Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-04-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
BlackLS

Default Stalling

I've got a stalling problem which I'll bring up next service.

But it happens in 2 places:

1. When starting the car cold or hot, It'll start and run for a second then the revs will die enough to stall.
2. When the car is parked on a slope, its almost impossible to start the car normally. You'd normally have to prime the pump about 10 times. This happens with less 3/4 in the tank..

Anyone experience these problems? I'm running 95 octane fuel btw

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Forest Bear

Number 1. Happened to me once last week. It starts then the tacho drops, engine shudders. Poke the throttle and it should get back to its feet.

Also stalled whilst in cruise control doing 60km. This was around 5k on the odo. Was cruising then the engine starts to shutter badly, the revs went down and the LCD status said something like "reduce speed mode". SOme kind of limp home mode. Stopped the start and turned everything off. Start it again. Fine.

Both haven't occured since.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Mil
Starter Motor

I had the same problem about 3 times, but nothing since for a while now.

a thread has been going about starting problems.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37189

When I got the start problem the LCD display showed some engine error, but I can't remember what it was now.

I'm not sure If I'll bring it up as it has not happened for a while and could be hard to prove.
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sounds like you may have Throttle Position Sensor issues, a fouled or defective Throttle Position Sensor. Hopefully Dealer test should be able to pick this up but a description from you might help.
Short of the TPS, I'm guessing it may be fuel pump issues.

I had a similar issue at 100 on cruise control on a vehicle with an electronic throttle like a Focus. Went into limp home mode but then fixed itself, kinda on again off again.
Old 14-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Hence why the Mazda engine probably uses the more simple.. problem free cable throttle.

I had a couple issues with my fly by wire throttle (04' Fiesta) when it was brand new.
Stalling, revs would die and car would splutter a little bit when reversing, that sorta thing.
I took it to ford for the complimentary service and they uploaded all the new software. Never had a problem since, have 20,000 km on the car now.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Hence why the Mazda engine probably uses the more simple.. problem free cable throttle.

I had a couple issues with my fly by wire throttle (04' Fiesta) when it was brand new.
Stalling, revs would die and car would splutter a little bit when reversing, that sorta thing.
I took it to ford for the complimentary service and they uploaded all the new software. Never had a problem since, have 20,000 km on the car now.
Cept when cables get worn and frayed... Hello jammed throttle cable!!! Jkz, just had a bad experience a few years back, switched off the car before any damage.

Is there any chance that the computer "learns" how you drive and adjusts the throttle responce accordingly? I drove another Focus manual thats always driven VERY sedatly, and 3/4 throttle on theres feels like 1/4 on mine. At WOT there line in line in acceleration though.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post