Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

Default Sick of snail trails down the bonnet (washer jets leaking)? Try this...

Since new, my car (2012 LW MkII Titanium SEP) has leaked water from the washer jets when parked - especially in warm weather.

I've never experienced this with any other car I've owned (Toyota Corolla, Holden Barina, Nissan Pulsar SSS, Ford Falcon XR6, Subary Liberty RX, VW Golf GTI, Ford Escape, VW Golf GTI, Mazda CX-7 and now the Focus) -- but apparently this is completely normal and every car does it. I think that's 'dealer speak' for "it's all too hard and we really couldn't be bothered".

Anyway, I Googled around and found that some owners in other parts of the world owners have inserted 'one way valves' into the washer fluid pipes. The idea is that the one way valve takes a small amount of pressure to open in the direction of flow, and that small amount of pressure won't be generated by expansion of the pipes (or whatever causes the dribbling).

I visited this eBay seller and bought some of these. My photo of the item:

To install them, remove the clips that hold the bonnet lining in place (just squeeze them and pull them out). With the bonnet lining removed, here's what the underside of my jets look like (heated jets!):

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

The washer fluid pipe is VERY easy to cut. Remove a section the same length as the valve, and insert the valves (with a firm push they fit into the pipe).

Here are the AFTER photos:

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Dead easy, as you can see. When completed, replace the bonnet lining and re-insert the clips. Looks like it should have been made like this!

So far, no dribbles. Will report again in a few days.

As ever, your mileage may vary, and I take no responsibility if you break your car or hurt yourself.

richardnau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sick of snail trails down the bonnet (washer jets leaking)? Try this...

I had to do this with my 2008 FG XR6. The water didn't leak anywhere, but it just drained down into the pump leaving the piping dry. The end result was the wipers would run a couple of times over the dry windscreen moving all the dust and smearing bird poo.

The valve I used must not have been the correct type because it didn't work too well and restricted the water flow.
NanoDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
markh

Default Re: Sick of snail trails down the bonnet (washer jets leaking)? Try this...

Ive noticed this for the 1st time on my Focus.

So far, its only seems to do it on the drivers side after the ritual lap around the block after washing and before Chamoising.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Slight hijack.......Ok, do any cars com out with window wipers like in trucks? Fantastic idea,water comes out in front of he wiper arm as it moves across your windshield.. If so which cars as I think I want to do a conversion
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some holdens have the water come from a the wiper arm
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
tommygun69

hey I have the same problem on my LV 09 tdci. I went to the parts page on ebay and searched my vehicle and it says it is not compatible. Should I still get them
Old 25-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
markh

you would need to check the hose size is right to fit against the one way valve.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post