Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Going to buy a Focus 2006, good car?

Hey guys, my 24 year old son is in the market for a car and has always liked the Focus hatch (has to be a hatch for his band gear and he's a student nurse so an economical 4 cyl). Budget is $7500.00 about a 2006 model with about 100-120k on the clock max.
Spotted a couple of zetecs in our price range.
No I have seen some feedback from owners complaining about the trannys being *****.
I'm trying to push him towards a MazdaSP23 or a Mazda6 hatch.
So any tips advice appreciated, apart from go for the Mazda.
Cheers,
JD
Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
JVC063

Default Re: Going to buy a Focus 2006, good car?

Nothing wrong with transmission in these models? Is there. We have a 2007 LT Zetec manual and its fine, One owner when purchased $8000, 120ks two years ago this January. No issues at all, touch wood.
JVC063 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

As JVC stated, there is nothing wrong with the transmissions in the model that you are looking at.

Like every car, individual ones can have their issues but overall they actually weren't a bad car at all.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
dazFX
Starter Motor

The SP23 has a few more kilowatts and torque with the same transmission and chassis.
EO XR5 Turbo: PS u412, Deresonated Xforce Catback, 200 cell cat, 3" downpipe, Dreamscience CAI, Airtec Gen 3 IC, Turbosmart dual port, RS injectors, Elevate TCV, VT torque mount, King Springs, Bilstein B8s, Whiteline RARB, Adjustable Camber arms, PDW Oasis, Bonnet strut lifters
dazFX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

My wife has a LS Focus LX manual. Fully optioned. Its a brilliant car. have owned it for 5 years and literally the only money i've spent on it, outside of normal servicing, is the alternator. Otherwise its been faultless.

My inlaws have a LS Focus CL auto, which is also a very good car requiring very little money spent on it in the 5 years they have owned it. Its not quite as refined as my wife's, but it started life as a rep's car, so probably didn't get looked after that well.

I would recommend a LS focus to anyone. great car.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks prydey, gives me a bit more confidence in picking one.
Old 13-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a 2006 focus 2 litre manual.
Our neighbour had a 2006 Mazda 3.
Guess which cost less in repair maintenance and servicing.
The ford.
Try to get one closer to 100kms as with any car round 150kms they start costing money.
The only thing I didn't like was the Mazda engine in the focus never seemed to rev freely had a 1600cc 2007 fiesta at the same time and that motor revved cleanly and freely, that fiesta is a good car. Later on we bought an auto 2007 fiesta for our daughter kept a year or so , she went off to Europe and sold it at a profit.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Still have the 2006 LX hatch. Have not had a single fault on it. I drive it like I stole it. It's done 70,000kms. Only just did my brake pads and rotors the other week. Always starts first go. I'd definitely recommend it.

Looking at upgrading to the RS actually but have no funds to do so. :(

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
We had a 2006 focus 2 litre manual.
Our neighbour had a 2006 Mazda 3.
Guess which cost less in repair maintenance and servicing.
The ford.
Try to get one closer to 100kms as with any car round 150kms they start costing money.
The only thing I didn't like was the Mazda engine in the focus never seemed to rev freely had a 1600cc 2007 fiesta at the same time and that motor revved cleanly and freely, that fiesta is a good car. Later on we bought an auto 2007 fiesta for our daughter kept a year or so , she went off to Europe and sold it at a profit.
Thanks all, 2 we're looking at, one has 97k and the other 111k, so should still quite a bit of trouble free motoring.
Old 14-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great little car, we bought a LS, LX Manual Focus new and had it for 7 years....no problems at all.

The only thing you'll need to be mindful of is the timing chain, which from memory needs to be replaced after 10 years or 240k, whichever comes first.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Focus is great. I'd look at Mazda 3 as well, but the thing is they usually seem more expensive so just look for the best deal you can find. Having a timing chain to begin with is definitely a plus (could be like the holden viva and need one every 50,000k).

We were in a very similar situation when looking for my partners car. We ended up spending the extra $1000 and getting an 09 fiesta.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan View Post
The Focus is great. I'd look at Mazda 3 as well, but the thing is they usually seem more expensive so just look for the best deal you can find. Having a timing chain to begin with is definitely a plus (could be like the holden viva and need one every 50,000k).

We were in a very similar situation when looking for my partners car. We ended up spending the extra $1000 and getting an 09 fiesta.
The Mazda and the Focus both use chains (thankfully).
Old 15-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
theBlake

I have had mine since new and I hate it. It costs a fortune for repairs too, most years at least $2000 for services, parts and labour.

The wife has an 07 lancer for just as long as me, and I cry everytime she gets it service, costs her almost nothing

Since I got it the pledge was always to give it to my son, after 10 years, but frankly l don't want to punish him with it.
Old 15-12-2015, 01:41 AM   #14
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlake View Post
I have had mine since new and I hate it. It costs a fortune for repairs too, most years at least $2000 for services, parts and labour.

The wife has an 07 lancer for just as long as me, and I cry everytime she gets it service, costs her almost nothing

Since I got it the pledge was always to give it to my son, after 10 years, but frankly l don't want to punish him with it.
What have you had to repair? You said that it costs you at $2000 for services, parts and labour. Is that because your mechanic (dealer???) is raping you each time you take it in or is there plenty going wrong with it?

Just asking so when someone reads this thread they are spooked for the right reasons.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also depends how many kilometres the car has done if it is over 150000 yes it will cost money.
My 08 diesel focus is cracking on 230000kms and it has 4K spent on it this year but if you keep the car too long that's what you expect.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #16
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
What have you had to repair? You said that it costs you at $2000 for services, parts and labour. Is that because your mechanic (dealer???) is raping you each time you take it in or is there plenty going wrong with it?
Dont be silly who uses a dealer.
I use the same mechanic as for my wifes car, and as said the cost difference long term is enormous. I don't remember ever replacing a part on her car.

things replaced last 4 years, include
rear shocks
front inner arm bushes
exhaust sensor
alternator
front shocks

Despite being built in South Africa its essentially a Euro market car, thus all parts are expensive. Thats what I am told anyway.

I forgot how much I had to pay for a wiper blade but I nearly flipped me lid when I was told. even Super cheap auto wasnt cheap!
Old 15-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #17
marko
Marko

Quote:

Mate they've seen you coming! Our 2010 XR5 costs under $400 for an A service and under $600 for a B service! Takes more oil and 1 extra spark plug being a 5cyl! My Focus ST is cheaper again!

Sent while boosting ....
Old 16-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:

You hate the car and you've kept it nearly 10 whole years ??
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
Rs31markie

Wiper blade refills from fords $20 for both front blades.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4cyl Mazda 6 & the focus are the same car with a different body. So mechanically there is no difference.

I have a manual 07 zetec with 160k & it has been a great car. Dad & my uncle also have one each & they have been great.

I drive mine in all conditions; city, country; dirt, snow, mud, tar & race track, it goes every where.
I even cleaned up a wombat & only had cosmetic damage, so they are pretty tough.

In the 150,000 kms only thing that has needed to be replaced apart from the consumables is the front shocks.

Some parts can be expensive, like the power steering fluid. It must be made from liquid gold or something, & I don't use cheap engine oil.

But I other than that it isn't too bad.

The wiper blades can be expensive if you buy them from ford & they convince you to buy the whole wiper blade arm.
But if you are a bit handy, you can take the end caps of the wiper & slide the good old fashioned cheaper wiper blade in the end.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #21
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all, test drove the Focus, drove really well, handled great, but what's with the key into the Ford badge on the grill to open the bonnet.
Then we test drove an SP23, bought it then and there, $500 more but galaxy's apart in finish, power' looks etc and it was a year older.
Old 18-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

The requirement to use the key to open the bonnet is something that Ford hasn't changed right from the beginning of the MKI Focus. I don't find it a hassle and mine hasn't malfunctioned at all in 12 or so years of ownership.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just so long as you remember to refit the plastic shaft from the key lock when removing the front grill!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
You hate the car and you've kept it nearly 10 whole years ??
Of course. The plan was always to keep it for 10 years. Selling it sooner would have been an extra cost to me. Plus I always hoped that surely more things won't go wrong with it. Last service only cost $320 first time in memory that nothing was busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
Mate they've seen you coming! Our 2010 XR5 costs under $400 for an A service and under $600 for a B service! Takes more oil and 1 extra spark plug being a 5cyl! My Focus ST is cheaper again!
Yeh that sounds about right for a service, perhaps mine are a bit less. It's the repairs that add up.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #25
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand that there is a significant mechanical difference between The Focus & Mazda 3 of these era (up until 2013??) - Independent Rear Suspension on the Focus.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #26
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I purchased a brand new 2007 Focus sedan for my parents. Not a bad car but very mediocre. Better cars can be purchased for similar money.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #27
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
I understand that there is a significant mechanical difference between The Focus & Mazda 3 of these era (up until 2013??) - Independent Rear Suspension on the Focus.
The Mazda 3 and the Focus of this era are almost identical cars underneath:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #28
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Control Blade rear suspension in the Focus versus 5 link Mazda set-up I believe.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #29
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Both are multi-link, designed by Ford:

Focus:

Mazda:
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post