Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Penko13

Talking My 2005 Focus - Modded with more mods to come

Hey guys

just signed up tonight to this forum so just want to say hey to every one.

i thought i would put up my car, with a bit of info on it

2005 Focus LX
Full xforce exhuast system from the cat back
Performance K&N filter
Pedders sport ryder suspension

I'll also post exhaust clip up in the next couple of days

http://i13.tinypic.com/2jb7ccp.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/4bpkcoh.jpg

Thinking of getting the cams from europeanpart.net for the focus, just wondering what other people think, or should i get extractors.

Do cams make much of a difference in the sound department or do extractors make more of a differene

Thanks for all the info and ook forward to talking to you all.

P.s if anyone else wants to add up info about there cars and the mods they have done feel free.

Penko13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
azlanyeng
Starter Motor

hi penko,

based on experience, Cams provide an additional 20 - 30% increase in horse power, provided that the car has a good air intake (air filter and ram) and an exhaust system. It also depends on the cams profile. With cams fitted, you should be able to feel something like a VTEC engine response, where the powerband will usually come in around 4 - 5000rpm.
In my opinion, get the cams and forget about extractors. Extractors do not make much of a differences if you are after horsepower.

cheers
azlanyeng is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

oh contrare.....extractors will increase about 14hp....they allow the air to flow more efficientlly. youve got the exhaust, so i sujust you go extractors and sports cat. after that id look into the cams, otherwise id be too worried about the engine warranty. and the last thing you want to do it stuff around with the engine. you will get an AWEsum increase in power if you do all of those mods.

but if you go just cams, it will be bottle necking the airflow in a sense.

(from what i know)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
oh contrare.....extractors will increase about 14hp....they allow the air to flow more efficientlly. youve got the exhaust, so i sujust you go extractors and sports cat. after that id look into the cams, otherwise id be too worried about the engine warranty. and the last thing you want to do it stuff around with the engine. you will get an AWEsum increase in power if you do all of those mods.

(from what i know)

Thanks both for the info, i think i am going to get some extractors, the ones from pumaspeed.

do u think this will increase the sound level of the car, as i am pretty close to being over the limit, or would cams make a bigger difference in the volume, for example would people no if i had cams in it. because i no they are very distintive in a V8 how about in a 4 cylinder

thanks again
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penko13
Hey guys

just signed up tonight to this forum so just want to say hey to every one.

i thought i would put up my car, with a bit of info on it

2005 Focus LX
Full xforce exhuast system from the cat back
Performance K&N filter
Pedders sport ryder suspension

I'll also post exhaust clip up in the next couple of days

http://i13.tinypic.com/2jb7ccp.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/4bpkcoh.jpg

Thinking of getting the cams from europeanpart.net for the focus, just wondering what other people think, or should i get extractors.

Do cams make much of a difference in the sound department or do extractors make more of a differene

Thanks for all the info and ook forward to talking to you all.

P.s if anyone else wants to add up info about there cars and the mods they have done feel free.
Very nice!

Interested in hearing what the exhaust sounds like, I was looking at getting the same one for mine. It is very loud, and does it drone at all? Also, did you notice and changes in power/economy (if only slight)??
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very nice, liking the bling

if you're wanting a bit of power increase without force feeding it you'll wanna do the whole intake and exhaust systems before you touch the cams
Old 06-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Very nice!

Interested in hearing what the exhaust sounds like, I was looking at getting the same one for mine. It is very loud, and does it drone at all? Also, did you notice and changes in power/economy (if only slight)??
Yeah i will post up a clip as soon as i can.

it sounds awsome but yeah it is very loud above 3000 it just screams, you will notice on it how the resonator is almost a third the size. but there is absolutly no drone what so ever in my car, can be 1800rpm cruising and wont notice any drone.

cheers
Old 06-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
very nice, liking the bling

if you're wanting a bit of power increase without force feeding it you'll wanna do the whole intake and exhaust systems before you touch the cams

thanks for the info, i have decided to go with the extractors first, will i notice a sound difference or not much at all.

also do u no of any places in sydney that could tune this type of car

thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Did you need to get those wheels re-drilled to fit the focus?

Those are exactly the wheels I wanted on my focus, but in gold. (Hopefully your selling them soon)
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
azlanyeng
Starter Motor

Quote:

(from what i know)
hmm... does extractors really make that much of a horsepower? From what i know, extractors gives more response to the throttle, and also improves acceleration and depending on the type of extractors (ie; 4-2-1 or 4-1). However, the amount of horsepower gain isn't as much as 14hp, maybe around 3-5hp increase. With less restriction in the airflow of the car means the car is breathing properly. The better it breaths the better the response and of course there will be horsepower gains. I would suggest that a 4-2-1 extractor would be suitable for daily use. You get the power and the satisfaction. :alien2:

About cams, they do increase the rate of acceleration and horsepower by quite a bit, not as much as turbo cars, but sufficient. In a twin cam, the response can definetely be felt in the car when you floor it. However, in the long run the cams will F%#@ the engine up nicely. This im not so sure why, but from my experience with my previous car, i had just totally wrecked the engine after removing the race cams and fitted back the standard profile cams. The car wont be as fast as a factory car even if you floor it. This im not so sure why. Should ask an expert.
azlanyeng is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Thanks both for the info, i think i am going to get some extractors, the ones from pumaspeed.

do u think this will increase the sound level of the car, as i am pretty close to being over the limit, or would cams make a bigger difference in the volume, for example would people no if i had cams in it. because i no they are very distintive in a V8 how about in a 4 cylinder

thanks again
the only way people will know you have cams are if they are Really lumpy...like a V8. but in a 4cyl it means the car has no balls down low. but had GRANDE CAHONES up high.

extractors are the way to go. for now.

Quote:
hmm... does extractors really make that much of a horsepower? From what i know, extractors gives more response to the throttle, and also improves acceleration and depending on the type of extractors (ie; 4-2-1 or 4-1). However, the amount of horsepower gain isn't as much as 14hp, maybe around 3-5hp increase. With less restriction in the airflow of the car means the car is breathing properly. The better it breaths the better the response and of course there will be horsepower gains. I would suggest that a 4-2-1 extractor would be suitable for daily use. You get the power and the satisfaction.

About cams, they do increase the rate of acceleration and horsepower by quite a bit, not as much as turbo cars, but sufficient. In a twin cam, the response can definetely be felt in the car when you floor it. However, in the long run the cams will F%#@ the engine up nicely. This im not so sure why, but from my experience with my previous car, i had just totally wrecked the engine after removing the race cams and fitted back the standard profile cams. The car wont be as fast as a factory car even if you floor it. This im not so sure why. Should ask an expert.
Extractors do give an increase in HP, sure they do free up the rev range and allow the engine to breathe properly, but if you can manage to get a tune with your extractors and exhuast you should notice a nice in crease in power.

Cams are a definate increase in power, but you will notice a bigger increase with extractors and all that jazz(as you already now).

All modern Ford 4cyl have Twin Cams. = DOHC (Dual Over Head Cams) changing the profile of the cam can allow more power to be had, but evertime you increase the power you shorten the reliability of the car. the Duratec can handle 230BHP+ no wucking furries. Depending on the profile of your cams will determine the life of the engine, also how you drive it. if you have lump cams (which means all the power is up high and none down low) then your engine will have a shorter lifespan. the standard cams are designed for peak effeciency, longest lifespan and maximum power all taken into consideration.

you can get away with haveing cams that are slightly altered so they give more power same efficiency and same lifespan.
personally your best bet is to go with Crow cams here in AUS. essentially they just get the engine details and ask how much power you want, tell you if its possible and when the tourque peaks and when the KW peak. and you can make a decision.

Or just import the PIPER cams from uk. Fast road cams i believe it is.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlanyeng
hmm... does extractors really make that much of a horsepower? From what i know, extractors gives more response to the throttle, and also improves acceleration and depending on the type of extractors (ie; 4-2-1 or 4-1). However, the amount of horsepower gain isn't as much as 14hp, maybe around 3-5hp increase. With less restriction in the airflow of the car means the car is breathing properly. The better it breaths the better the response and of course there will be horsepower gains. I would suggest that a 4-2-1 extractor would be suitable for daily use. You get the power and the satisfaction. :alien2:

Firstly you shouldn't generalise extractors and cams is such a way eg. Extractors give 14hp cams give 21hp.

Extractors are a tuned length system, the length and width of the piping that determine how much and where the scavenging effect will be (Which is the main reason extractors gain power). A common myth is that 4-2-1 type will have mid range gain while 4-1 will be all top end. This is simply not true its the tuning of the system that matters and nothing is stopping you building 4-2-1 to have massive top end and 4-1 with great low end.

Cams won't **** your engine. A bad tune will. Again power all depends on the profile of the cam. Most of the shelf cams have a lightly more agressive profile than stock which together with breathing mods can give nice gains through the rev range.

After any major work you should atleast put the car on a dyno to check air/fuel ratios are still safe and you have no pinging issues.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Penko13

Hey guys the info is fantastic.

i want to get the cams form pumaspeed.com you can check them out if you wont. however they say after 40 minutes of steady driving the car will re map itself to work with the new cams. i always thought that u would need to tune for them to work proply. can cars really remap thmselves

cheers
Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist
Did you need to get those wheels re-drilled to fit the focus?

Those are exactly the wheels I wanted on my focus, but in gold. (Hopefully your selling them soon)

lol u must have ESP i actually am thinking of selling them, they have aboslutly no scratches what so ever and are in perfect condition, not very old either.

If u are interested

Cheers
Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Penko13

Hey guys

this is a clip of my exhaust system, hope u enjoy

cheers
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Hey guys the info is fantastic.

i want to get the cams form pumaspeed.com you can check them out if you wont. however they say after 40 minutes of steady driving the car will re map itself to work with the new cams. i always thought that u would need to tune for them to work proply. can cars really remap thmselves

cheers
Hi Penko....yes, the ECU or PCM (computer) will "retune" itself. I have never thought about it with cams, but pumaspeed have a good reputation and should know what they are talking about.

It maybe cheaper to get them from the US...Ford Racing stage II or Crower Stage II are supposed to be good. Worth checking out (McNews Automotive is my preferred US supplier). Think about it
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #17
Penko13

sorry guys the link didn't copy proply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkP6glspRg4
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #18
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Hi Penko....yes, the ECU or PCM (computer) will "retune" itself. I have never thought about it with cams, but pumaspeed have a good reputation and should know what they are talking about.

It maybe cheaper to get them from the US...Ford Racing stage II or Crower Stage II are supposed to be good. Worth checking out (McNews Automotive is my preferred US supplier). Think about it
hey thanks for the info i will for sure check them out. however i have spoke to a couple of US shops and they say becuase they have a different model focus over there the parts wont fit. can u shed any light.

cheers mate
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #19
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Penko13, nice ride. Where abouts are you from?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #20
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Penko13, nice ride. Where abouts are you from?
Hey man thanks for the reply, i'm from sydney stil have to fill out my details lol.

and yeah thanks i like what i have done with the car. just been reading sounds like you have done some nice stuff to your car to, good work

Penko
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #21
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah my car is alright for what it is. Not the best looking LR Focus around. Well if you want to meet up with the Eurofordclub from Sydney, just go in the eurofordclub section of the forums to see when they organise a meet. Hope you enjoy your time of the forums and cant wait to see more things done to your car.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #22
melbzetec

That's a damn nice sound Penko. What's it like under full load?

Yes, you have to be careful with some US parts, but the yanks know diddly squat about the European Focus. Cams will fit...although I don't know of anyone in Oz who has made a swap
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
Penko13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
That's a damn nice sound Penko. What's it like under full load?

Yes, you have to be careful with some US parts, but the yanks know diddly squat about the European Focus. Cams will fit...although I don't know of anyone in Oz who has made a swap
Hey thanks, from about 4000rpm it just turns into a scream, way louder than just reving it on the spot. however it is a really nice sound, people say it sounds just like a rally car. also on back off it burbles a hell of a lot.

thanks for the info do many people bother changing cams on there focus's
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #24
melbzetec

Nonethat I'm aware of.

I've been thinking about it, but there is very little in the way of Dyno figures on what's available. My fear is I'll only get power by moving peak torque further up the rev range. Every mod I've done to date has increased power and torque across the range. I don't want to make the mistake of losing low end torque.

I'm still thinking about it. (Or maybe I will save my pennies and get a powerworks supercharger....in which case I'd want to stick with stock cams))

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Yo Melb Zetec....how would a Supercharger go down with a car with 11.0:1 compression ratio.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #26
Penko13

Hey does anyone no where u can get some good bodykits for the focus in australia, i can only find ones from europe

cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #27
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I'm pretty sure these guys have body kits for the focus, but its not listed on their website, so you'll need to give them a call.

http://www.streetsports.com.au/ and http://www.talonbodystyling.com.au/
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #28
melbzetec

Quote:
Yo Melb Zetec....how would a Supercharger go down with a car with 11.0:1 compression ratio.
The Powerworks kit is specifically designed for the Focus Zetec engine. See the bottom of this page

http://www.focussport.com/supercharger.htm

Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

that looks RAD......what about one for the Fiesta's lol... hence why i asked about the 11.0:1 comperssion ratio....i know the focus Zetec engine has a compression ratio or 10.8:1 (i think it is)

Does it make much of a difference?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #30
BlackLS

Plenko, just on the PM i sent you, if you have these plans for your car, have a think about increasing the bottom of the airbox hole to 3", then running 3" mandrel to the front of the radiator. Or just go a full 3" system from the TB and have a pod at the end.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post