Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Next G

: Finally a win for those of us who are having to suffer the really bad service of the Next G phones.

They are now touting a blue tick phone that seems to work out here. If you are having problems with your service ring the help line on 1800 888 888. Then for personal users select option 1 & option 1 again.

It might take a bit on the phone but as a resolution I am getting 3 new Country phones + an amount put onto my account for the other phone we have, with a cancellation of the rest of the contract (for the two still on contract).

Well worth the phone call if you are stuck with the Next G service only. Apparently the Country phone (ZTE165) isnt for latte sipping cafe types but as a robust workers phone (ideal for us out here) it hits the spot. It isnt a pretty phone nor is it a multi tasking thing ..... it is actually a phone first & foremost .... about time :P

MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Yep I can vouch for the ZTE, good phone and mine has survived a few drops. I have had mine in the car kit parked next to a car with a Nokia, I had service, Nokia didnt
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

you shoud try it in a dark room . it has a flouro aura around it . and heats up your ear when you use it .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ZTE 252 is now my NextG country/farm/4WD phone. I got an 8dB gain magnetic mount antenna and patch lead from some place in Ashfield for about $50.

Seems ok, but without aerial didn't work as well in as many places than my old handheld only Hyundal HGC (yeah circa 1997) or Kyocera did on CDMA just up until they turned it off.

The 252 had some issues when first released, like my father in law's, but mine seems to be ok. Not used everyday though.
Old 30-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I will find out on Tuesday how good they really are ....... Will let you all know
Old 30-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Fantome

Mother Nature, if you want a spare ZTE 165 "country phone" you can have mine, we're only 50 kms west of you. The "rugged design" and "durable casing" has become discoloured and peeled off after only six months light use. It has been kept in a case from day one. Telstra has offered to replace it at a cost of $125 + $39.50 diagnosis charge. This matter has now been placed in the hands of the Dept. of Fair Trading. The female half of Fantome has a new Nokia 6120 which out performs it as does the LG 550 fitted to my fire service vehicle. If I didn't have to work between Gil and Broken Hill I'd be an Optus customer by now
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats suprising Fantome. We have a few locals here with them & they love them, hence me checking it all out.

Must say yours is the first Ive heard about being that bad. I would tell telstra to stick their $125+ and you want a replacement. Use the 1800 number as they are Next G specific. Not sure what it is but they seem to listen.

We have locals with the Nokia & LG550 but they dont work out here. I get great service on my Samsung A501 in Gil and anywhere there is a tower.... just not here as there was a bad placement of the tower ..... down near Dennykymine .... Good for Coolah .... bad for us :(
Old 30-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Thats rather interesting IMO... so far my LG TU550 has been awesome... we now have 3 in the family and the Bathurst SES has atleast 4 of them in 1 family... :P My parents have one out in Wee Waa and has been great for travelling even without the car kit fully installed.
Old 30-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hubby currently has a LG TU500 .... biggest bit a heapa ever known to man ....... A couple of his mates have the LG TU550 ... one shot his during target pracitce ..... we all believe it was on purpose ..... It never found any more service that our ones.

The thing for us out here is service, we dont need all the bells and whistles ,...... we just need to ring people when we want not drive 2k's to find service .... Most of our phones work well ..... when your in any other town apart from our own.

Most of our troubles are service related due to the placement of the tower .......
Old 30-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The best thing I ever did with a mobile was to change from Telstra to Vodafone.

Does Vodafone work around there?
Old 30-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish it did....... we are stuck with this telstra crap until another telco can get servie uot here.
Old 30-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Hehheh...sounds like your as happy with 'Next G' as the Farmers around here.
Old 30-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

OK - from expeience driving around the west.

1. The Generation1 ZTE ie 151 are CRAP. We got rid of 400 of them after a few months. They were replaced with the Nokia 6120 - much better unit - only fault is that you cant hard wire a booster antenna.

2. The Jasjam is a good phone but pricey and the chipsets are not really that advanced anymore.

3.Booster antenna's make a huge difference - I get reception all through the forest and from Mendooran to Sydney . (just try to get a hard wired booster rather than a passive pick up)

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
3.Booster antenna's make a huge difference - I get reception all through the forest and from Mendooran to Sydney . (just try to get a hard wired booster rather than a passive pick up)
What is the difference between the two? I have a magnetic mount antenna with a patch cable for my ZTE, and it makes a big difference to handset only, but if there is something better I could have a look at getting that too.

Cheers
Old 30-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Assuming your phone has a connection

Mine does everything else except connect to an ext antenna :
Old 30-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Assuming your phone has a connection

Mine does everything else except connect to an ext antenna :
There is a passive pick up that will cradle the phone and boost signal.

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 30-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
What is the difference between the two? I have a magnetic mount antenna with a patch cable for my ZTE, and it makes a big difference to handset only, but if there is something better I could have a look at getting that too.

Cheers
If you have a patch cable that plugs into the phone you are hard wired. a passive pick up is a cradle the phone sits in.

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 30-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
There is a passive pick up that will cradle the phone and boost signal.
Ooh quick, show me where to get one of those!
Old 30-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I had my ZTE for 3 weeks, I'm quite happy with it, never dropped out, receives in areas some other don't and battery lasts 6 days.

It's larger than many new phones but robust and fine for a tradesman, i don't need fashion accessories.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 30-05-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had mine work ZTE since November when we got over a 1000 of them .The rubber on some of them is peeling off but mine is still fine .They are very large which puts most people off and not the best looking phone .But don't get drop out too much in the country on hands free and the foxtel works great with the large screen .
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you have a patch cable that plugs into the phone you are hard wired. a passive pick up is a cradle the phone sits in.
Right, that makes sense!

Ta
Old 20-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just an update. We now have had the phones for a couple of weeks and they are great for what we need. I was hoping to use one of the three that were sent but the teenage girl who at first said before seeing them 'Im not having a brick', changed to once looking at the other 14yr old sending texts from our lounge room (an unheard of thing up till now) that she thought they looked OK & yes she would have it .........

So now I am looking for another one for myself. (Fantome, if you would like to sell yours Im interested ) Roy so you have a Jasjam ???? Is that the one your talking of as being good through the forest ??
Old 20-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

MotherNature, I honestly wouldn't bother with a JasJam, we found that they are unreliable at best and bits like to fall off them too.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #24
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up Peuty, cant say I even know what they look like but I think they are more a PDA thinggy ????? Dont really need all that stuff. I have a computer at home ....... all I really need is a phone......
Old 20-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
MotherNature, I honestly wouldn't bother with a JasJam, we found that they are unreliable at best and bits like to fall off them too.
That is a very polite way of describing the worst piece of rubbish that have ever been connected to a phone system.....

Jimjams are baaaaaadd mkay...

Trios are fairly good, Blackjacks are a bit silly but not too bad and Crackberrys should be banned.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #26
Fantome

pm sent
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #27
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Replied ty
Old 25-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #28
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

The 165s get pretty good coverage but like any other ZTE they are the daewoos of telstra's range.
Newer ones arent as bad as the first generation models but not that much better.
I honestly dont feel right selling them to customers.
Btw I work in a Telstra shop lol.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #29
Darthur
2003 BA XT Mercury Silver

ZTE's are vile. Only buy one if you can't afford a proper phone. There are plenty of other phones with the bluetick now aswell. I would reccomend any other brand over ZTE bar Sagem. They are the 2 brands to stay away from in phones.
Old 28-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
DeansXR8

telstra give these ZTE's to their technicians to use. They seem to cop a fair beating, the only phone i've had that is a ruggered is the old nokia 5110.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post