Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Thumbs down Ecu reflashing, Ford are pathetic

Hey focus fanatics :P reason im posting in here is because with this sorta thing you guys are more experienced as the focus has been out longer than fiesta..

I want my computer software updated, car feels a little sluggish and is no longer sipping politely on the fuel, but instead guzzling like a thirsty camel on a 30 day walk accross the sahara.

this has happened before, roughly a month after i bought the car, had the reflash and it was fantastic. now at 11,450 kms i think it needs it again.
I rung and booked it in, and asked how long it would take. and he said leave it with us for at least 3 hours. COME ON WTF. How can it possibly take that long ???
**** weak in my opinion

Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok I'll take a stab at it and say the reason it's taking so long is because they're testing it on the WDS before flashing it. You can't just walk in and say you want the latest updates because they wont give them to you unless they're required. Hence they test and test and lie and test some more and then lie about it saying its fine, then when you finally whinge enough they might actually do it. From memory a reflash can take anywhere up at 45 mins to do, depends on the extent of it.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
this has happened before, roughly a month after i bought the car, had the reflash and it was fantastic. now at 11,450 kms i think it needs it again.
Just read this bit - that may not neccesarily be true. If youve already had one flash in particular it's unlikely they'll do it again unless there is a pretty good reason to - bit of a waste of time to put the same thing back on there.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

but apparently they are constantly updating the flash. so it fixes problems as they arrise
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
but apparently they are constantly updating the flash. so it fixes problems as they arrise
They're not 'updating' it, they make new ones. If you look on the WDS as to what ones are available you will see literally hundreds of them which are developed to fix specific issues - there isnt just one big one that they do to every car when something goes wrong with it.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
king_pin

If you have had the ECU flsahed once already you will not need to get it reflashed again with the same update.

The actual flashing process should not take long. Just a matter of connecting to the programmer and waiting a few seconds. Who knows what other tests they do in the mean tiem to warrant a reflashing.

Ford seem VERY reluctant to do it at all. I am still running off the stock ECU code. I have mentioned about them doing it after reading a few posts. When I got it back from the service all they say is that it is not required.

Regardless if it needs it or not, a cars ECU should be updated with the latest firmware in my opinion. Why was a new version written if not to improve on the previous version?

Hows this for an analogy...

Person: "I would like to play the new and greatest game Doom 3"
Ford Service Man: "Do you own the original game Doom?"
Person: "Yes, it is great, but I would like to play the new one"
Ford Service Man: "BAD LUCK BUDDY! No Doom 3 for you"

Last edited by king_pin; 04-08-2005 at 04:22 PM.
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pin

Regardless if it needs it or not, a cars ECU should be updated with the latest firmware in my opinion. Why was a new version written if not to improve on the previous version?
I can see where you're coming from but what you need to remember is that not all cars exhibit the same problems or issues. The vast majority of ECU reflashes are done to correct things that come up in a number of vehicles, not neccesarily all of them do it though.
So if Vehicle A has an issue which can be fixed with a flash, and vehicle B doesnt have the issue but wants the flash, it can cause problems in vehicle B, because the flash is designed to alter/add information and settings that are required to fix the problem. If the car doesnt have the problem but those settings get altered anyway, that can cause issues.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
lincoln
Blinded

It's a bit like the soup nazi... you have to ask in a particular way. Although at 11,500km and I'm assuming no service, it's probably just your oil getting on a bit... when was the last change?
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Ecu reflashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
It's a bit like the soup nazi... you have to ask in a particular way. Although at 11,500km and I'm assuming no service, it's probably just your oil getting on a bit... when was the last change?

Nah my oil is fine, ive changed my oil four times already, changed the filter everytime aswell. Shell helix ultra.
I changed my booking till tuesday, they said they will do a complete system diagnosis on it while im at tafe all day.
One thing, whenever ive taken my car to ford for a check up or to gets omething fixed i have taken my air intake out and returned it to stock..
Rekon they will get ****y if i leave it??
I use standard airbox, upgraded filter (not that theyd look inside the airbox)
Standard intake point plus an additional cold air feed... and i have an exhaust.
They will probably try blame any problems on my mods

Loads of fun :
Old 05-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Suth
Suth

It's a bit like the soup nazi...

Lincoln, was thinking exactly the same thing. Damn those doom3 Nazis. When I last got the zetec serviced I politely asked if there were any software updates etc as it had been a bit thirsty. Collected the car and the technician (not called mechanics anymore) told me that it had the PCM (ECU?) had the latest software already installed as he had double checked for updates. It does seem to be who you ask and how you ask them.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Nah my oil is fine, ive changed my oil four times already, changed the filter everytime aswell. Shell helix ultra.
I changed my booking till tuesday, they said they will do a complete system diagnosis on it while im at tafe all day.
One thing, whenever ive taken my car to ford for a check up or to gets omething fixed i have taken my air intake out and returned it to stock..
Rekon they will get ****y if i leave it??
I use standard airbox, upgraded filter (not that theyd look inside the airbox)
Standard intake point plus an additional cold air feed... and i have an exhaust.
They will probably try blame any problems on my mods
Return it to stock as much as you can, I wouldnt worry about the airfilter but remove your second intake. As youve said, they'll pin it to that if they can.
Old 24-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Pardon my ignorance Back2thefutura, what's a WDS??
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Pardon my ignorance Back2thefutura, what's a WDS??
WDS = Worldwide Diagnostic System. This is the unit that plugs into the plug located under your steering column in the little shelf bit there. Its what runs the tests and does the ECU flashing etc etc.
Old 25-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #14
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Thanks kindly! I remember watching the lead mechanic do exactly this last time.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post