Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
mitch

Default FG cues on BMW 5

I know this is a bit left field everyone, but can anyone else see the cues on the right hand flank of this beemer?

Flared arch over rear wheel, swage line running length of car into the front wheel arch that has the same prominence as FGs wheel arch, same shape A pillar though the beemers looks a bit thicker inside, even down to the same shape wing mirror.

The reason i bring this up is because in my opinion this is validation that Ford Aus has hit a less aging design (compared to the VE commodore) which bodes well for this gen Falcon.

I know lots of cars have similar designs but for a so called premium brand such as BMW to have a similar side look as the FG i think our fellow aussie engineers might have to take it as a small compliment

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
I know this is a bit left field everyone, but can anyone else see the cues on the right hand flank of this beemer?

Flared arch over rear wheel, swage line running length of car into the front wheel arch that has the same prominence as FGs wheel arch, same shape A pillar though the beemers looks a bit thicker inside, even down to the same shape wing mirror.

The reason i bring this up is because in my opinion this is validation that Ford Aus has hit a less aging design (compared to the VE commodore) which bodes well for this gen Falcon.

I know lots of cars have similar designs but for a so called premium brand such as BMW to have a similar side look as the FG i think our fellow aussie engineers might have to take it as a small compliment
As much as I agree with you there, compare the FG to the previous 5-series...

EDIT: Oh, and if the next Falc' takes on the current 5-series - I'm VERY happy!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
MexicanBatman
Banned

the main thing i wish the FG has that the beemer has is xennon lights so i can see in the dark (the highbeams are fantastic though, the low beam is balls)

and the fat **** tyres on the M, 245's dont cut it anymore.... try driving a G6Et with dsc off and booting it from a corner etc.... it never stops spinning, 1-2-3 bloody stupid... lsd will help but then when im pushing 300rwkw after mods it'll be the same..... so i want bigger rubber

other than them 2 things i think the current falcons are great

heated seat option would be nice too, as would massage feature, folding mirrors (electric) and where do i stop.... although i have a $50k car so i suppose i cant complain if it had everything it'd be 100k value
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
As much as I agree with you there, compare the FG to the previous 5-series...

EDIT: Oh, and if the next Falc' takes on the current 5-series - I'm VERY happy!
The first time we were shown the FG about a year before its release the first thing I thought was that it took design cues from the then current 5 series, so I totally agree with you.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

i just want the aussie engineers to start copying the euro designers when it comes to ride height!! why do aussie cars need such a large gap between the tyre and guard?

is this the designer/engineers fault, or are they governed by the silly rule makers who say the ride height has to be ...
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I agree that there are some similar design elements. I do however disagree with the OP who in his wording seems to be hinting that BMW have taken these elements from Ford. Many of these features to which he has referred have been long standing BMW design DNA that was released long before the FG was even on the drawing board.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i just want the aussie engineers to start copying the euro designers when it comes to ride height!! why do aussie cars need such a large gap between the tyre and guard?...
Cos people like myself tend to go bush and travel on unsealed roads and the likes. The ride height is tops.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with OP in that it does look very similar to FG.

In fact, if you cover the headlights and grille with your hand (to me) it looks very G6-like.

Anyone interested in photo-shopping that pic and wacking a G6 front on the thing ?
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Looks nothing like it.

The rear wheel flare/arch, as you say, Mitch, looks similar. But only from the angle you show. The rear 3/4 view, however, shows a stark difference between the two.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
Absolutely not. Our fellow Aussie engineers ripped off the current 5 series because gone are the days when Australian cars were actually original. The 5 series doesn't look like a Falcon, the Falcon looks like a 5 series. And when I say they look similar, I mean the glasshouse has been ripped off and also the character line down the side, to an extent. The next generation of Falcon will likely rip off the next generation of large German sedans too. As far as this latest 5 series, sit it next to a Falcon and the design, particularly in the details, will be like comparing chalk and cheese.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Cos people like myself tend to go bush and travel on unsealed roads and the likes. The ride height is tops.
that doesn't mean they can't design the body to sit closer to the tyre, without compromising the ride height/ground clearance.
Old 16-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
that doesn't mean they can't design the body to sit closer to the tyre, without compromising the ride height/ground clearance.
Exactly, BMW's Mercs etc have got i down to a fine art, everything is tucked up above the Sill's and the gaurds fit snugly around the wheels.

Australian cars fail in this aspect.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Kryton

It looks similar because everybody is hell bent on making cars more European for some reason.
Yes, they do look very nice and classy, but if everything eventually looks like the same thing, then what have we really achieved?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

Funny, the BMW 5 series they had before and their present Mercedes does not seem to cause my parents any trouble, and they live on 20,000 acre wheat and sheep farm.
Old 16-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bangle did the AU...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ah well then, the aussie car designers are a bit lazy then if they cant cut the gap....
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Bangle did the AU...
I don't get the joke.

It was Steve Park who did the AU.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Another lame dig at the Au, never!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact is if you look hard enough, all cars look similar. I look at the back end of a Camry and I see a Bangle Butt, that's very BMW, on a Camry? If you truly look hard, the best designs combine all the great elements into one perfect harmony of style.

IMHO, I'm not a fan of this new BMW 5-Series. The belt-line, and the positioning of the door handles ruins the side profile (although it looks good in that picture) plus the front is now just a rip off 3-Series look alike. At least the old 5-Series looked like nothing else, the sharklike look of it will remain in my heart and mind as one of the best designed saloons ever. Weird, I know but it was in love when everyone else was crying wolf.
Old 17-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #20
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i just want the aussie engineers to start copying the euro designers when it comes to ride height!! why do aussie cars need such a large gap between the tyre and guard?

is this the designer/engineers fault, or are they governed by the silly rule makers who say the ride height has to be ...
Because they are touring cars, designed to travel across Australia on B grade roads and on unsealed roads. They are simply designed with a practical ride height for use throughout Australia.

My factory height XR8 was marginal on some roads around where I use to live in rural NSW, particuarly at higher posted speeds. Lowering it would just of been asking to loose the front bar. I doubt Ford feel the need to do warranty repairs for the sake of those who want to look cool by having their **** hanging 5cm off the road. ;)

Besides there are aftermarket mods for those who want to loose the factory warranty cover and look cool, cruising in the burbs and their once a year trip to the Gold Coast.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Because they are touring cars, designed to travel across Australia on B grade roads and on unsealed roads. They are simply designed with a practical ride height for use throughout Australia.

My factory height XR8 was marginal on some roads around where I use to live in rural NSW, particuarly at higher posted speeds. Lowering it would just of been asking to loose the front bar. I doubt Ford feel the need to do warranty repairs for the sake of those who want to look cool by having their **** hanging 5cm off the road. ;)

Besides there are aftermarket mods for those who want to loose the factory warranty cover and look cool, cruising in the burbs and their once a year trip to the Gold Coast.

Dan
i'm not saying simply put lower suspension in. you will notice plenty of euro cars also travel the same roads the aussie ones do. they can design the sheetmetal differently to lose some of that airgap, without affecting ride height or suspension travel.
Old 17-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

Dan
The australian standard and legal requirement for the lowest part of any car is 100 mm, which all euros abide by as does the XR falcon so I fail to see how your logic works. BMW and Mercedes manage this without their cars looking like they have 4wd clearance, why can't Australian manufacturers? Like I said before, my parents drive their Mercedes on WA wheat belt back roads and gravel roads every day, they survive very well. In fact their mercedes and BMW both survived suspension wise better than their NA and EL Fairlane Ghias that they had before switching to euro's.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Dan
I live in Tamworth NSW and where i work we see many a BMW or Merc owned by people who live on a farm...on dirt roads etc.

They are quite practical.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 17-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO, I think it looks to similiar to the current 3 series, espicially the rear end.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Looks nothing like a Falcon.

I too think it is too similar to the 3 Series. The last 5 Series was a great looking car, it really was a love it or hate it car. I loved it. Looked like nothing else on the road, this new 5 Series looks boring.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Looks nothing like a Falcon.

I too think it is too similar to the 3 Series. The last 5 Series was a great looking car, it really was a love it or hate it car. I loved it. Looked like nothing else on the road, this new 5 Series looks boring.
I am with you on this one, the previous 5 series looked awesome. I seriously loved my parents 540 and thought it was one of the nicest cars I have ever driven, it was a wolf in sheep's clothing for performance too.

The new 5 series looks nice but I prefer the previous one.
Old 17-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
because gone are the days when Australian cars were actually original. .
sorry, when were australian cars original? the 60's when we direct imported falcons and valiants from the usa? or the 80s when we started copying european designs instead?
Old 17-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #28
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
sorry, when were australian cars original? the 60's when we direct imported falcons and valiants from the usa? or the 80s when we started copying european designs instead?
LOL good point

my 1st car was just a dodge dart but rhd and different front and rear sheet metal (69 valiant VF hardtop)
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle

The AU is about as original as we get.

\≡≡T≡≡/