Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
blue_focus

Default Fly wheel

Hey ever1 not sure if this has been posted before bit I was thinkin about gettin a lightened fly wheel for my focus. Just want to no if it will make a differenc or not. My main goal is to run a be 1/4 mile. Thanks.

blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
819_FLY

Lightened Flywheel should make the engine rev up quicker due to the lower amount of weight that it has to spin around, you should get a new clutch that suits the application desired. Given it will rev quicker should in affect mean that acceleration would be improved marginally. If you haven't prob run your car down the 1/4 mile and see how good you can get with its current combination and then you could appreciate the mods you do to your car to make it faster that little bit more.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
BlackLS
yum

There are some disadvantages to lighter flywheel. Mostly loss of torque low down.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Mullett
Badly Focused

For drag racing it will make very little difference on a low-powered car like the Focus, maybe 0.2 of a second, learning to drive it will yeild more :P For track racing, it's definitly worth having, any rotating mass you can eliminate is great. It's a common misconception that you lose torque, it is easier to stall the car, but this is due to less stored energy, the power and torque output of the engine does not change.

The flywheel is simply a device for storing energy, but it takes energy to spin it, so apply the weight to your application. A tune will give you far more, and cost far less...

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've always assumed a lightened flywheel means quicker to get to higher rpms when you push throttle, but will lose momentum quicker when you take foot off the throttle (ie not as much stored energy)

A very clumsy way to describe it....but basically right??
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found it improved control in the rally car. And a low mass clutch which is a good thing to do at the same time made gear shifts much faster...

I say go for it if you have the budget.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

But less mass in the lower RPMs means there is more force acting against the rotation of the engine in the compression stroke.

Old 14-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

I'd still go for it, if your in the high end RPMs a lot. Seeing as the Focus idles on the freeway at 3100 RPMs then you shouldn't find it a big inconvenience.

Old 14-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its also a good time to drop in a close ratio dog set in the box. Makes for dead easy lightning fast gear changes,,,

But on apprentice wages maybe not..
Old 15-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I've always assumed a lightened flywheel means quicker to get to higher rpms when you push throttle, but will lose momentum quicker when you take foot off the throttle (ie not as much stored energy)

A very clumsy way to describe it....but basically right??
Pretty much right though mate, it takes torque to spin up the flywheel, and it releases torque when it's spinning down. The lighter the better for a racecar, for a street car, you want a compromise, something that still allows an easy takeoff, but is light enough to allow a good spin up.

I stand by my point about the tune, a good flywheel will cost you $500++++ plus fitting, where a tune will be $3-400, release *real* power, and improve the throttle response (the real advantage of a light flywheel) immeasurably.

-RM

P.S. *if i missslept...blame the scotch*

P.P.S *or if imy advice is complete bollocks*

Old 15-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Pretty much right though mate, it takes torque to spin up the flywheel, and it releases torque when it's spinning down. The lighter the better for a racecar, for a street car, you want a compromise, something that still allows an easy takeoff, but is light enough to allow a good spin up.

I stand by my point about the tune, a good flywheel will cost you $500++++ plus fitting, where a tune will be $3-400, release *real* power, and improve the throttle response (the real advantage of a light flywheel) immeasurably.

-RM

P.S. *if i missslept...blame the scotch*

P.P.S *or if imy advice is complete bollocks*
Get both the tune and f/w

Old 15-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
melbzetec

One of the better kits going around. matched clutch and flywheel. Exedy. (US Dollars)

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.massives...dex.shopscript
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 15-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
819_FLY

Get this!!!! :

Check out 819FLY!!
Old 16-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Mullett
Badly Focused

If you have one million horsepowers :P

On the other hand, I can get trade price on Excedy clutch kits, if you're really keen on one I can try and source a price for you.

-RM.

Old 16-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
melbzetec

mmmm link didn't go to the right place before.

Anyway, i was trying to link to this at Massive Speed Systems

Exedy Hyper Single System

Order no.: MCHW'Exedy Focus Clutch
Our price: $ 1,157.19

Hands down the finest clutch system available for the Focus.
Includes a high strength Chome Moly flywheel, 6 Puck Sprung Disc, lightweight Aluminum Pressure Plate, and install tool. Its the only truely different clutch/flywheel/pressure plate setup out there. It uses a forged aluminum pressure plate cover thats acctually stiffer than the stamped steel cover every other factory and performance clutch is based on. That allows a higher lever ratio, the pedal effort is still superb, and there is no clamp load deflection. Not to mention lighter weight.
Since the pressure plate is so much lighter, Exedy was able to incorporate a 1 piece Chrome Moly flywheel that is stronger than either a stock or aftermarket aluminum piece.
The disc features a sprung hub so it can still retain a fairly smooth engagement. This also reduces harmful the shock to the drivetrain. That said, this setup has a very different feel than anything else we have ever tried, and will take a little "getting used to". We have found that this is fairly easy to do.
This setup can handle more power than any other currently available Focus clutch. Numbers show approximately 400% more holding capacity than stock.

Old 16-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of a notice on the wall in one of the rally davelopment teams.

To go fast costs money.

How fast do you want to spend?

How true....
Old 16-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "To go fast costs money. How fast do you want to spend?"

Yeah, I've had mates who've won their respective Classes in Production Cars and that's pretty much how it is in the industry. Oh, I noticed the 2 Britek Fiesta's are still for sale/lease.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
blue_focus

Thanks for the help. It really doesnt sound like it worth spending the extra money for the little extra performance. Will have to keep searching for more budget performance mods.
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
To go fast costs money.

How fast do you want to spend?
Yep too true... I've spent more than 12k on mods for my focus and most of that was just the brakes, the rest is all cosmetic.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #20
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_focus
Thanks for the help. It really doesnt sound like it worth spending the extra money for the little extra performance. Will have to keep searching for more budget performance mods.

Intake

(cat back) Exhaust

Tune

Then a turbo if you want to go any faster

-RM.

Talking of which, I might get a round of hard-pipe intake pipes made up, I'll post a thread about it and get an idea of how many I can get rid of when i get back home (about a month away :( )

All the ones from online seem crappy/overpriced, I doubt it'd cost more than $50-100 for the pipe and silicon connectors.

Old 20-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Intake

(cat back) Exhaust

Tune

Then a turbo if you want to go any faster

-RM.

Talking of which, I might get a round of hard-pipe intake pipes made up, I'll post a thread about it and get an idea of how many I can get rid of when i get back home (about a month away :( )

All the ones from online seem crappy/overpriced, I doubt it'd cost more than $50-100 for the pipe and silicon connectors.

I'm in....
Old 20-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
BlackLS
yum

+1 here

Old 20-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Mullett
Badly Focused

Ok, I'll measure up when I get back to Perth. Most likely run it straight down from the TB, then across infront of the passenger wheel, behind the foglight. Anyone have any better ideas?

-RM.

Old 20-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #24
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just gonna shove a pod in the hole left by the std airbox. So ur plans are much better so long as it's easy to access the filter....

I ran around a while ago with no filter connected - cool and wet with no dust. Anyhow it pulled like 16 year old so there;s a noticeable gain lurking in the inlet.
Old 21-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #25
BlackLS
yum

Bring it into the front airdam.

Old 21-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #26
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bingo
Old 21-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
BlackLS
yum

Might need to make it adjustable so you can twist it around when it's raining hard.

Old 21-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Might need to make it adjustable so you can twist it around when it's raining hard.
Hmmm.... kind of reminds me of this thread I found:

[font='Verdana','sans-serif']http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

funniest thing I ever heard and I thought I knew little about engines... [/font]
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #29
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
Hmmm.... kind of reminds me of this thread I found:

[font='Verdana','sans-serif']http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

funniest thing I ever heard and I thought I knew little about engines... [/font]

HOLY

-RM.

Old 21-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
819_FLY

reminds me of stories of apprentices that when doing a service draining the oil, start the engine up to blow the oil out faster..... then wonder why the engine has trouble running after that. :

Check out 819FLY!!