Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Hell Cat

Default surgery advice

hi
im booked in for a minor op 9/8/12 & I am SHIDDING MYSELF just thinking about it.

i hate needles, blood, knives & hospitals, I have been stressing thinking about it & have thrown up every day this past week from the stress of it.

i will need full anestetic, theyre going to give me valium on the day to calm me down but I have a feeling im going to be freaking out still, the moment they come near me with the needle i will loose it!!
(i had valium a couple of months ago & it barely had any affect on me)

any advice?
can anybody tell me how it feels to be put under anestetic, ive been told your whole arm goes cold & your vision goes blurry then youre out of it.... & you usually vomit when you wake up?

I know i need to MAN UP but i am a wimp when it comes to this stuff

thanks

Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Default Re: surgery advice

When you get put under gas they'll put the mask on you and have you count back from 5. You'll be asleep before you get to 3.

You don't vomit when you wake up. Just don't eat for at least a few hours, preferably 12, before going in for surgery as you may throw up while under the anesthetic (with the mask on).

Source: Had a number of surgical operations performed on me including ear grommets and two operations to repair my ankle after being hit by a 4wd.

Its really not that bad man, don't worry yourself.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 22-07-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention eating before surgery
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Pfft. each to their own. better to be out of it than feeling the pain. What kind of surgery?
Old 22-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think happy thoughts. I too, have had some sinus surgery a few years back, yeah, it was a case of, this needs doing for me. All will be well, the people looking after you are the best mechanics around.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

as mwtb suggested, they don't give you a needle to knock you out
you get a mask over your mouth and nose and you are out of it within seconds

it is scary, but in reality you are having an operation to get better. once you have recovered, you will feel much better

just breathe deep (from now until after the operation) and try and keep the nerves under control. you will come out of it fine, and that is important to focus on - not worrying about what you cannot control
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

the more you think about it.. the more you will stress.. the worst part apparently is when your in recovery and you feel like you wanna spew...
hasnt happened to me yet though.. the main thing is focus.. if your focused on the needle and all things that scare/stress you.. then you will be scared/stressed etc..
Ive had my shoulder operated on twice.. and MWTB is correct.. you will be flat out reaching 3.. all I remember of my last op was the Dr playing jimi hendrix while he prepped ... I told him he had awesome taste in music and one of nurses said be thankful he aint listening to simon and garfunkel.. I began my count... then woke up while being wheeled into recovery..
I was like you have described yourself once.. but now I can sit ther and watch them put the needle in and draw the blood etc..but Im thinking about something I enjoy as I watch..
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi there, first thing is dont smoke straight after the operation or you will be having a ralph (spew)lol- i know all about that one doh! Talk to the first person who is looking after you and tell them you're feeling really anxious and they will have chat to the anastethist.

Do some breathing exercises everytime you feel suspect - try to distract you're thoughts somehow. When the anastethist injects the stuff into the thingy they've put into you're vein he'll ask how you are and by the time you respond you'll be asleep. Just dont watch what they're doing. Yes only slightly warm feelin going up the arm but you'll be asleep very soon anyway.They are pro's & they will look after you. Hope it all goes well mate.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 22-07-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

As others have said you are out before you realise. Next second your waking in recovery. That's what my knee op felt like for me. Some people react differently and can be groggy but I was up and eating within probably 20 mins of waking.
Old 22-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
As others have said you are out before you realise. Next second your waking in recovery. That's what my knee op felt like for me. Some people react differently and can be groggy but I was up and eating within probably 20 mins of waking.
Agreed. I woke up about 20 minutes after they took me into recovery. I kept falling asleep for about an hour though, apparently. And my family reckon I spoke to them and said things that I don't remember. It's a better buzz than anything I've ever taken, I'll tell you that much

Seriously, its not that bad mate. The smell is the worst part. That sterile, anesthetic smell. The rest is pretty alright. You'll be psyching yourself out heaps, but once the day comes you'll kick yourself for building it up so much.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

only had full anestetic once , about 6 years ago for some test , and have to do it again this tuesday.

last time they got me to lay on the bed and the nurse gave me the needle. only felt the tinyest of a ***** ( hardly even noticable) and she said i would soon start to feel sleepy.
i was laying there waiting to get sleepy and the nurse asked if i was awake. ok, time to get up and get dressed. it was all over and i was still waiting for it to start. within a couple of minutes i was wide awake and ready to go home. no strange effects. just like waking up after a good nights sleep.

i would not worry too much mate. they know what their doing and you will feel better once the job is done.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I've had quite a few, and the only issue I have afterwards is that I'm a little loopy. No vomiting, no sickness, just the head isn't quite right. They've all been needles in the back of my hand, and it's only a tiny little pinch as it goes in. Anaesthetists are some of the most gentle people I've come across for administering needles, and if you really don't like needles, you should be able to ask for a numbing gel that they can put over the vein, similar to a local without the needle - you won't even feel it go in.

They'll make you fast beforehand, and no smoking either (if you do). I really don't like needles either, I found the easiest way is not to look at them, or think about them as they're doing it - whatever you can preoccupy your mind with is a good option. Think about your favourite cars, replay your favourite race in your head, whatever it takes. It really does help.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Just a tip, don't load up on any other recreational drugs or calmatives before you go under and if you do PLEASE let the theater nurse or anethetist know beforehand.

Think of another place you'd like to be and use your breathing to calm yourself down.

As others have mentioned, the staff are there to help you get better.

Old 23-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Don't sweat it mate, I've only "been under" once and it was like a switch being flicked. One minute they were putting the shunt in my hand and the mask on your face, the next minute I was waking up in recovery! Was a bit groggy afterwards but that only lasted a few hours. It was for wisdom teeth removal.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My 3yo just went through it .... I think as parents we were more worried about it than he was.

He was a champ ... took it all in his stride. We asked if he remembered anything before the "sleep" ... he said he didn't ... he was a little groggy after it though but picked up and was his normal self in the evening (a couple of hours later).

I have never had to be aneathetised (sp?) myself ... it's really not that big a deal after seeing my son go through it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
as mwtb suggested, they don't give you a needle to knock you out
you get a mask over your mouth and nose and you are out of it within seconds
I think this depends on the surgery. With me the mask was for Oxygen it was the needle that put, and kept, me out.
Old 23-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
bingoTE50
Steve

Been under four times so far. Only once got a bit crook after surgery , nauseousness kicked in , a quick ralph and I come good. It might have been a bit of shock ,had a tendon reattached in my wedding finger.
Had a broken ankle , arm ,the finger re-done - got to love sport, gall bladder removed . All good fun ...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Going under you won't even know. Coming out I don't like most of the time, as I come out groggy and not with it for a few minutes, I don't take drugs and this is part of the reason why I can't stand not feeling with it and in control.
Have been under must be close to ten times now. Sometimes for a couple of hours at a time. Is no big deal. I do avoid it when I can, I had some hand surgey, mainly tendon work that they were going to put me under for but I talked them out of it and stayed awake for that one, they did it under locals, I was talking to the surgeon while I could feel him pulling and attaching tendons etc. was a bit freaky but a bit cool too :-)
Old 23-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat
ive been told your whole arm goes cold & your vision goes blurry then youre out of it.... & you usually vomit when you wake up?
This is a crock and is far from normal. YOu might feel a bit ill when you come out of it, that is par for the course but is gone in 20 minutes or so. You won't even realise you are going under.
Old 23-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its your dick theyre going to operate on then oh damn mate watch out.

cute nurses handle the mouse then thump it with a needle
Old 23-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Mate, I've gone under the knife about 14 times - bad motorcycle accident. Getting knocked out is darn painless, and is described well above - I find it rather pleasant. I've found they usually put the drip in when you're under and out. As far as needles go - I'm with you. It's the intramuscular ones that hurt worse. I've always found that if they're give you a relaxant shot, it's a subcutaneous (under the skin) and in the tummy area - mozzie bites hurt worse. I'm an insulin dependant diabetic and give myself 6 jabs a day - too easy! Needles are a hell of a lot finer and sharper these days too. You'll be alright mate, when you come out the other side, you'll wonder what you were worrying about. Good luck with the op mate!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an accident prowned old fool I've had a few. mate dont work your self up it really is nothing to worry about, yea you feel cold as they put it in but after that nothing.

I personly have never vomited on waking up, or felt dodgy, and I'm a sympothetic vomitor (I only have to hear some one yacking and I start dry reaching) so dont let your self get too worked up. It'll be over before you know it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Turboconvert

same herte pretty much. Had an accident on my finger just over 3 months ago and they had to take the tip off. Afternoon surgery, at about 5 in the arvo. Was given a tablet in pre op, some nebuliser (asthmatic here) for safety reasons and when I was on the table i remember laughing with the nurses and doctor and what not, the mask coming on, and before I knew it I was waking up in my room and it was dinner time. Absolutly starving but very sleepy.

I was in and out of sleep for the next 24hrs. Not once was I physically sick or felt sick. For me the worst part was the dropping in and out of sleep and wondering about precise details when you were awake.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i just had back surgery 2 weeks ago and the whole thing was a breeze.
i hate needles to but its all good just look away
when they knock you out its so quick, vision was blurry for a second or 2 then i woke up 2 hours later in my room
never got sick its all good mate
you will be right mate no problems
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hi
im booked in for a minor op 9/8/12 & I am SHIDDING MYSELF just thinking about it.

i hate needles, blood, knives & hospitals, I have been stressing thinking about it & have thrown up every day this past week from the stress of it.

i will need full anestetic, theyre going to give me valium on the day to calm me down but I have a feeling im going to be freaking out still, the moment they come near me with the needle i will loose it!!

any advice?
can anybody tell me how it feels to be put under anestetic, ive been told your whole arm goes cold & your vision goes blurry then youre out of it.... & you usually vomit when you wake up?

thanks
I have had about 10 ops (all minor one major, only because of the time I was under 6.5 hours)

My advice talk to the experts (your surgeon, antithesis) about your fears. You can have a pre med if you want which will keep you calm (I have only had one) basically you just get wheeled in they move you on too the operating table, they will jab a needle in the back of your wrist (this is a bit unpleasant as it is a reasonable size needle) Then yes I can feel something move up my arm (my vision doesn't go blurry but you do feel really tired really fast) I do get sick after ops, so now I tell the nurses, they administer something before I wake up and now I am fine. Some people do get sick some people don't get sick (I do get sick)

My longest op was 6.5 hours (broken jaw) Different people react differently, the thing I do is do something special for yourself after you have recovered (I would take a holiday and look forward to that if I was in pain etc) I avoid pain killers.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 23-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am an old pro at being put under. Sometimes I have had the mask, and it is usually o.k, but it leaves a horrid taste in the mouth, then other times the needle. I prefer the needle and to be honest on my last op, I heard the intern ask to do the anesthetic and thaat was it lol. Unfortunately I am one of those who do vomit after a general, be it gas or injection. You will probably feel sleepy for a little while afterwards, but couple of hours and you should feel fine.

Don't stress too much about it mate, you will be fine, the docs do this all the time. However I understand your stress. I still get nervous before an op, but I have just learned to put on a brave face for my family, so I often think about funny jokes, or even joke about the situation.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Been out once for wisdom teeth (only cause I hated the thought of needles in my mouth). Nurse asked me how was I feeling and I apparently said the roof was red, then gone.

My son also went under about 4 months ago for his broken leg and THAT was the single hardest thing I watched ever. He shook violently and was crying and then it took over (only cause he was sleeping before he went in)
Old 23-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think this depends on the surgery. With me the mask was for Oxygen it was the needle that put, and kept, me out.

Correct. The mask is for air though, not pure oxygen.

It depends on the duration of the op what they use as the anaesthetic. 20 - 30 minutes will be midazolam or propofol, longer could be fentanyl or remifentanyl. It puts you out cold in a matter of seconds when it's injected in to the cannula in the back of your hand. The insertion of the the cannula into the back of your hand is the worst part of the op, and the most painful, which is to say, bugger all.

The do not put you out with a mask in the 21st century. That was for dentists in the early 19th. Too many TV shows you lot.

Don't worry about the knives and the blood. You will be well and truly out of it before you see any of that stuff. No ,matter how hard you fight to stay awake, you can't.

I've been under three times in the last three years - once for a skin graft on my foot after a motorbike crash, once for a vasectomy and once for a collarbone op after a motorbike crash. I woke up fine after all of them, with an air mask on my face and happy enough. You may feel nauseous depending on the anaesthetic used, but there are medications the anaesthetist can give you to stave off that (they sometimes give you the medication before you wake).

Good luck. It's nothing to worry about.
Old 23-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had 8 now and don't mind at all. In fact I find anesthesia fascinating. How does it work? It makes you unconscious but what is consciousness in the first place? How do they take away something that is so hard to define? I watch the needle go in every time, and yes I hate needles. Then I try to force myself to remember what happens and how long it takes. About 2-3 seconds at most. That’s the easy bit. Waking up to dry mouth and varying degrees of pain is the tough bit BUT pain management is so much better these days. All in all don’t sweat it and don’t be shy about asking for help, that’s their job. Good luck.
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cannular they use to administer anaesthetic is no big deal, they're relatively fine. Don't stress about the op, you go in, they put the cannular in, hook up to that and inject the anaesthetic. Count backwards from 10 and you'll be out before you're done. Next thing you know, you wake up and it is over. They may ask what level of pain you're in to gauge whether you need more pain relief.

As you said, it is a minor op - it may be a major event for you, but it will be a walk in the park for the doctors as they've likely dealt with much worse. Keeping as relaxed as you can will help with your blood pressure and stuff - which makes it easier for the doctor.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
hi

any advice?

thanks

hey mate , dont worry about it . i felt the same when i had surgury , we all feel that way . its ok to go in shyting yourself , it makes no difference to the surgury or aneathetist . when your under everything like your pulse and bp , return to normal , even though they can be off the dial due to panic as your going under , it's all ok and makes no difference if your calm or panicing .
it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to go to sleep , you dont feel anything , you dont even know your going out , i did feel like i was goig to vomit though as i was going under , i tried to vomit , but they just said dont and pushed the mask back on , the whole thing passed in about 3 seconds and then i woke up telling the nurse i love her .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post