Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Angry The EPA can go **..**..**..!!!

This thread is continuing from 'swapping exhaust questions'.

well i has my car noise tested the other day. i made up a gasket with a whole in roughly the size of a 20cent piece, put it in, got the car tested, 96Db!! so theres $35 down the drain and the problem isn't yet fixed.

so i took my car in to the local exhaust shop and got them to fit my stock exhaust, had the car tested again, another $35, 85Db. 85Db with a stock exhaust!!! oh by the way the limit is 90Db for cars built after 1988 or there abouts. cars built before the cut off date are allowed to be 96Db.

i cant beleive how close the stock exhaust comes to the limit!.

well my car is booked in for wednesday next week to put my louder exhaust back on, i cant stand the quietness of the stock one!!! man i cant even hear it at all!

just had to get this off my chest! bloody EPA, even the guy at the exhaust shop said the EPA are a bunch of d!*kheads and there even worse than the worst copper! out:

Old 21-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

Bad luck mate! It's ridiculous.

I reckon my clutch fan would be louder that 90dB! My exhaust would be close to it, as it's louder than stock, but still not over the top.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
i cant stand the quietness of the stock one!!! man i cant even hear it at all!

i would think that it performance you would want, not how loud it is!! i would have the quietest exhaust if it gave me more performance then a loud one. what does it matter if you can't hear it??

and yeah EPA sux, no more turbo if i got pulled over,

btw why are you getting a test done were you epa'd? or defected?

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

oh sorry shoulda explained! after springnats, about a week or 2 later there was a letter in the mail from the EPA, 'go test your exhaust noise'!

well your car is a sleeper so it kinda goes with eh! i like the sound of a meaty exhaust, thats why i want a loud exhaust. i like it too sound good, not pussy! just my opinion so leave me be with that!!

i just find it ridiculous that theres 5Db lead way from a stock exhaust to the limit.
Old 21-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Actually there's quite a difference between 85 and 90dba.

Normal conversation sound levels are somewhere around 70dba, while a jumbo jet taking off is around something like 110dba. Threshold for pain is 130dba, or any VN minus its ressy (Figures may be wrong, and VN figure is based on sound quality).
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Actually there's quite a difference between 85 and 90dba.

Normal conversation sound levels are somewhere around 70dba, while a jumbo jet taking off is around something like 110dba. Threshold for pain is 130dba, or any VN minus its ressy (Figures may be wrong, and VN figure is based on sound quality).
haha lol so true those damn vn's make my ears bleed.

Quote:
i like the sound of a meaty exhaust, thats why i want a loud exhaust. i like it too sound good, not pussy!
fair enough mate, it reminds me i must drop the pipes on my gf hyundai excel so it sounds meaty, not pussy!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 21-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey braden, you wouldnt happen to have a sound clip of your car? Surely it cant be that loud?
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

c'mon man you know what i'm getting at. you can say a 2.5" sports exhaust doesnt sounds better than a quiet 2" exhaust with mufflers hanging off it everywhere! i like it to have a decent note to it, is that a crime? actually i can answer that and the answer is 'yes' according to the EPA!

my sports exhaust is 96Db, its not so loud it hurts, it sounds nice IMO.

when the exhaust was being tested today with the stock exhaust i can swear the clutch fan would have been well over 100Db! why isn't there rules on clutch fans?? the EPA should grant people stuck with clutch fans with thermo fans because there quieter!
Old 21-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8
hey braden, you wouldnt happen to have a sound clip of your car? Surely it cant be that loud?
no idea, whats a sound clip and wheres it go? i've never heard of it! and yes it was that loud!
Old 21-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

yeh id like to hear it as well.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You realise 3db doubles the sound output. And 10db doubles the loudness percieved by humans.

So yes, 5db is a big margin.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no idea, whats a sound clip and wheres it go? i've never heard of it! and yes it was that loud!

: he means to take a video/sound recording of your car and post it up here!

EPA sucks yes, but thats the rule when manafacturers put exhausts on cars they dont make allowances so 15 years later kids can go and whack a larger exhaust on their car...as long as it meets ADR's at the time there happy.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:

R O L F......

its next to the flux capasitor

Old 21-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmanul
i would think that it performance you would want, not how loud it is!! i would have the quietest exhaust if it gave me more performance then a loud one. what does it matter if you can't hear it??
I have thought the same myself recently. It seems many prefer the illusion of performance that = speed and the attention you get from it.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
poomba
xc - my other love

man, y didn't you just stuff some steel wool down there behind wire (so you can get it back out)...

i did this once:

between the flange (headders to cat) i slipped in some stainless steel mesh, and on the headders side stuffed a ball of steel wool. bolted it back together.

did it infront of the shop, rolled it in strated it up got tested, rolled it out (runs like pig with the wool in). car is normally around 97db, tested at 93 with steel wool... all good.

as soon as i rolled it out of the shop, i ripped the steelwool and mesh out, started the car back up, and took off. bloke thought it was hillarious.

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

^^^ Now THAT is gold!
Old 21-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Inspection revs the car to something like 3,500-4,000RPM and imagine if the steel wool fell out.

They've had thousands of people come to them for inspection, your not the first to do this.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #18
poomba
xc - my other love

Quote:
^^^ Now THAT is gold!
i do what i can

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
Old 21-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
poomba
xc - my other love

Quote:
^^^ Now THAT is gold!
i do what i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist
Inspection revs the car to something like 3,500-4,000RPM and imagine if the steel wool fell out.

They've had thousands of people come to them for inspection, your not the first to do this.

1: if you can push steel wool through hi grade stainless steel mesh, you are doin pretty well

2: well la di da..... aint u the beez neez

Last edited by poomba; 21-12-2006 at 06:32 PM. Reason: i like pizza
Old 21-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #20
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Whats this about the EPA....

:jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab:
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #21
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Is it so much to ask to have a car that complies with laws that have been in place longer than the car has existed? They set the decibel limits at prescribed levels for a reason.

There's much more important things in life than the sound of your car's exhaust. Stop and smell the roses every now and then guys...

Good luck getting it sorted, hope you dont blow too much more money on the excercise.
Old 21-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Braden, would you like to fill us in on how you came to be in this situation? 99.9% of the cops in Bendigo will only pull you over for such a thing, if you are driving like a fool... Your car sounds like its relatively close to stock, and its a 6.... what's going on?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #23
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Whats this about the EPA....

:jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: :jab:
yeah exactly that!

sound clip!! very funny i get it now!!! : nah i dont sorry!

people keep going on about performance over the sound of the car. yes i'd like to have better performance but my bank allowance wont allow for that kinda money. the exhaust was put on by a previous owner so why would i take it off just because it sounds good but doesnt have A grade performance to match?

this is my exhaust so if someones got something similar you'll know how loud it is:

2.5" piping
1 medium sized muffler in the first section
1 hotdog at the rear
its all catback
standard manifold
standard cat

it sounds great but its not stupid loud.
imagine if i had extrators, hi flow cat and a cam! which btw is what a lot of people on here have. how many people have been tested and at what Db rating is your exhaust?
Old 21-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

He happened to be in Shep during Springnats.
Old 21-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #25
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Now Braden, would you like to fill us in on how you came to be in this situation? 99.9% of the cops in Bendigo will only pull you over for such a thing, if you are driving like a fool... Your car sounds like its relatively close to stock, and its a 6.... what's going on?
read post 4 mate. and no i wasnt driving like a d!*k. i was very concious of the car all weekend up at shep with the springnats going on so i was driving the car as quiet as i could. remember they test the noise at around 3000 3500 rpm.

oh and by the way i've never been pulled up in Bendigo, ever!
Old 21-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #26
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahhh that explains a lot, a car that isn't dead stock.... during springnats time = cops pounce... Grasshopper understands completely now :monkes:
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #27
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
yeah kinda speaks for itself, coppers on every block, EPA guys would be up there in the thousands! they would have been sending out letters in the mail for people talking to loudly out of their car. ruins the weekend.
Old 21-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
BAWagonWheels

why is it a Harley Davidson motorcycle can get away with its VERY LOUD exhaust noise but a V8 gets scrutinised?
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #29
Damo
Banned

Quote:
imagine if i had extrators, hi flow cat and a cam!
Yeah that would be sick! Like mine :hihi:

BTW I got through Springnats unscaved, mind you I drove in on friday night parked at the caravan park, then drove out saturday evening. :P Did rip a skid at the caravan park though, and still got my bond back.

Good to hear you got it sorted in the end Braden, stock e-series sound like crap.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #30
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its not a matter of a loud exhaust, its a matter of getting asked to have it tested.

Whats the exact 1988 cut off date on that 96db, my 88 ghia might be able to go loud

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post