Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Your LV today

I'm not too sure about that new K&N 57S kit. It looks like all you get is a K&N filter with a new airbox lid? Could be a bit of a gimmick.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57S-4000_inst.pdf
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
I'm not too sure about that new K&N 57S kit. It looks like all you get is a K&N filter with a new airbox lid? Could be a bit of a gimmick.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57S-4000_inst.pdf
Looks like it, i don't mind my Code:RED CAI but I can't find a place to buy another air filter for it unfortunately.

I might as well as buy the shocks, do everything properly.

So far its about $820 from EP or the Focus ST225 Bilstein B8s (assuming same as TDCI?) is 411 pounds, but its coming up as shipping 0 pounds? I'm unsure if shipping is free.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #33
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Good idea on the B8s. The Eibach springs + the Bilstein B8s = Bilstein B12 package, which is an awesome bit of kit.

You better check the online Bilstein catalogue to make sure the ST225 shocks are the same part number for the TDCI.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
Good idea on the B8s. The Eibach springs + the Bilstein B8s = Bilstein B12 package, which is an awesome bit of kit.

You better check the online Bilstein catalogue to make sure the ST225 shocks are the same part number for the TDCI.
Just did, 2.5 ST MK2 has same part numbers for shocks as the 2.0 TDCI, looks like we're in the clear.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Got 4 LV's (1 MK2) all TDCi's, 3 of them have been perfect.
1 has been a bit of a lemon! Replacement seat base, console loose and wobbly, replacement bem or bcm?, weird gearbox as in it takes a few seconds (like 5-10) to engage drive and when it does it jolts forward. Still, have ordered 2 LW Trend TDCi's to replace. (we replace at 2 years or 40,000k's) Picking up 1 tommorow.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Ghiaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiaman View Post
Got 4 LV's (1 MK2) all TDCi's, 3 of them have been perfect.
1 has been a bit of a lemon! Replacement seat base, console loose and wobbly, replacement bem or bcm?, weird gearbox as in it takes a few seconds (like 5-10) to engage drive and when it does it jolts forward. Still, have ordered 2 LW Trend TDCi's to replace. (we replace at 2 years or 40,000k's) Picking up 1 tommorow.

Whats the go with the seat base? Mine creaks and cracks only on the drive home from work on a hot day.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Whats the go with the seat base? Mine creaks and cracks only on the drive home from work on a hot day.
One of the staff mentioned to me that the seat was moving about, turns out the whole frame had broken, you could literally lift the whole seat forward from the rear like in a 2 door - not quite that far but you get the idea!

Ghiaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #38
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Just did, 2.5 ST MK2 has same part numbers for shocks as the 2.0 TDCI, looks like we're in the clear.
Sounds like you're on a winner!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also out of curiosity today I checked the vent temperatures for the Aircon.

We managed to pull 15 degrees at the lowest out of the center vents on fan speed 3, hopeless.

I also put my hand around the low pressure side of the aircon pipes, in a good aircon system it will get to pretty much freezing temperature, as in like touching ice.

It gets cold, but not freezing.

So pretty much the aircon system sucks.

We had a Falcon in there managing about 6 degrees out of the vents in the workshop, was a good day for testing out aircon systems.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also anyone here got a lowered car and tows a trailer? I'm going to be getting another car in 2014 and I'll be passing down the Focus to the old man, he will retire his car, but he uses it to tow a 6x4 to the tip etc.

So eventually the Focus will probably score a tow bar.

Will the shorter springs and shocks effect towing badly?

If so I might have to swap them out with the factory springs and shocks for him when he takes the steering wheel.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #41
ConradP

MY passenger seat creaks alot now, not sure if it's because of the heat of late that i'm noticing it or what, makes me sad, just need to have a passenger to keep it planted now D:
Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #42
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a Corolla towing a car trailer with a Au Falcon on the back the other day, so the Focus should tow a 6x4 easy might be the go to put the factory shocks back on though.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
Saw a Corolla towing a car trailer with a Au Falcon on the back the other day, so the Focus should tow a 6x4 easy might be the go to put the factory shocks back on though.
Thats just stupid... Sure it wasn't the other way round???

Most cars can tow - it is interesting that vehicle performance and dynamics / safety have greatly increased, yet towing capacities have dropped.

Eg, an XF Falcon is very similar to a TDCI Focus in terms of power, weight and torque - yet you can only tow max of around 1000kg with the Focus yet the Falcon was rated at something like 1400-1600kg I think. It was certainly not uncommon to see one pulling a fully loaded car trailer, nor would anyone blink an eye.

I have had 6-800kg draging behind the Focus several times and believe me, in the diesel it hardly raises a sweat. Only adds around 2L/100 to the economy as well.

Then you have the Amarok - With a diesel donk that is not all that different to the current model 2L Focus diesel output, yet it is in a heavier body that is also rated to tow.. what 3 tons or something close to that??

Yet... get this - the XR5 shouldn't tow (not rated to according to my handbook). Wonder why?? How much lower are they over standard? 10-15mm?? Thats where my Focus sits when I have a boot full of gear and it still tows fine.

More often than not towing limits seem to make little sense at all when you compare a few different cars together.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be it has a lot to do with brakes and body strength rather than pure engine grunt
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also the fabric covering the back of the rear seats has now decided to part from the metal behind it.

She ain't holding up too well with the fully loaded toolbox going in/out and sliding about when driving haha.

Also it tends to stall very easily in hot weather, and runs rough at idle, like a miss fire, it jolts the car every 10 or so seconds at idle in hot weather, around 1000-1100RPM if you are idle and holding it there it shakes the car.

You pretty much have to slip the clutch out at 1500-2000 RPM in first to get it to move without it wanting to stall.

It also doesn't respond well to the accelerator in hot weather, sometimes you can push it in about half way and it just barely goes above idle, then when you let the clutch out it goes to stall, any more and it shoots up past 2000 RPM and making a racket.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you think a throttle body clean is called for?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
Do you think a throttle body clean is called for?
Diesels don't have throttle bodies unfortunately, so unfortunately not such an easy fix.
Old 19-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Come very close to taking out a roo early hours of this morning, driving home with the parents in my car, got all my lights happening, all sweet, I was talking to Mum and a roo jumps out from the side of the road maybe 100m in front of me heading towards our lane.

Old man:

WATCH OUT ROO!

I clutch in, mash the brake pedal all the way to the floor, but the accelerator goes down with it (oops) and I start bouncing off the limiter, massive amount of soot coming out the tail pipe .

There was a car behind me, it was only us two on the road and he insisted of being up my *** for some reason rather than overtaking and as I'm slowing down hard he nearly shoved his new Mercedes up my Focus' ***.

I end up getting to about 10km/h and being off the side of the road a bit, roo goes back the direction it came into the bushes again.

The guy behind me seemed to drop back about 500 meters after that.

I'm not too happy with the braking performance, unsure if its tyres or just the brakes, once you go past 50% brake pedal, it doesn't seem to really stop any faster, my car is always loaded up though so that could be it maybe.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ignore the crap in the boot, occy strap is to hold in my tool box when I'm on the move.

I'm not sure if I should even bother taking that back for warranty, or should I just fix it myself?
Old 21-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #50
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a common issue with the hatch. They must use the smallest amount of adhesive possible when it leaves the factory.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Mine has been 'fixed' 3 times now... still looks the same.

Common factory fault I'm afraid to say Damo.

Old 21-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Might fix it some time this week if I can be bothered at work, I have an idea, watch this space
Old 23-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wrong thread, oops.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tyres on my TDCI (2nd set) are Toyo Teo Plus , at 40000kms old they are now pretty worn.

I am trying to decide what tyres to put on it next -the Toyos were quiet until recently but lack grip.

What are your views on say GT radial, and Michelin?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #55
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
The tyres on my TDCI (2nd set) are Toyo Teo Plus , at 40000kms old they are now pretty worn.

I am trying to decide what tyres to put on it next -the Toyos were quiet until recently but lack grip.

What are your views on say GT radial, and Michelin?
What did you get out of the factory tyres? Mine are about to be changed nearing 60k km, and still have rubber above the depth indicator, they have just been chewed out on the inside due to poor alignment.

Just did 100km in the pouring rain on the freeway and they still held the road very well. Would never have believed they were that used.

Can't remember the brand off hand, but they have certainly put in a good innings.

Old 28-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Goodyear NCT5?

Those OEM tyres were junk I reckon, I've got Toyo TEO Plus on them now, and they're quiet but the grip is average.

I've got Kuhmo KU31 on my WS Fiesta and they're good grip and quiet:

http://www.thewheeldeal.com.au/produ...oducts_id=3277

Our forum sponsor The Wheel Deal also sells them.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Waiting until mid Feb until my shocks come into stock, then I have to wait until they ship.

Grr.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #58
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mid Feb!? I suppose its only 2 weeks or so, then add in 1-2 weeks shipping - you'll have them by end of Feb at the latest I'd hope.