Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Wheels magazine... Mega Hatch test!!!!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Focus Zetec Auto came 2nd out of the 9 hatches, behind the Golf FSI Auto.... meanwhile, the SP23 auto came 3rd..... GO THE ZETEC!

Disappointing was the performance.... 0-100 in 10.0 seconds flat. I guess it could be that the car must be new and hence not opened up

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

that is a very dissapointing 0-100 figure. i would of thought itd be similar to mazda 3 or corolla at around 9 seconds.
Saw my first new silver zetec hatch on the weekend and it does look like it has become a bit of a fatty, a very nice fatty though...
If the test car was brand new maybe after a few thousand kms once its run in itd could take a couple hundredths off that 10 second time.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
JR.
Once more with feeling

Even with the SSS mode, the auto's not the most performance oriented gearbox I've ever felt.

Manuals feel like they've got a lot more poke, so it must be down to gearing.

On the upside, you've got a footrest and lots of footwell room in the auto - something you can't say in either case about the manuals.
Old 25-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yes the auto was tested, hence the slow times, but from 3,500km experience in the auto Ghia Sedan, when run it it was more than a match for my 5 speed Mk I Zetec unfortunately... :( It deserves to be up the top too, the Corolla also deserves to be well and truly clear at the bottom of the field and didn't it get roasted!!!!!!!! Deservedly so.

Motor recorded an 8.98 in a manual and I can confirm it'll keep an SP23 honest so that's not too far off the mark I reckon.
Old 25-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

They love the new dash and ergonimics..... and admit that the car looks better then it did when they first saw it UK (but, our zetec is better, yea?)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 26-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Well done to the new Focus

How much faster was the Golf, in fact, what cars were faster, out of curiousity?

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Ok, here goes.... these are ALL automatics:
Ranked from best in class to worst in class
0-100kmh 0-400m
1. VW Golf FSI Comfortline 6speed automatic. 9.1 16.5
2. Ford Focus Zetec 4 speed automatic. 10.0 17.2
3. Mazda3 SP23 4 speed automatic 9.1 16.7
4. Subaru Impreza RS 4 speed automatic 9.3 16.8
5. Holden Astra CDXi 4 speed automatic 11.4 18.0
6. Citroen C4 Exclusive 4 speed auto 9.6 16.9
7. Peugeot 307 XSR 4 speed auto 9.8 17.1
8. Mercedes-Benz A170 Classic CVT auto 11.0 17.9
9. Toyota Corolla Levin 4 speed auto 10.4 17.4

Old 26-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Got the mag today and had a bit of a read.

I find it interesting how they keep ranting about how LS Focus is so much better than LR in terms of styling. Top Gear review claimed the opposite - said it was bland and boring. I guess its a matter of person choice but its funny how a supposed "Euro" Styled hatch is sorta overlooked in its original habitat, yet out here it can either make or break you.
Old 26-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Got the mag today and had a bit of a read.

I find it interesting how they keep ranting about how LS Focus is so much better than LR in terms of styling. Top Gear review claimed the opposite - said it was bland and boring. I guess its a matter of person choice but its funny how a supposed "Euro" Styled hatch is sorta overlooked in its original habitat, yet out here it can either make or break you.
I think its due to our Zetec model. The LX and CL looks understated in terms of styling.... they dont really stand out. The car used in TopGear wasnt exactly a sporty model..... And in the UK, the Zetec gets 16s like our LX. Our Zetec has the blackened front lights, bodykit and 17s, which looks MUCH better then the UK version. I think it is for this reason that the zetec looks really good in the flesh.....

Old 26-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

True. I know that i'll be accused of being biased by saying this but I really do prefer the look of the LR in so many ways over the LS. Im honestly not just saying that because I own one, but if i personally were buying and was given the choice of LR or LS, Im pretty sure I would go with LR just because it stands out. It just seems so many of the smaller cars especially are getting more and more conservative in their looks. That's ok and it will happen regardless of what 1 person thinks, but for those of us who want something thats a bit of a looker as well, it can be difficult.

The thig that really sold me on the LR Focus was in the brochure, that big 2 page pic of the Silver Zetec R with the bodykit and 17's. I said (and still do) "thats how I want my car to look". Looking at the new one's brochure I dont see any pics that make me feel that way about the car.
Old 26-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
simonr
Focus Rookie

Does that mean that the new Mazda3 is faster than my Manual LR zetec??
I have a gay friend who just bought one i don't want him to have a faster car than me... hahaha
performance mods on the way asap...
nice to know the we are pretty close to the subaru rs..
Old 27-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
Does that mean that the new Mazda3 is faster than my Manual LR zetec??
Correct. But a New LS is Faster than a Mazda 3!! :eclipsee_
Old 27-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
tabaccs

yea simonr, my brother owns a masda 3 and ive personally driven it. unfortunately for us it is quicker than our zetecs. his is manual and so is my zetec, and with the 3 alot of the power is available right thru the rev range, hard to stop the wheels spinning on takeoff. but one thing i have to admit is that the focus is a much nicer drive... every now and then he comes to borrow my car for the weekend because he loves the handling compared to his 3... so i guess in a way we cant have the best of both worlds, we get the handling but unfortunately he'll beat us at the lights.

cheers adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Correct. But a New LS is Faster than a Mazda 3!! :eclipsee_
You sure Matt?

Old 27-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Not only does it have more power when run on premium but the SP23 I smoked is at leat one notch on it's belt... :
Old 27-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Not only does it have more power when run on premium but the SP23 I smoked is at leat one notch on it's belt... :
SP23 has 115kw..... Focus MK2 Zetec has 107kw on premium.....

Old 28-08-2005, 01:58 AM   #17
lincoln
Blinded

Gawd, what a load of hogwash. Gotta love how you can make conclusions on "smoking" people on public roads as to what the performance of another car is. Good one.

Simple facts, all cars in the test were tested in identical conditions. All autos. SP23 and a Zetec.

Matt, care to clarify which 3 is faster than what Focus? I can't believe I'm asking, as I really don't care. But such blanket statements must be responded to, because in Wheel's case, you're just plain wrong.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SP23 has over the new Focus Zetec (according to my research)

more power
more torque
less weight

and according to an above post a faster 0-100/0-400m time

So can someone explain how the new Focus Zetec has more power when run on PULP & is it quicker or not : :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sorry guys I just wrote a post and lost the damn thing, I'll try to rewrite it... *^#%^!!

To cut it short, I apologise for not researching properly. I never meant the SP23 is slower than a Zetec, I was talking about the regular 3 and stupidly then included the SP23 in the same sentence. Should have made it clearer. Please forgive. I did manage to run against an SP23 on one of our cruises and with a passenger in the Focus I was still pulling away from him, even though he had a worse start, I'd have assumed he'd at least slowed the gap but never managed to. This however is not a proper test, I apologise.

When talking Mazda 3 (say the Maxx Sport or any other 2.0 model) vs the Zetec, the Zetec has 107kw/185Nm to 104kw/181Nm, that was what I meant. SP23 has 114kw/203Nm. Focus is a slightly heavier car by about 50kg.

Unfortunately the times, after some research in Wheels, Motor and Evo (which had no times for either), are inconclusive. As usual Wheels and Motor can't cover every model, Wheels gives the following for 0-100 and the Quarter. (all manual)

Mazda 3 - 8.7s/16.2
Mazda SP23 - 8.3/15.9
Focus Zetec - Nothing (as usual for a manual Focus... didn't have old model either, but perhaps they will in a test soon)

Motor gives this:

Mazda 3 (2.0) - Nothing
Mazda SP23 - 8.73/16.25 (same as Wheels for the regular 2.0!!)
Focus Zetec - 8.98/16.43 (Not a shabby time comparatively, but more like a crap SP23 time here)

So Motor and Wheels tell totally different stories, what remains to be seen is Wheels' time for the Focus to see if they're totally random. I knew the Focus Motor time and the SP23 time and incorrectly assumed 3 was slower, I will check more mags next time. Wheels times seem far more realistic (why does that not surprise me?), Motor is yet to be tested, each mag is missing the third competitor to see just how consistent their figures are... clearly not very consistent at this stage.

At the end of the day there's not more than a gnat's eyebrow in the Mazda 3 and Focus Zetec and in real world probably nothing either way between most 2.0 hatches of the new Gen unless absoultely every variable is identical such as launch and driver and timing... sorry for confusing you all and not backing up my own dribble before posting it. So spank me.
Old 28-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #20
lincoln
Blinded

The two testing methodologies are different between Wheels and Motor. I think Motor test with a full tank with two aboard. Not sure about Wheels.

In the end it comes down to personal preference between the two cars. But this dribble of beating cars on the public roads is nothing short of tiring, monontonous dribble. They are public roads and I'd hate to see Focus owners getting a reputation for being @#$@wits on the road. Or am I too late?
Old 28-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Pull your head in Lincoln I don't appreciate being called that, I'm not going to stoop to your level, but just take it easy mate. I apologised and won't repeat it. I just don't expect anyone to put anyone else down like that here, least of all from yourself.
Old 28-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

To be honest I do in some ways agree with Lincoln. It gets very tiring reading about car reviews and then watching as everyone gets into a spat about 0-100 times and how fast it is compared to other cars.

Granted performance is an aspect to consider but does it really matter to the point where we need to debate it over and over?

If i was worried about how fast a Focus was i sure as hell WOULDNT have bought mine! 2L Auto CL - i can get out and walk quicker some days.
Old 28-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #23
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Pull your head in Lincoln I don't appreciate being called that, I'm not going to stoop to your level, but just take it easy mate. I apologised and won't repeat it. I just don't expect anyone to put anyone else down like that here, least of all from yourself.
Matt, my comments aren't directed at you specifically -- if it was I'd have said "Matt" in front of my post. But of late, this forum appears to be all about chest beating about how great their car is. I was very happy to see the WA Focus hooligan (chevap) driving post get removed, for example.

Hopefully, we can talk about the various merits of our cars and others, without talking about which car we blew off at a set of lights. See my point? If it's all about chest beating, things can get very tiring. I certainly don't want to read about it!

As Wheels highlighted in their article, is this the non-Aussie Ford that will finally get the attention it deserves, or is Ford going to leave it by the wayside again and let it fend for itself? It's a great car that is selling itself at the moment, but it deserves to sell in Astra volumes.

Last edited by lincoln; 28-08-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 28-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #24
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
To be honest I do in some ways agree with Lincoln. It gets very tiring reading about car reviews and then watching as everyone gets into a spat about 0-100 times and how fast it is compared to other cars.

Granted performance is an aspect to consider but does it really matter to the point where we need to debate it over and over?

If i was worried about how fast a Focus was i sure as hell WOULDNT have bought mine! 2L Auto CL - i can get out and walk quicker some days.
Exactly, if I bought my ST170 for 0-100 times, I'd have bought an Astra turbo! These reviews are interesting to highlight the good and bad points of the cars that we love. Blowing off cars on public roads is hardly a comparo!

With a Peugeot 307 in the household here, a lot of what was said of the 307 rings true. A trully woeful car, IMO. I cringe every time I have to drive or ride in it. Euro Fords have the ride and handling of French cars of old. Great to see.

A mate has a Golf FSI auto and that is a VERY impressive car. Without even driving the new Zetec, I know the FSI is a more impressive package. Quite amazing, really. I just ahve concerns over quality, as I have owned a Mark IV Golf GTI.
Old 28-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No probs Lincoln, I do agree with you, I need to stop talking seat-of-the-pants all the time and do a bit more research at times...

I definitely agree the Euro Fords are the new Peugeots of old in terms of ride/handling, shame really because Peugeot GTi used to be a name that was worshipped, these days it's almost non existent apart from the 206 which in regular form is no hotter than a Zetec Focus. Granted the GTi 180 is a hottie but it's fighting alone.

I am very keen to drive a new Golf, see what all the hype is about, every time I see a GTi with those twin rear pipes I just drool. Definitely a cool car to have. I'm just hoping Ford brings out this ST, then there'd be something from the Ford stable to rival the Gti once and for all! It would be interesting to see if it was better in any way (such as handling) or if it was just a clone, although I highly doubt it'll be less than brilliant!!
Old 28-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #26
lincoln
Blinded

The 6 speed auto is just marvellous. If it doesn't blow you away, Matt, there's something wrong with ya! haha.

Ford did steal many of Peugeots engineers, which is why the control blade rear suspension looks damn near identical to a 406's rear end. Ford also continue to tune their cars for British B roads, which give it good ride and handling. The French appear to have lots of smooth roads now or something, because they're easily upset by mid corner bumps.

I'll see if I can get into a new ST whilst I'm in the UK and let y'all know how it goes. I'm still awfully tempted to bring back an LR RS when I return in a couple of years.
Old 28-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #27
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Handling, Performance, all this bulls**t, you cant even talk about it without getting criticised. You cant even test handling and performance without being called stupid, or ******** or whatever other names you have for me.

My car does 0-100km in ?? seconds: so what! most public roads are set below 100km/h speed limit. The cars handling on the limit is great: your stupidity on public roads gives us a bad name.

Im not an angel on the road, but who da f**k is? Let he who is without sin to cast the first stone..... so who's gona be the first one to throw the stone....??

I am not a hooligan ok!!! Lets get that straight. So your not picking on anyone in particular with your comments, well you seemed to have made my name very clear in the post. Talk about picking on people!!!

I hope your all glad my post got removed, but little do you all realise that this kinda s**t is all over these damn forums and even in the EFC website, in pictures, in videos, in comments, yet these things dont get criticised nor deleted coz they come from moderators or moderators friends. Id be more than happy to start quoting and creating links to the old FF website, FFau and EFC, then you too can start to realise by all these definitions of a hooligan, hey, im a "hooligan" too. How bout the moderators start being a bit more consistent with what gets filtered in these forums, if what is being said and done is damaging to the image of ford, and in particular, focus drvers.

I just cant stand people coming across like they're angels on the road, they stick to all speed limits, they turn gently blah blah blah. For all youz older people who look at us younguns as hoons, hooligans etc, just remember, you were once young too.

Tom
Old 28-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #28
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I am not sure whats happened, this is the first time I have visited this thread this weekend.

Tom, you're right, those of us who moderate this site do need to be consistent. And if you have a problem with any of the content on our eurofordclub website, please send me an e-mail or PM, there should be no content whatsoever that endorses illegal activity.

I am not sure what has transpired for this thread to come to this, but under no circumstances do we condone any illegal activity. There is a limit of friendly banter that is just that, all talk... but actual discussion of doing such activities or the intent to should not be discussed on the forums.

I dont know what happened but if you feel discriminated against, send me a PM, Tom.

Sucks that threads have to come to all this, remember it's a discussion forum. Learn to get along, people... breathe, it's just the internet.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'll just point out for the record that I do not (and can not) moderate these particular forums.
Old 28-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #30
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

This is exactly my point! These are forums, for discussion, and there is other material on the net that we are associated with, that shows some illegal activity, so why should what i have posted, be so different and be deleted, then made an issue of, and me specifically pointed out to, called stupid, a hoon etc etc.

Thats the kinda stuff i dont appreciate, and i dont want to have to tolerate it. Like i said, if all the moderators really want me to, id be more than happy to start posting links to threads and pics, comments etc to just prove my point.

My point that i tried to make is, if im gona be singled out as a hooligan from WA, that gives focus drivers a bad name, I am most definately not the only one who who would fall under this category. Im asking for a fair go, and if im gona get my head bitten off for a single post which unfortunately got someone so offended that they had to delete it, then i dont see whats the point of even trying to contribute anything at all.

Tom