Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
nickOH

Default Focus Exhaust

I need help again! Haha

Basically, I want to put a new exhaust on the focus (or at least parts of it).

All I want to achieve is make the car louder, without a ridiculous ricer drone. I don't want to spend a lot of money, so the cheaper the better! But I don't want a $50 job from tony, who only takes cash, and does the job in his garage, with metal he got from the scrap yard. I was thinking of going for a straight through performance muffler with a 2 1/4 inch tip?

So.... What do I need? How much is it roughly going to cost me? And can anybody recommend a place in W.A to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking You
Nick

nickOH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Blackfocus
Starter Motor

We put a straight through muffler on the end and left the rest of the exhaust pretty much intact, it now has a decent note without sounding ****y. It cost $160 including a chrome tip.

Make sure you talk to the people in the shop though as the cheap and nasty mufflers can sound like they cost

05 SX GHIA Territory
08 Dual Cab XL Ranger
RIP 08 LT CL Focus
:
Blackfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfocus
We put a straight through muffler on the end and left the rest of the exhaust pretty much intact, it now has a decent note without sounding ****y. It cost $160 including a chrome tip.

Make sure you talk to the people in the shop though as the cheap and nasty mufflers can sound like they cost
I think that's what I am after then!

A place in WA wanted $260 to do exactly that. But then a perth falcons sponsor wanted $200 to do it. I think I know where I might go!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
nickOH

Also, was that mild steel or stainless steel?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
excelix
Starter Motor

My brother in law has done this on his focus....theres no way I would do it to mine they sounds absolutely horrible, not a good engine to get sound out of
Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelix
My brother in law has done this on his focus....theres no way I would do it to mine they sounds absolutely horrible, not a good engine to get sound out of
:(

That's a little disappointing. Did it just drone?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Nick it's an LR Focus ?? Is that correct?

If you want noise, Zetec (Matt) is you man. His original LR Focus had a system that made it sound like a rally car. PM him...he can give you the specs of the setup he had
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Nick it's an LR Focus ?? Is that correct?

If you want noise, Zetec (Matt) is you man. His original LR Focus had a system that made it sound like a rally car. PM him...he can give you the specs of the setup he had
It is an LR!

And I will PM him!

Once again you have been incredibly helpful!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
blue_focus

I have a cat back system on my foucs and it cost $320 for a 2 inch system. The sound was nice but not over the top. It also gives it a bit better performance.
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
nickOH

I spoke to a guy about getting it done today.

He said he can do a straight through performance system, from lukey. For $250.

Is that right?

Also, he said that it may be too loud, but he isn't sure as he hasn't done a focus with that set up before? Could it be too loud?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Blackfocus
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickOH
Also, was that mild steel or stainless steel?
Its mild, but its not the cheapest you can get.

This is only a temporary measure for now to see if it did anything at all to the flow, next will be a full system

05 SX GHIA Territory
08 Dual Cab XL Ranger
RIP 08 LT CL Focus
:

Last edited by Blackfocus; 09-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Blackfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
nickOH

No worries then

Quick question for you all.

Look at this website:
http://www.carline.com.au/default.as...SOUND&catid=62

Did they remove the second muffler to do this, or only replace one of them? Basically all I want to know is what parts did they change and what parts did they remove?

Thanking You
Nick
Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My guess is that there is only one muffler (backbox) and straight through to there. But that's a guess

Wouldn't it make sense to send Carline an email, given it's on their website?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
nickOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
My guess is that there is only one muffler (backbox) and straight through to there. But that's a guess

Wouldn't it make sense to send Carline an email, given it's on their website?
I'm getting my done through W.A Mufflers, who run as a Carline rep. The guy had no idea what they had done, he said we could test it out when I go in.

When I look under the focus. There's a muffler right at the back, then another one further up. Would they have removed just the rear one, and replaced that? Or removed the one further up as well? I am so lost when it comes to exhausts to be honest with you.

I just really like the sound that, that one puts out!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
819_FLY

My guess would be the front muffler would be removed. Im thinking that if they ran only with the front muffler it would give a tinny exhaust note due to the expansion up the front of the car and then its pee-shooter in diamater the rest of the way, but if its the back muffler staying the exhaust flow won't really change until it hits that muffler and then it exits straight out the system, so it should in theory (i could be wrong) give a deeper sound.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
nickOH

I agree! (Well at least I think I do)

I was under the impression that they remove the front muffler. Then have straight piping all the way to the rear muffler, which would be replaced with a ultra flow muffer to make the sound? Then I have my rear piping to finish it off?

In theory, would that be too loud to be legal or not? And would I need a hotdog in the middle somewhere? I'd rather not have the hotdog, but I don't want to be a cop magnet either!