Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Exhausted

Anyone altered the exhaust on LS Focus yet? Make any real diference? I think mine needs a voice but it's a pricy thing if there are no gains.

The local exhaust guy quoted me $1K which I could put towards cleaning up intake path if there are no gains to be found in the exhaust.

Opinions anyone?

More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
Anyone altered the exhaust on LS Focus yet? Make any real diference? I think mine needs a voice but it's a pricy thing if there are no gains.

The local exhaust guy quoted me $1K which I could put towards cleaning up intake path if there are no gains to be found in the exhaust.

Opinions anyone?
uh... mine exhaust cost $300, that was for a 2 1/2 inch system from the cat back with 2 high flow mufflers and a dual chrome tip.

it gives off a sweet note and definately gives alot better top end, it's even got the nice crackle when u back off the accelerator...

as for paying $1000???? you'd want custom extractors, a high flow cat, and maybe a cold air intake to justify that kinda price
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
FRA
Mr Focus

1K is abit dear in my view dude, for that much money on an exhaust it should be 2.5" T409 or better stainless steel for that price tag.
You'll get gains from the new exhaust but, how much is another thing dude.
Are you going to leave the headers and flex pipe stock? It would be a waste of time and money to leave it stock and just do the exhaust only as I can tell you want power gains, more noise from the exhaust.
New air intake system and manifold and you'll get more power gaines,
It might be over kill for you.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
amlohac

Like FRA and Zetec have said, your going to need more than JUST the exhaust. Its a combination of exhaust and air intake that will give you any kind of gain, and even then on modern cars the gain you get its very very small if anything at all.

Basically what you should be looking for is sound, if you arent going to do much else to the car performance wise just go for a cat back system, its cheap and like zetec said it makes any focus sound frigging awsome.

Im Thinking that the quotation the guy has given you is a very very rough as guts estimate cos he hasnt had anything to do with the focus before. Which makes me think it will be a fully custom system, air intake and all, which of course will always cost more than your bolt on bits.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
FRA
Mr Focus

If you want more noise then get an air intake system, it's more of a grunt sound then anything, well overtone.
We had no problems with our air intake system
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 29-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
FRA
Mr Focus

If you want more noise then get an air intake system, it's more of a grunt sound then anything, well overtone. because of the aluminium.
We had no problems with our air intake system.
With a Ford racing aluminium manifold, I don't know for sure but I reckon the overtone would be full on plus 70mm throttle body
It'll give you increase in Hp and an extra 500 rpm, so your max torque of 5500rpm will go to 6000rpm.
I'll be doing this setup early next year becuase I want max power and air flow.

Even if you just get a new air intake, when you get your Focus service by Ford or whoever they'll tell you, you have a error with your intake by there black box.
When you drive it there won't be a problem at all, what it is...the air mass meter has too much air going through it, you can get it recalibrated or get a 70mm air mass meter if you can find them.

I would looking on the internet in the US for parts as I wouldn't get anyone here to make anything in Australia or you can go through me if you want.
I went down to a few exhaust shop and trying to tell them about the difference between headers and manifold was a nightmare.
Old 30-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow thanks guys, looks like I'm treading down a well known path.

The exhaust guy said he has had LS Focus in recently and made up a couple of systems for a fussy client who in the end said it was too loud so put the standard one back on. He suggested a pre made one from.... and the manufacturer escapes me now but one of the nicey ricey sounding makers, you know those nice sounding hyundies. All stanless and mandrel bent with a road legal muffler but sweeeeet sound. This one bolted on to the flange joint after the CAT.

Gulp, the missus will shoot me if there's not at least 10 Kw in it.

Basically I understand the intake needs a look at at the same time - I want more grunt and at least some kinda note.

I like the idea of 4 x throttle bodies but to be realistic if there is some way to clean up the intake please let me know. Is there a pre made kit with tubing, filter and brackets?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 30-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
FRA
Mr Focus

I know what you want, because I want the same thing dude.
I'm still waiting on my full exhaust setup to come in.
There is no 4 x throttle body setup I have seen but, there is 4 throttle body an USAC FOCUS race MIDGET ENGINE.
The air intake system we got come with all the gear and its not that small.

Where abouts do you live man?
Old 30-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in Melbourne.

The TB setup I want is from http://www.webcon.co.uk/ These folks seem to know the new Duratec. Another option is from http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files...atecTuning.htm who also have done a little research. Have a look around this site - very interesting !

So it's all in the breathing FRA as you know. If you have any inlet options other than these let me know.

I think Cosworth have a barrel or slider setup but like 4 x TB will require plenty of ECU changes. Can anyone here reflash the ECU yet?

If I can't get over 180HP then I'll go home..
Old 30-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I like the Webcon site.

I see also there are kits for the 1.8 and 2.0 litre Zetec

http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/AlphaPlusKits.htm
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
BlackLS

FRA, the LS Focus already have a 70mm electronic T/B. Although it could use a polish inside it (its got casting roughness inside)

Talk to Liverpool Exhaust. One of the main guys there has an SP23 and has played around with many different setups. He said best bang for your buck would be thier own designed intake before the T/B and Cat back exhaust for around $550. All mandrel bent and includes pod filter

Any N/A ideas go to http://www.cosworth.com/shop_range.php?typeid=6
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
amlohac

The quicker you get rid of that black god awful ram pipe that comes stock with the focus the better. If your after as much power as you can possibly squeeze out of your focus by just doing the exhaust you need to do the whole intake, the headers, manifold, CAT and exhaust. Then you might see your 10kw, maybe more, alot more. If you have the cash anything is possible
Old 31-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
FRA
Mr Focus

Couldn't of said that better myself Amlohac.
You have to upgrade the whole lot to see 10Kw +
air intake, Ford racing manifold, 4-2-1 headers, flex pipe, 2.5 exhaust.
This is what you have to get, No if but or maybe about it
Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
BlackLS

2.5" is overkill for a 4cyl. You could even lose power going stock to 2.5". General rule for non-worked I6 Falcons(double the engine displacement), you see the higher gains from a 2.25" over a 2.5".

On the Duratec 2.0L, 2" is perfect for a single muffled, 2.25 with 2 mufflers.

Only time I'd think about putting an exhaust big like that on it is if was going to be turboed, go a 3" system.

Another thing is I've been told that the plastic intake manifold on the Duratec flows suprisingly well, and is far from the weakest link in terms of airflow.

Also, doing intake and exhaust, you may not see "x" kw gains at peak as other people are stating, what you will notice is more power through the rev range, better responsiveness when jumping on the throttle, and it should rev more freely. Another great advantage is that the car runs more efficiently, and you technically should use less petrol (although the beefy sound will probably make you step on it even more so!)

And don't think you have to do it all in one go. The beauty doing intake exhaust cams etc is that it can be done one by one, as you can afford it.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great post this is turning out to be. All the knowledge of many folks on one page... I love this...

So in summary, a CAT back exhaust is a waste of time on it's own appart from a wonderful note.

What is needed is headers, cat and flex tube as well to free up the exhaust flow. But then this is a waste of time if inlet breathing isn't addressed at the same time.

The standard inlet manifold flows ok.. is this confirmed? Anyone got flow data on that assy yet? The TB on the LS 2l duratec is 70mm right? This seems plenty, shouldn't be a barrier to 180HP.

I gather the a cleanup inside the TB and replacement of ALL tubing after the TB and a free flow filter is all we can do.

All we need now is a reflash if all those things are done right?

Does this sound about rite?

If someone can do this for me here in Melbourne... I want this NOW....
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
amlohac

Also have a look at www.powerchip.com.au, not sure if they make a chip for the new focus, i know they make one for the older one. Still worth a look
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So in summary, a CAT back exhaust is a waste of time on it's own appart from a wonderful note.
ok i don't mean to put other people in this thread down, but the cat back by itself isn't a waste of time, unlike other people on this thread i'm the only person that has actually had this done on my car and have noticed a vast improvement in the higher rpms, further proven when BlackLS and i lined it up at a set of lights lol, but yeah if ur after 10kw+ and more throughout the rev rang you're gonna want to do the extractors, cat, and intake, these are 3 things high on my priority list but are being held back due to funding, i will let you know how they go if i get them done before you have anything done.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
ok i don't mean to put other people in this thread down, but the cat back by itself isn't a waste of time, unlike other people on this thread i'm the only person that has actually had this done on my car and have noticed a vast improvement in the higher rpms, further proven when BlackLS and i lined it up at a set of lights lol, but yeah if ur after 10kw+ and more throughout the rev rang you're gonna want to do the extractors, cat, and intake, these are 3 things high on my priority list but are being held back due to funding, i will let you know how they go if i get them done before you have anything done.
To quote myself "Farrk it goes alright!"
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Also have a look at www.powerchip.com.au, not sure if they make a chip for the new focus, i know they make one for the older one. Still worth a look
Don't worry about a chip. CAPA can directly plug in and modify the Focus ECU.

Give them a call and tell them how crazy you are, as well as what you are thinking of doing (especially if custom cams are involved), and they'll let you know how how to go about it.

I wouldn't bother about Chip or ECU modding for only intake and exhaust done. Although there are gains to be found, the money you'd spend wouldn't make it worth it for these few kw gains.

But each to their own.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I've booked it in for a CAT back, this time from a guy who can do a 2.25" for about $350 mates rates which is significantly better than the last quote.

When I get some time I'll take the inlet ducting apart see how it works and maybe look into some work there too.

One step at a time.

Thanks guys
Old 04-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #21
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

2.25 should be plenty.

not sure what kind of size exhaust it has standard.. but another option would be to simply have the standard mufflers replaced with higher flowing items.

You will usually find the standard exhaust is of much much higher quality than that of custom jobbies.. ie.. better bends, correct size and better quality material.

Why dont you give this a go first. It WILL save you money, time and you will be left with a much much better quality exhaust than that of a custom.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #22
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok I've booked it in for a CAT back, this time from a guy who can do a 2.25" for about $350 mates rates which is significantly better than the last quote.

When I get some time I'll take the inlet ducting apart see how it works and maybe look into some work there too.

One step at a time.

Thanks guys
$350 mates rates is a little steep for a 2.25" considering i got my 2.5" done for $300 without mates rates, you might wanna shop around a bit more
Old 04-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #23
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i got my fez done for 280 cat back and dual tips.......350 mates rates... what is it stainless steel???

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #24
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

stainless/mandrel cat back is usually around the 800 mark. so id say if he has been quoted 350 with mates rates it might be stainless...

or mandrel bent mild steel.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep SS tubing custom bent to suit. mufflers look kinda ordinary tho... Maybe with mild steel tubing I can get a better price, I'll ask.

I actually don't want to damage the standard system at all so it can be refitted if I have issues with authority or sell the car.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #26
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
2.25 should be plenty.

not sure what kind of size exhaust it has standard.. but another option would be to simply have the standard mufflers replaced with higher flowing items.

You will usually find the standard exhaust is of much much higher quality than that of custom jobbies.. ie.. better bends, correct size and better quality material.

Why dont you give this a go first. It WILL save you money, time and you will be left with a much much better quality exhaust than that of a custom.
Remember these cars are built with pretty strict emmission laws in mind. If you were to free flow your standard exhaust, you could only really use the staight bits of pipe as you'd have to replace all the bends due to being press bent.

Yeah it will save you money, but how many people chasing performance leave a stock exhaust on the car? I say do it properly the first time.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #27
BlackLS

Quote:
Did the work for you

I just took the airbox out and did some crude measurements. I tried to take some pics of the free space next to the radiator, but my phone is scared of the dark. What you have is the 70mm throttle which goes down to about 55-60mm. Not shown in the pic, when the throttle is open, on the other side of those torq screws is a pair of pretty ugly nuts, which intrude into the airflow a little bit. After the throttle body it goes back out to 70mm.

Then comes the rubber ribbed hosing pipe, held on with some annoying clips. I ripped these off and replaced them with hose clamps (around $1 each). Then the airbox with the filter, please note the first scheduled air filter change is at 60,000km! >:|

Then that hose at the bottom next to the gearbox with the "vents" on it, that leads to another airbox around the headlight and fuse area. From there I think it draws air from the front guard.

Sorry for the phone pics

I'm loving that open space .

Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #28
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
mmmmm i think a 110 degree mandrel bend with some 80mm piping would go nicely down through that, straight down to a pod at the bottom, maybe another bend at the bottom to bring it into the 'mouth' of the front bumper...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys the optimal size of the exhaust if dependant on the power not the size of the engine. Getting 180HP from the duratec is gonna be a walk in the park. Get yourself extractors + free flow exhaust with a nice low restriction intake and u'll be at or very close to your target.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #30
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
mmmmm i think a 110 degree mandrel bend with some 80mm piping would go nicely down through that, straight down to a pod at the bottom, maybe another bend at the bottom to bring it into the 'mouth' of the front bumper...
Said it in one really. I'd like to put it more behind the fog light, so the filter doesn't get saturated when driving in the rain.