Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Fuel type

What is the recommended fuel for 11' LW Ambiente 1.6L Focus? Fuel filler door has label that recommends 95 Ron or above and also says E10 compatible.

However, service manual says 91-98RON can be used. Just want to know who is using what, which is most suitable and best.

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
wombat66

Default Re: Fuel type

A lot of Focus's ping on 91. I would use 95.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
What is the recommended fuel for 11' LW Ambiente 1.6L Focus? Fuel filler door has label that recommends 95 Ron or above and also says E10 compatible.

However, service manual says 91-98RON can be used. Just want to know who is using what, which is most suitable and best.
Most suitable is 95 as you would assume the engine is optimised to run on that. Anything higher, and you may find a small increase in performance and economy but this will probably be cancelled by the extra cost.

Run it on 91 and you probably notice a reduction in performance but you won't kill the engine. (Run it on 91 for long enough and I think the ECU will self adjust to optimise performance??).

Running it on E10 will also be fine, but the RON is a gamble as I have seen it advertised from anything between 91 and 95 RON (and it was always meant to be 94 and touted as a replacement for regular PULP).

Your call. None will (should) do any damage, but E10 will be at the bottom of the list.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Most suitable is 95 as you would assume the engine is optimised to run on that. Anything higher, and you may find a small increase in performance and economy but this will probably be cancelled by the extra cost.

Run it on 91 and you probably notice a reduction in performance but you won't kill the engine. (Run it on 91 for long enough and I think the ECU will self adjust to optimise performance??).

Running it on E10 will also be fine, but the RON is a gamble as I have seen it advertised from anything between 91 and 95 RON (and it was always meant to be 94 and touted as a replacement for regular PULP).

Your call. None will (should) do any damage, but E10 will be at the bottom of the list.
Thanks for the info. We will stick to 95 RON
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
sysh
A few screw loose

.. yep, I'm using RON95 (can't justify paying the extra for ROM98) and it works just fine. Doesn't feel sedated at all
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The minimum octane fuel in Europe is 95. This probably says it all...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
focus36
Starter Motor

My LS ran fine on 95 octane untill i opened up inlet and exhaust, then it pinged on 95 and now needs 98 ocatane. A bit frustrating considering the price! but I do get extra performance for the better breathing (extra bit of compression)
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My petrol auto 2L used to ping in 3rd gear at anything close to WOT with 91RON. Since switching to 98 (with the occasional 95 if I can't get 98) there's been no problem. I've seen tests that show you get more mileage out of the 98 than 95 and 91 in particular, so I think it's worth the extra. Especially as you get more power and thanks from your engine along with that extra mileage.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
rand0mn00b

not sure about you but the servos around here almost always have a 4c/litre difference between 95 and 98 so I usually go with 98

however last week a 7/11 nearby had 95 for 13 cents less than 98 (131.9c/litre VS 144.9c/litre so that was a no brainer! had to double check that it wasn't E10 but that was 129.9 so I'm not sure what happened there :\
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
REDDYZ

Usually its 4c/litre difference between 95 and 98 but if you were used to 91 then its almost 15c/litre difference.