do plan to see if i can find a model that has one, and fit it into mine. Its a good thing to have IMHO.
Nope no centre consoles on any of them, not even my ST has one of them

Quote:
* It's rather dark in the back (no lights!). I would have liked at least some reading lights above the back doors (a la Falcons) that come on when you get in and out, its a very dark looking area back there. The cargo area is also a bit dark, but that doesnt really bother me.
I turn the light off in the back 1/2 of my car and just have the front light on when i get in/out at nite

Quote:
* Footwell lights - i had these in the EF and loved them. I havent yet looked in the Focus but im assuming there is provision for them, i hope so anyway. If there is they'll be going in on the weekend.
Yep they can be added in, there should just be a little spot to put them and a bit of wiring iirc

Quote:
* I really hate the door open chimes and the seatbelt chimes - anyone know if its possible to turn these off? If so they're gone, they shit me.
Nope they are there to stay

Quote:
In the coming weeks the indicators will be fitted (if i can work them out),
http://www.eurofordclub.com/clearsideindicators.html

See there for a great guide on how to change them

Chris

Last edited by fordel; 14-04-2005 at 02:50 AM.
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'm glad you finally took delivery of your Focus.

I think the things that you find weird now, you will never look back at. I loathe getting in cars that I can't adjust my headlights in, such as our old BA Falcon. I love the stereo / lighting / environmental control setup and again, hate getting back into other cars less dynamically set up.

And yes, read the write up on how to change the side indicators - see how we did it. Use the experience of the club - read up on the tips for modding your car.

Otherwise, congratulations and get some photos up at some stage.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
hambo_12

Mate that sounds great, im glad your happy.

Excuse the ignorance, but what colour is it? Ill keep an eye out!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Reece, its Ink Blue in colour with the 17" rims.

Tim and fordel - i have read the guide to the indicators a few times now, had it with me when i was trying and still found it a bit difficult to do. I just didnt want to break anything so i took it easy, ill be a bit firmer with it when i try again.

Danny - i guess it was always going to happen - us having the same gripes mainly cos we've gone from the same kind of car to new similar ones. The auto is ok, my emphasis is comfort and ability while driving - not flat out speed. In other words, im too lazy to change gears :hihi:.

You're right though, it's all just a matter of getting used to it, and thats exactly what i plan to do.

Oh, and one more gripe - the horn is GAY!py: How am i supposed to express my road rage with a horn that sounds like a mouse fart?! out:

The mats are in, the scuffplates and leather wheel are on the way, and ill investigate the footwell light situation at some stage.

Last edited by b2tf; 14-04-2005 at 12:49 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
brother

Here ya go, footwell lights how to:
http://www.torquesteer.co.uk/store/d...92697f5f4cf503
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

the loom and sockets for the footwell lights are already there. I put some 20cm green neons on the other day. I dont like neons that much, but i saw them in my gf's dads maloo and thought it looked sweet. They're only on when the door opens and turn off with the interior light. The sockets have a black wire and an orange wire coming out of them if i remember correctly. If im wrong, ill repost.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

They may be there in a Zetec but that doesnt neccesarily mean they're in a CL does it? I havent looked yet but i dont think they'll be there on mine - that would be far too easy.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

I thought I'd add to this just to give the point of view from someone who has switched from a Falcon to a Focus.

Was wet weather today, raining for most of the day, and i also got my 17" rims fitted.

This car is bloody good in the wet - it didnt feel like a smaller car at all, it actually felt more stable and secure than my EF did. Granted the EF is no real comparison, but the Focus held its ground and proved to be a very capable car - i especially like having the rear window wiper.
The 17's are a great looking wheel, and i found a little extra stability on the road over the normal 15's. But of course these were put on purely for looks, so anything else is a bonus.

The engine is very quiet - forgot to mention this yesterday. It was actually so quiet i had to listen for it on startup thinking that it had died - i guess thats what happens when youre used to hearing a 4L talking through a 2.5" pipe. Very zippy little car though.

Parking - had my first real test with this today, and as expected it passed with shining colours. No contest - obviously you dont have as much car to park which helps, but the steering at low speeds and manouvreability are great.

I never thought id say this but the controls layout and location are actually really good, so much so that even after driving it only for about 2-3 hours all up so far i find it easier than the Falcons setup. I especially like the light switch, one option i would have liked was to turn the foglights on withuot having to turn the headlights on though.

One thing i have been meaning to ask - does anybody have a car kit installed in a Focus, if so, where is your cradle mounted? I have a few places in mind but id like some suggestions as to what works and what doesnt.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest gripe I have with my focus is the rear lighting. You can't see anything where the interior light is located. But, I never sit in the back so it doesn't matter. I would prefer it in te back, but its only something minor.

Hey where are your pictures. I want to see it with those rims. Pics Pics Pics Pics
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

pictures coming on the weekend. im looking at adding some sort of light under the front seats to light up the back a bit too.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of torches will do the trick
Old 14-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #17
Mick K.

I have seen on eBay genuine and non genuine Focus centre consoles with and without folding armrests. Try searching, the UK forums (www.ffoc.co.uk), and the US focaljet site.

Try this one...

eBay Focus armrest

I have also seen (probably on the UK forums too) that there is a way of disabling the seat belt chimes. Something involving clicking the belt 20 times or something with the key in certain positions. Never tried it though.

Enjoy your Focus.

MK

Last edited by Mick K.; 14-04-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Hmmmm Bak 2 about you comment on the horn. My Fiesta has the same High single note Fiamm brand air horn that comes standard with the falcons. It doesnt sound at all like a mouse fart. Unless the focus comes with a jap spec one i dont know.

I'm in planning to get hold of and install the low note horn as well as my old futura had the Dual note horn, And it helps me get my anger out better than the single one. All i need to know is where the horn is on a fiesta so i can wire them in sync..... Can anyone help?? (sorry to hijack this for a bit!)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I've got a spare cradle dude, while I'm giving you half the parts for your damn car I might as well give you that too!! Will look for it. Fits in between the left of the stereo and the facia. Angled towards you. Cost about $15 but it's yours. I also sadly didn't get the rear foggie in the body kit... what gives?!!!! Sorry dude.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Re the armrests on Ebay, they look ok but its very hard to visualise one in the car. I was hoping for a direct replacement, maybe I'll have to get onto AWC and see if Adam can create a new console. I know id buy one :hihi:.

Danny - the horn is bad, trust me. I'm considering wiring in a Falcon one because the horn as it is now just sounds like its a gay pride float coming through - nowhere near mean enough! I keep expecting to be blown kisses by men everytime i use it : .

Matt - i have the rear reverse light, i ordered one when i got the wheels, so its here in a box ready to go. I just need to go through what you told me, get the wire etc and have a go at it, but its definately something im keen on doing.
Re the cradle - thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it, we'll just see. I actually only wanted to know where it goes because i plan on buying a new phone, and a full car kit to suit, and i just wanted an idea of what to expect once its installed.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #21
Mick K.

Quote:
Re the armrests on Ebay, they look ok but its very hard to visualise one in the car. I was hoping for a direct replacement, maybe I'll have to get onto AWC and see if Adam can create a new console. I know id buy one :hihi:.
This page shows some non-genuine ones...
Armrest pics

Also, there is a genuine Ford one that was available overseas - in the UK parts are:

1128930 £51.96 armrest
1125679 £1.36 spacer
1125680 £7.15 adaptor

This is the Ford one I think...

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #22
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Unless the focus comes with a jap spec one i dont know.
What are you on about, the focus is a european car not a japanese one

The horn on my car is great tho

Chris
Old 15-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #23
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I have also seen (probably on the UK forums too) that there is a way of disabling the seat belt chimes. Something involving clicking the belt 20 times or something with the key in certain positions. Never tried it though.
No that was on the US forums, and it doesnt work for our Euro cars, i have tried this many times

Chris
Old 15-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #24
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
I especially like the light switch, one option i would have liked was to turn the foglights on withuot having to turn the headlights on though.
I have read re this, think its on focaljet that some people have set it up so you can turn the fog lights on without the headlights.

Can turn mine on with just the parkers, but thats a bit of a **** really

Chris
Old 15-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #25
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
No that was on the US forums, and it doesnt work for our Euro cars, i have tried this many times

Chris
Agreed, been there, tried that so many times.

That centre console looks interesting, never seen it before.

Quote:
I never thought id say this but the controls layout and location are actually really good, so much so that even after driving it only for about 2-3 hours all up so far i find it easier than the Falcons setup. I especially like the light switch, one option i would have liked was to turn the foglights on withuot having to turn the headlights on though.
As I said in my first post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I think the things that you find weird now, you will never look back at. I loathe getting in cars that I can't adjust my headlights in, such as our old BA Falcon. I love the stereo / lighting / environmental control setup and again, hate getting back into other cars less dynamically set up.
Anything you need to know, I'll be here all week! :hihi: :baby bott

Timmeh! Resident wise guy for today!
Old 15-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #26
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
...one option i would have liked was to turn the foglights on withuot having to turn the headlights on though.
Just noticed this one.

Unless they have changed the switch at some point, you can have the fogs on without the headlights on. However, you have to have at least the parkers on.

Tim out:
Old 15-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just noticed this one.

Unless they have changed the switch at some point, you can have the fogs on without the headlights on. However, you have to have at least the parkers on.

Tim out:
I think thats what he mean't. Mines the same. The park lights have to be on
Old 15-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Timmeh! Resident wise guy for today!
Only for the day? : :Reverend:

Console looks alright, its a bit of an exercise to import one and then find i dont like it though.

Shame about the chimes, i think there has to be a way, will do some digging through the workshop info for them. Also hopefully having the Zetec spec computer settings loaded in next week - probably not much point, but who's complaining when it's for free.

What i meant with the lights was having the foggies on with NO other lights, not even parkers. No big loss though.
Old 16-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Got the indicators changed this morning, MUCH easier than i expected - figured out what i was doing wrong and used a CD to wedge it out. Needless to say, the CD is now stuffed lol, but it was only a CD-R anyway.

Debadged it this afternoon too, and was thinking about taking the mudspats off, and while i cant believe im saying this, i left them on cos i think they look alright on it. Normally i hate mudspats, but these just look ok for some reason, so i left them on for now - can always take them off later if i want to.

Pics should hopefully be taken tonight.
Old 16-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Some very bad pics are here.... HERE

Today i nearly ran the thing out of fuel, testing out just how far the gauge could go. Got down to 0 about 30kms outta town and was thinking 'oh shit', but it got there. Is there any official figure on how much fuel it keeps in reserve (i.e how far you can go when the gauge is on '0')? I had a quci squizz thru the manual and all it says if that light is on is to 'refuel as soon as possible'.

The car likes a drink atm, but i put it down to me only having it 3 days so far and it hasnt had a chance to learn my driving style. Although after doing 620kms it's going to want to have learnt at least something :hihi:.

So after the fuel thing, im seriously going to look into the trip computer that the Ghia models have. I was thinking about it, and i think it will turn out to be a right royal pain in the *** to put in as you have to change the indicator stalk too, but i'll do some digging for info and see what i can find out, would be a nice little feature to have.

I miss cruise control badly though, wont be long till it goes on now.

It's amazing how many looks you get from people when you're driving though - the only Foci you really see round here are the sedans which are used by Hospital staff etc (nearly bought one at Auction but the sedan is just too ugly to live with), so seeing a Hatch with the 17's like mine is pretty rare where i am, and i like that. I saw one today the same but in a different colour, but it had ACT plates, so it looks like im safe for now! Already had a couple of comments from people at the servo - an older guy who was driving an XT was quite intrigued with the car lol.

More pics and more boring updates to come tomorrow.