Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Responsible Service of Alcohol Ticket?

Hey Mates,
I'm thinking of getting a RSA ticket. Sounds like a handy one to have in the pocket.
I went onto Google, and there appears to be hundreds of links to obtaining a RSA, average price about $25 (not worried about price).
I'm here in WA.
Any thoughts on what's the go (are all these links the same?).
Cheers

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Responsible Service of Alcohol Ticket?

Not sure if its like a white card, all states have different ones but their valid in other states :S Odd as its meant to be across country, I'm pretty sure RSA's work the same way as they are state transferable. Perhaps look at the tafe course and find if the cheap online RSA's coincide with the learning material through them.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Its a crock of **** money making scheme for the people that supply it a bureaucratic way of the government to be seen to be doing something. Ill sum up the whole thing for you dont sell alcohol to under 18 year olds there done hand me my 25 bucks. In seriousness its required to work in a licensed premises but its also a ******* joke.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

From what I've seen they stand around in high vis jackets taking selfies of themselves.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
noddy383

My recommendation is that while it is a handy qualification to have, I don't disagree with BHDOGS. They go into a fair bit of detail about things like your rights and responsibilities and particularly the consequences. It's a law based certificate, so usually there's a fair bit of law involved.
If you're properly looking into getting a job that requires it, its worth it and easy, but it's probably not worth if it's just for the ticket.
noddy383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

i needed it to do security in a licenced premises a better one to get would be forklift licence white card traffic management card, ect.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mates.
I don't need the ticket for gainful employment, but I've chatted with a few of the lads in bars and drive throughs. It's just a handy number to have. For some, a few hours a week fills the coffers. For others (studying or wanting the extra cash), it's easy money.
At the end of the day, you pretty much need a ticket for anything. Sure there is often a price involved, but at the end of the day, you are responsible and there is a law to back you up if push comes to shove.
So, back to the original question...
Any ideas on which RSA site is best?
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
creative
I am Batman

I would say tafe wouldbe your best bet.

When I moved from england 5 years ago, I looked at getting into bar work over here... my issue with the system is in the uk I am a fully fledged licensee. 15 years in the trade and a pub couldnt open without my license number if I was running it. Is this recognised over here?... nope, I would still have to pay my money and get an rsa/rcg tickets. An absolute joke and quite frankly an insult.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

not really a necessity here in SA not sure about the laws in WA as here all that is required is that there must be a "responsible person" (badge requires RSA and i THINK first aid) on shift in order for a venue to sell alcohol. i do believe different states have different laws as a few friends have had to resit their RSA when they have moved interstate
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
HULK_I6T
Banned

its about litigation...

a standard has to be set to ensure everyones interests are protected.

In NSW its a days class style course which they basically force you to pass. You cant fail the test.

No licensed venue will touch you if you dont have it.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r
Not sure if its like a white card, all states have different ones but their valid in other states :S Odd as its meant to be across country, I'm pretty sure RSA's work the same way as they are state transferable.
No, they aren't transferable. Different states have different requirements. My wife has had to sit about 3 online courses to cater for the different states she's been to for work to serve alcohol.
She's got one for QLD, NSW and I think the SA one covers you for SA, NT and WA. She might have gotten one for VIC as well, I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO-04L View Post
not really a necessity here in SA not sure about the laws in WA as here all that is required is that there must be a "responsible person" (badge requires RSA and i THINK first aid) on shift in order for a venue to sell alcohol.
Wrong. In SA you need to have a RSA to sell alcohol. To run a bar, you also need a responsible person present. The RP doesn't necessarily have to serve, but they are the person who is responsible should the proverbial hit the fan.
First aid is also not required to serve alcohol. To run a business with staff is probably a whole different kettle of fish.
I've just done my RSA late last year and am also an RP for my cricket club. The badge comes with being an RP. An RSA doesn't get a badge.
(Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk_I6T
In NSW its a days class style course which they basically force you to pass. You cant fail the test.
The wife sat an online course for her NSW RSA. Maybe the RP is a full class day?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Wrong. In SA you need to have a RSA to sell alcohol. To run a bar, you also need a responsible person present. The RP doesn't necessarily have to serve, but they are the person who is responsible should the proverbial hit the fan.
First aid is also not required to serve alcohol. To run a business with staff is probably a whole different kettle of fish.
I've just done my RSA late last year and am also an RP for my cricket club. The badge comes with being an RP. An RSA doesn't get a badge.
(Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!)
correct, found the latest update from last year requiring all bar staff to have an RSA. you have 3 months to complete the cert once you start working in a bar if you don't already have one.

may have just been a hotel policy but ive always had to hold a current senior first aid for all my management positioins

Last edited by SLO-04L; 02-06-2014 at 09:34 PM.
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget that there are different types of liquor licencing, so for us as a sporting club, we've probably got a completely different set of criteria to that of a pub/hotel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk