Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gremlins

Thought I'd give the forums a go before I go hunting for some strange electrical issue.
So the faults are, when the brake is applied the parkers come on, also when the car is running and the headlights are on and brakes applied, if you turn the key to off the car continues to run until either the brakes are released or the headlights are turned off.
Anyone else had this or a similar issue?

StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
husky510

Is your car's name "Christine"!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Do you have trailer plug wiring?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Do you have trailer plug wiring?
I did but I removed it all, I'll start by looking there incase something is shorting. If the brake and parker wires are shorting that would explain problem one, but the car continuing to run while brakes and headlights are on has got me wondering. Hopefully all due to the one short.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

You have an earthing issue, the brake lights and parkers come on together cause it's pulling earth thru the parkers. just start going around putting some extra earths on, start with battery to car and then battery to engine and go from there, after that go down back of car and add one to the earth point for tailiights to the body.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, was just looking in the boot, there isn't a short where the trailer wires were connected. While I was there I notice an amp had vibrated a bit loose so I got the screw driver out and tightened it up, while doing so the car locked it self, has me wondering could the other issues be a fault with the BEM?
Old 13-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Or did you just unlock the car without opening the doors so therefore it did its auto relock thing it does?

As for bem causing these issues, very slight possibilty, but as i said before, its a known earthing issue that causes the symptoms your talking about.
Old 13-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

The only common thing i can think of is to do with the Ignition line itself... and whats connected to it...
Old 15-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so the other day I made up a few jumper leads for earths, did not fix the issues.
After a bit of thought I have come to the conclusion it must be the BCM as this is the only common point for all 3 - brake lights parkers and ignition. Will book it into ford next week for a new onw unless someone can suggest a fix, which I don't think exists.
Old 15-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try pulling the BEM fuse no10 out ( fuse box inside car) for 5mins and see if its makes any differance.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers, will try now
Old 15-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gave it a go, no joy. I started pulling the boot to bits and found the problem to be in the drivers side tail light, I don't know what the issue is yet but with the pasanger side tail light disconected the faults are still there, with only the drivers side tail disconnected it disapears. Might just be a bit of crap on the lamp holder, I just don't understand how a short with the brake lights and parkers can give power to the ignition. Whoops I think I just gave a tip away to anyone looking to pinch an AU
Old 15-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

could be slight corrosion in contacts is causing earthing issue...been known to happen, weird how it effects engine run on though....thast got me completly stumped

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
could be slight corrosion in contacts is causing earthing issue...been known to happen, weird how it effects engine run on though....thast got me completly stumped
yeah, it isn't run on as such, with the car turned off, key out of the ignition, turn the parkers on and foot on the brake pedal results in the ignition turning on. Not the car starting, just the same result as turning the key to on, fuel pump, s/c cooling motor, warning lights and so forth come one
Old 16-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats what i was talking about with earthing issue, i believe what happens is the earth point at the tail light also supplies earth to other parts of the car, therefore when its missing or not good enough it pulls power from other sections switching odd things like the ignition on, the thing is i know about it, but i don't know what wire exactly or anything it is, i just know that there is an earthing issue to do with the tail lights that causes this type of issue, and it happens on nearly every car/make out there, just that it causes different symptoms in different cars.

ever noticed a commodore driving around with an indicator that lights up when they brake?
Old 16-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
... found the problem to be in the drivers side tail light, I don't know what the issue is yet but with the pasanger side tail light disconected the faults are still there, with only the drivers side tail disconnected it disapears. ............
Surely the issue is with passenger side then, not drivers side.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #17
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Surely the issue is with passenger side then, not drivers side.
Can you explain your logic? With the drivers side disconnected the fault disapears, how would that lead you think the issue is with the passanger side?

Either way I found the issue, the two filaments in the brake/tail lamp globe were touching.
Old 22-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

In the globe itself.... who would have thunk it... good to know you found it...
Old 22-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky510
Is your car's name "Christine"!!!

and "You keep a knockin' ... but ya cant come in" plays on the radio at full bore. muhahahaha

on a serious note, thats some nasty stuff amigo good luck.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post