Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gough Whitlam dead - Australian history

I have just read that Gough Whitlam has died at the age of 98. This is not a political statement but I thought I would share my small part of history with you.

In 1975 I was a 17y/0 working in the Commonwealth Public Service in Canberra as a Departmental Courier. I had the mail run and the deliveries to / from Parliament House. One day in November I had an urgent delivery to the Minister's Office. Drove to Parliament House, parked out the front as usual and proceeded to enter via the security entrance under the front stairs. Once I was inside, what should have been a 10 minute turnaround was about an hour and a half. Something big was happening but no one was talking. Once I had the response I went to walk out the front doors only to find a lot of people milling around. I eventually got back to my car (1974 Passat Station Wagon) only to be stuck there as a lot of people had gathered.

On the 11th November 1975, Malcolm Fraser (opposition leader) went to see the Governor General, Sir John Kerr to ask him to sack the government of the day as he had the numbers to Govern in his own right. Sir John obliged and David Smith stood on the steps of the old Parliament House and announced what had just happened. He ended the reading of the declaration with "God save the Queen".

Then Gough uttered his famous words, "Well may he say God save the Queen, for nothing ... will save the Governor General".

So it was a young 17y/o got to see a piece of Australian History. I have to say Gough was an extremely powerful figure standing there .

RIP Mr Whitlam.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gough Whitlam dead - Australian history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
He was a blight on Australia's political landscape.
As i stated in the beginning, this is not a political statement !!

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98.....not a bad innings.......large, powerful man.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
6 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post

Cheers Vincenzo
How can you discuss a former prime minister and not involve politics?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 21-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Easy, I was merely stating / announcing his death which I had just read about and the small part of Australian history I got to see happen live, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want a political discussion PM me!

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He was a person first, a leader second and a Labour politician third.
talk about the first two, That's how

JP
Old 21-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

Cheers Vincenzo
Oh I see, it's ok for you to have an opinion...

Fact: His government (actually him - because it was always about him) got the worst election result ever

That my friend may offer you a clue as to how the vast majority of people's opinion were about him - the majority could not stand another nanosecond of him as PM. Heck voting for Malcolm Fraser was seen as a better option than Whitlam!

Let the rewriting of history begin...
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just thought I may share my small part of history with you to.
I remember how bad it was with Aussie business's going down the drain everywhere is what I seen, we were in a state of shock. seeing a santa claws run loose with the payment of it all down the track left to us to foot the bill.

Sure he had some good idea's but as some were borrowed from other nations that it all had failed badly with that rot before.

The average Aussie did not have the brains to know what it was he was up to as they thought it was Christmas.

It was the start of the cancer in our nations history of two extreme left and right wing idiot madness of the ALP and Libs. both are Vampires !
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Oh I see, it's ok for you to have an opinion...

Fact: His government (actually him - because it was always about him) got the worst election result ever

That my friend may offer you a clue as to how the vast majority of people's opinion were about him - the majority could not stand another nanosecond of him as PM. Heck voting for Malcolm Fraser was seen as a better option than Whitlam!

Let the rewriting of history begin...
As usual, your on cue........
RIP Gough.....................
6 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Stating facts, what's the problem?
To be fair fella!
Some people looked up to Gough, respected and admired the man. Maybe not all and some maybe with rose tinted glasses but he has just died. They are remembering one of their heroes and the tone of your posts are negative.
He was a man who lead the country for better or worse, he stood up and was counted and history will remember him.
Too soon after the announcement of his death to be laying the boot in for cheap political mileage.
Respect for a fellow Australian who has passed isn't much to ask

JP
Old 21-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh, no problem, can the thread be locked and a condolences thread be started. I'm of the opinion the OP was nothing but political admiration content.
Far from it my friend. I was merely letting people know of his death and the small part of history I got to see live.

As i stated previously, if you want a political discussion PM me.

Asking for a thread to be locked because you are losing the argument is a bit rich !!

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Gough Whitlam was a significant figure in our history. Whatever your political persuasion, love him or hate him he will never be forgotten.

I was still a kid when he was in power then dismissed. My view of him was, and will always be painted by being in a conservative rural electorate from a farming family. My political persuasion is conservative but he did do some good things. Perhaps he was ahead of his time??

The fact that he and Malcolm Fraser became such good friends after being bitter enemies just shows how much common ground the two found in each other over time. In any case there will never be another Gough Whitlam. RIP.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 21-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Oh, no problem, can the thread be locked and a condolences thread be started. I'm of the opinion the OP was nothing but political admiration content.
You Sir, are a grub. Pure and simple
7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Like him or Loathe him , he was a massive part in Australia's history.
I knew he had done a lot of stuff , some controversial but it wasn't until today that I realised just how much he had a hand in.
For people to sit there and bag the crap out of him , make sure you have not previously used and never plan to use any of the things he got up off the ground , a lot of which is still around today.
7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
superyob
Banned

Quote:
I have just read that Gough Whitlam has died at the age of 98. This is not a political statement but I thought I would share my small part of history with you.

In 1975 I was a 17y/0 working in the Commonwealth Public Service in Canberra as a Departmental Courier. I had the mail run and the deliveries to / from Parliament House. One day in November I had an urgent delivery to the Minister's Office. Drove to Parliament House, parked out the front as usual and proceeded to enter via the security entrance under the front stairs. Once I was inside, what should have been a 10 minute turnaround was about an hour and a half. Something big was happening but no one was talking. Once I had the response I went to walk out the front doors only to find a lot of people milling around. I eventually got back to my car (1974 Passat Station Wagon) only to be stuck there as a lot of people had gathered.

On the 11th November 1975, Malcolm Fraser (opposition leader) went to see the Governor General, Sir John Kerr to ask him to sack the government of the day as he had the numbers to Govern in his own right. Sir John obliged and David Smith stood on the steps of the old Parliament House and announced what had just happened. He ended the reading of the declaration with "God save the Queen".

Then Gough uttered his famous words, "Well may he say God save the Queen, for nothing ... will save the Governor General".

So it was a young 17y/o got to see a piece of Australian History. I have to say Gough was an extremely powerful figure standing there .

RIP Mr Whitlam.

Cheers Vincenzo
This is simply a recount of an historical event. I fail to see how certain posters find this political...
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP Gough, thankyou for JJ.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Laughing at the truth, cos Gough was tough til he hit the rough
Uncle Sam and John were quite enough

Too much of sunshine too much of sky
It's just enough to make you want to cry

Oh the power and the passion, oh the temper of the time
Oh the power and the passion
Sometimes you've got to take the hardest line......

RIP Gough.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Before my time for voting as I was born in 1966, but I believe he did much for Australia.

Got a Medicare card? Still here today.

Free university education for the masses who wished to take it on - gone now, but many have benefited from it. Some of our greatest professionals benefit and contribute to our society today.

Indigenous land rights and respect for the indigenous folk was forwarded from Mr Whitlam in the early 70's.

I was only a kid when Mr Whitlam got to be in power. Anything else I could add would only be considered political.

On both sides of politics there's been many great leaders/parties that have done great things for Australia - let's leave it at that. Aussie democracy works - it just cycles!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #19
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Post 13 sums it up.
some off you need or look for any little and I mean little thing to stuff up other members threads.
Post your thoughts and move on, and show some respect to the family keep it civil or you will be locked out.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
5 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #20
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Malcom Fraser just said on the Project that Gough had "an indigestion of ideas" when he came to power. Meaning he had so many great ideas but tried to push them thru all at once.........
A lot of respect for each other, Malcom and Gough, and both have done a lot of unrecognized work for their country after politics.................
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.

- George Orwell

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto

Last edited by Syndrome; 21-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
So the rewriting of history has commenced. All who post here must praise the deceased PM. His flaws and fallings must be glossed over.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
Posts in the bar on AFF=historical documents
Old 21-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

FFS, Some people just. do. not. get. it.

-Bloke is reminded of personal experience with the recently deceased, makes a thread.
-Knobs turn thread into Blown-out barely related philosophical-political BS
-People get upset over essentially nothing
-Thread gets closed
-Similar thread pops up in future
-Rinse & repeat
7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Condolences & best wishes to the Whitlam family, Gough will never be forgotten by many here in Australia & oversea's. Rightly so - he was an outstanding human being on so many levels. RIP Gough in heaven with Margaret.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

politicians impact on all our lives. Some more than others. Gough was a more politician for sure. Now wether that was a good or bad thing depends on how you try to live your life.
For me in general I assume the worst from politicians, it kind of goes with the job. Gough changed things and in a small country like Australia that impacts more loudly than in a large country. But being 18 at the time I reckon and being that close would be something you would always remember, which is why the post was made. So thanks for sharing a personal memory part out our recent history. It made an interesting read and made me think of days gone by.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #26
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

And PS sorry re the typo's.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 21-10-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #27
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May the last of the "true believers" rest in peace
your name lives on in my son Andrew John Gough
sadness all round
I lost another hero
John
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #28
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Laughing at the truth, cos Gough was tough til he hit the rough
Uncle Sam and John were quite enough

Too much of sunshine too much of sky

Oh the power and the passion, oh the temper of the time
Oh the power and the passion
Sometimes you've got to take the hardest line......

RIP Gough.
And approve an Uranium Mine
Old 21-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
zilo
BANNED

He lived longer than 99 percent of the contributors of this thread will...
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

98 is a good run, I was born many years later and I didn't exist back in the 1970s (my parents did though).

To me I can't understand why he is hated? Medicare, equal pay for women, no university fees?

Whats there not to like about that?

I might not have existed back in the 1970s but I have a Medicare card in my wallet.
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread