Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Help! Lost My Keys

i lost my keys and i have searched everywhere for them and i can't find them. the problem is that i dont have a spare and ford want just under 500$ for two keys and thats not including the cost of towing it there to get programmed. im thinking that i can get a blank key off ebay for pretty cheap and take it to ford for them to cut it but i don't know how to program it. does anyone know how i can do this?
has anyone got any ideas on how i can go about fixing this problem?
any help would be really appreciated.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it AU 1 or 2,

You can get transponder keys off ebay 30 bucks,they do work :-)

You can go to ford with your VIN number and see if they got the key code on the computer for your car,has to be a six diget code!!

Best way to know for sure is to remove your door lock,take it to a lock smith and they can tell what key cut it is,they will cut key to fit which cost bout $30 to cut a key

So far 2 keys 60bucks 2 cuts 60 bucks 120 bucks all up.

Now ring around and ask who can program my keys into my car sum places charge 50 bucks others 120 bucks

so $240 plus towing or once u get keys cut find moblie auto to do you car on site.

Dont ask me about lost keys,ive been there done that lol Grrr
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a AU2. ok thanks for your help fordon. i will buy some keys now. do you think ford will be able to cut the keys without the car or will i need to get it towed for them to do it. they quoted me 20$ for a key cut. hopefully i can find a mobile auto to program it but i will ring around and see.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
Old 05-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistedXR
It is a AU2. ok thanks for your help fordon. i will buy some keys now. do you think ford will be able to cut the keys without the car or will i need to get it towed for them to do it. they quoted me 20$ for a key cut. hopefully i can find a mobile auto to program it but i will ring around and see.
Yea AU2 you have to reprogram to BEM a job you cant do unless you buy a $12,000 machine :-p

More than likely ford dont cut key they would get a locksmith to do it,i know that what the ford dealers do here!
Just find out what locksmith ford use and do it yourself.

Ford should have your key cut on computer,take your rego papers in and they can tell by VIN number what key your car has,its a 6 digit number.
As with mu AU2 as older than 5 yrs some information is delated and they probabley wont have code on computer base or is incorrect which happen to me!
I took my door lock out and took to lock smith and got keys cut.
I rang around to find the cheapest person to program keys for me.

In your case maybe easier/cheaper to get a moblie auto sparky to come to your place,just make sure that they can reprogram transponder keys to BEM

hope this helps :-p
Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
mal42a
CANYONERO!

I lost the spare keys to my wife's AUII Futura. Power Ford in Castle Hill offered to sell the key pad and blank key for $200. I would have had to take it to a locksmith to have cut, that's another $30 and then have the key encoded back at Ford for another $80. (There is a passive chip inside the key head that works with the immobiliser to start the car) I declined the offer. I ended up getting the key replaced at a Mr Minit kiosk. They used an aftermarket key, that is a little larger than the Ford original, but still OK it has a battery in it and should last about three years, and a genuine Ford keypad. I don't know where you live, but I went to Castle Towers in Castle Hill Sydney and it cost me $160 in total and has worked perfectly everytime. These Mr Minit shops advertise that they can do all the encoded keys for popular Fords, Holdens, Toyotas, Mitsu etc. Give them a try, it is much cheaper. Now I'm a lot more careful where I put the keys.
mal42a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal42a
I lost the spare keys to my wife's AUII Futura. Power Ford in Castle Hill offered to sell the key pad and blank key for $200. I would have had to take it to a locksmith to have cut, that's another $30 and then have the key encoded back at Ford for another $80. (There is a passive chip inside the key head that works with the immobiliser to start the car) I declined the offer. I ended up getting the key replaced at a Mr Minit kiosk. They used an aftermarket key, that is a little larger than the Ford original, but still OK it has a battery in it and should last about three years, and a genuine Ford keypad. I don't know where you live, but I went to Castle Towers in Castle Hill Sydney and it cost me $160 in total and has worked perfectly everytime. These Mr Minit shops advertise that they can do all the encoded keys for popular Fords, Holdens, Toyotas, Mitsu etc. Give them a try, it is much cheaper. Now I'm a lot more careful where I put the keys.
did you have to get two keys cut so they could be reprogram to car ? how much it cost you to reprogram keys ?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm thats interesting. theres a mr minit store inside a shopping centre close to me. i ended up buying a transponder key off ebay for $31.50 including postage and i have it booked at ford on monday to get it cut and programmed. i wouldnt have taken it to ford but my dad knows someone in the towing business and he said he can do me a good price to tow it there. if i recall correctly ford want $110 to cut and program the key so itll be $141.50 + towing.

AU3 Fairmont I6

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hmmm thats interesting. theres a mr minit store inside a shopping centre close to me. i ended up buying a transponder key off ebay for $31.50 including postage and i have it booked at ford on monday to get it cut and programmed. i wouldnt have taken it to ford but my dad knows someone in the towing business and he said he can do me a good price to tow it there. if i recall correctly ford want $110 to cut and program the key so itll be $141.50 + towing.
my ford dealer wouldnt/couldnt program keys unless i had two blank keys cut as the BEM needs two new codes to work .......
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon
my ford dealer wouldnt/couldnt program keys unless i had two blank keys cut as the BEM needs two new codes to work .......
I've read that mr mint can 'clone' an existing key. It won't allow you to add more keys, but works perfectly fine otherwise.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
badefghia
Banned

Ive lost my keys on an ed xr6 i had i opened the car and pulled the boot lock out then took the lock to a key place and had a key copied
badefghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
sanjay

as soon as i got my car (which only came with one key) i took it to get a new key cut from mr minit - and then the original key sits in a draw in my house, never to be seen or used unless i lose my cut key or sell the car

just a shame that the mr minit key doesnt feel the same as the ford key but seeing as you might hold it for seconds at a time its not a big deal
Old 13-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
mal42a
CANYONERO!

did you have to get two keys cut so they could be reprogram to car ? how much it cost you to reprogram keys ?
Yesterday 01:02 PM

I still had one set of keys and they cut a new one from it and cloned the data from the chip. It cost $160 including the Ford key pad.
mal42a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal42a
Yesterday 01:02 PM

I still had one set of keys and they cut a new one from it and cloned the data from the chip. It cost $160 including the Ford key pad.
yea thats a lot different than losing both set of keys,if you still have one key you can program the key yourself but when you lost both you have to reprogram BEM
Old 13-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so let me just clear this up. i have no keys at the moment but i have 1 key which is uncut and unprogrammed. can ford cut and program the 1 key or will i need two keys to get it done?

AU3 Fairmont I6

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
Old 13-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so let me just clear this up. i have no keys at the moment but i have 1 key which is uncut and unprogrammed. can ford cut and program the 1 key or will i need two keys to get it done?
My ford dealer needed two keys cut to reprogram the BEM!
why u need 2,the BEM orginally came with two cut keys from factory and will need two new keys to reinstall meomery.

My ford dealer didnt know the key cut,i removed my door handle lock ,took to lock smith and they cut correct key to fit.

I got two transponder keys cut at lock smith.

Took car to ford ,gave them my cut keys,they reprogrammed the keys and it was happy ever after :-)
Old 13-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

I just had a look behind my lounge and they're not here sorry
Old 16-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
steponit
Starter Motor

Default Re: Help! Lost My Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon View Post
Is it AU 1 or 2,

You can get transponder keys off ebay 30 bucks,they do work :-)

You can go to ford with your VIN number and see if they got the key code on the computer for your car,has to be a six diget code!!

Best way to know for sure is to remove your door lock,take it to a lock smith and they can tell what key cut it is,they will cut key to fit which cost bout $30 to cut a key

So far 2 keys 60bucks 2 cuts 60 bucks 120 bucks all up.

Now ring around and ask who can program my keys into my car sum places charge 50 bucks others 120 bucks

so $240 plus towing or once u get keys cut find moblie auto to do you car on site.

Dont ask me about lost keys,ive been there done that lol Grrr
only damned key i had turned to ash in a house fire (may it rest in peace).
i think this step by step by fordon summarizes what needs to be done.
thanks..
steponit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post