Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus ST/XR5T v Astra VXR - Fifth Gear

I havnt yet seen this episode, as at right now, it hasnt been released.
But given the Astra is their "Prize" car for this week, as the shootout winner (Which is Generally given to the FASTEST, not always the best package) Its not looking good. Will review further when I have seen this episode, will give further information.
Just bear in mind, this link will have a full test in coming days, currently is still showing the preview.

Focus ST/XR5T v Astra VXR

Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Here is a thread discussing the episode, if you want a preview of what happens:

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/inde...showtopic=1959

For those who know where to look, the episode should be available tomorrow.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Dunno why they'd stress... From an Aussie point of view, for the likely price difference b/w the XR5 and the VXR here you could get the Bluefin, intercooler, suspension mods....and end up with an all round better, quicker track package if thats your thing.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Yep totally agree, the VXR was always going to be a slightly quicker track racer (it is a very quick car), but the fact that it hasn't even come close to beating the ST/XR5 in any of the hot hatch comparos, shows that it is probably a 'one trick pony' and that the Focus is a much better all round package.
Old 25-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
marcosambrose

The VXR has the faster acceleration, that is it, it suffers from terrible tourqe steer ad is much slower around the nurburgring than the ST.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
The VXR has the faster acceleration, that is it, it suffers from terrible tourqe steer ad is much slower around the nurburgring than the ST.
Do you have the numbers to back up this statement? I'm not challenging your claim, I would just like to see the lap times for both cars ;)
Old 25-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best Hot Hatchbacks - UK

Think that makes it pretty clear ;)
Old 26-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There's no doubt it's the day of the Hot Hatch again, this time the Turbo one. VXR, GTi, Megane or XR5, there's a number of damn good contenders for that garage spot!! But VXR is consistently getting beaten in every comparo, it's the only consistent result, the winners are usually b/w Golf and XR5/ST with Megane floating around there.
Old 26-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
lincoln
Blinded

I saw this on Monday night. It was funny how Tiff drove it one handed. Although, I think Fifth Gear and Top Gear put a bit too much emphasis on track performance. A more apt test for a hot hatch would be done a B road, or like the story that Tiff did with the new Boxster down the Cat and Fiddle run. That's much more useful for cars that are designed for the road.

Must say though, the VXR is an amusing car. It's just so ostentatious! It isn't my cup of tea, but I still admire it for being out there and different. There's no point in making another hot hatch that is compliant and handles fantastically, when Ford and VW have pretty much got that sorted it out. Props to Vauxhall, I say!
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Yeah I watched it last night too (you gotta love bit torrent!) and it was only 0.6 secs difference in the lap times, and as Tiff said, that was down to the extra power of the VXR. If you listen to his comments on both cars and read between the lines, he definitely likes the Focus more than the Astra. I’m not bagging the VXR, in fact I quite like it, but it aint the all round package that the focus is.

Speaking of B road tests, here are the results of the ‘B-Road Baftas’ conducted by auto car a while back. Talk about ‘fighting well out of your weight division’ – look at the competition that the humble ST stuck it to.

1st - Porsche Cayman S
2nd - Lotus Exige S
3rd - Ford Focus ST
4th - Audi RS4
5th - Mazda MX-5
6th - Renault Megane RS225
7th - Lamborghini Gallardo
8th - Caterham CSR260...
Old 27-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Yeah I watched it last night too (you gotta love bit torrent!) and it was only 0.6 secs difference in the lap times, and as Tiff said, that was down to the extra power of the VXR. If you listen to his comments on both cars and read between the lines, he definitely likes the Focus more than the Astra. I’m not bagging the VXR, in fact I quite like it, but it aint the all round package that the focus is.

Speaking of B road tests, here are the results of the ‘B-Road Baftas’ conducted by auto car a while back. Talk about ‘fighting well out of your weight division’ – look at the competition that the humble ST stuck it to.

1st - Porsche Cayman S
2nd - Lotus Exige S
3rd - Ford Focus ST
4th - Audi RS4
5th - Mazda MX-5
6th - Renault Megane RS225
7th - Lamborghini Gallardo
8th - Caterham CSR260...
Talk about the Humble ST... think of a N/A Mazda Mx5 keeping up with RS4!!!

Thats an awesoem result for both the ST and the MX5!

Do you have the link to that test?
Old 27-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Link here...

http://www.carpages.co.uk/porsche/po...n-24-03-06.asp

The video of the event can be found on this page, in the right panel "The B-Road Baftas, Part 1 / 2"
http://www.autocar.co.uk/movies.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Talk about the Humble ST... think of a N/A Mazda Mx5 keeping up with RS4!!!

Thats an awesoem result for both the ST and the MX5!
I think you'll find that the results are not rated in performance - I would pay good money to see an MX5 that is quicker than a Gallardo!
Old 28-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Nappa
Impressive...

for those who missed the show you can see the vid here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-0PLc122L...h=fifth%20gear

i prefer Top Gear over fifth gear, tiff is a great driver but i find their quick burst around the track a bit lacking in the other aspects of the car such as features and everyday driving.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
lincoln
Blinded

Yeah, the MX5 is funny. Almost every other journalist source, except EVO think it's great. But EVO have done some fairly extensive tests of it now and still don't think it's that good. The base 1.8 is scary even.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post