Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cabin pollen filter

I went to change the pollen filter on my LT diesel today and the owners handbook says nothing about it. So Looked up the forum and found the link .
Imagine my surprise to discover no filter in place even though the slot is there for it.,

Any one else find this or was mine just an unlucky south african built car

marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
rand0mn00b

Default Re: cabin pollen filter

I recall many of the later Focuses not having these

Personally have not checked mine. From memory it is quite an ordeal to remove
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The earlier models had them inside the engine bay but prone to leaking when their cover warped. The later models (LT on ward) have them in behind the center consul inside the cabin but not a simple job to get at them.
Old 23-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
spedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
The earlier models had them inside the engine bay but prone to leaking when their cover warped.
That may explain the water I had in my ST170 after heavy rains earlier this year!

I'll have to check that out, thanks!
spedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I just did a Google search and came across these instructions on how to remove and replace the pollen filter on a MK2 Focus 2005..., I thought it might hopefully be handy for anyone contemplating giving it ago themselves

INSTRUCTIONS

Its a bit fiddly but with a bit of patience you can easilly do it.
You start by taking the 2 screws out and removing the passenger side panel at the bottom of the centre console. Behind this panel is a large black box which is the heater matrix. The pollen filter is right at the back of this black box.(At the engine end of the matrix)

Next you need to drop the fuse box out of the way. To do this, twist and release the 2 front fasteners on the fuse box allowing it to drop down at the front, you can then lift it off the bracket at the back (no need to remove bracket with 13mm bolts) and push it to the left out of the way.

I took the glove box interior out so i could see what i was doing but that's up to you, If you do wish to remove the glove box it's very easy to do, 4 screws at top, 3 screws at bottom behind the lift up flaps, you can then see the pollen filter cover quite easily. With the fuse box to one side you then remove the 3 small bolts/screws that hold the pollen filter cover on. This is right at the back of the heater matrix. The pollen filter then pulls out. Check which way the airflow arrow on top of the filter is set and put new filter in in same direction. Refit pollen filter cover and fuse box. Refit side panel (and glove box if you removed it). That's it, job done !

Last edited by Russ; 23-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I just did a Google search and came across these instructions on how to remove and replace the pollen filter on a MK2 Focus 2005..., I thought it might hopefully be handy for anyone contemplating giving it a go themselves.

INSTRUCTIONS

Its a bit fiddly but with a bit of patience you can easilly do it.
You start by taking the 2 screws out and removing the passenger side panel at the bottom of the centre console. Behind this panel is a large black box which is the heater matrix. The pollen filter is right at the back of this black box.(At the engine end of the matrix)

Next you need to drop the fuse box out of the way. To do this, twist and release the 2 front fasteners on the fuse box allowing it to drop down at the front, you can then lift it off the bracket at the back (no need to remove bracket with 13mm bolts) and push it to the left out of the way.

I took the glove box interior out so i could see what i was doing but that's up to you, If you do wish to remove the glove box it's very easy to do, 4 screws at top, 3 screws at bottom behind the lift up flaps, you can then see the pollen filter cover quite easily. With the fuse box to one side you then remove the 3 small bolts/screws that hold the pollen filter cover on. This is right at the back of the heater matrix. The pollen filter then pulls out. Check which way the airflow arrow on top of the filter is set and put new filter in in same direction. Refit pollen filter cover and fuse box. Refit side panel (and glove box if you removed it). That's it, job done !
Just adding - it didn't specify whether the instructions were for a petrol or diesel model but I would assume they would be the same
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I've often wondered about the pollen filter.

See them all the time on ebay UK. I dont think my LT update has one.
Old 23-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will have a slot to put one as the early LT(2007) have the slot for them mine just had nothing in it probably cost cutting or south african build quality issue
Old 23-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I thought it mentions this filter as a service item in my LV book, or is that the cabin filter? Are they different? Why manufacturers put serviceable items out of reach is beyond me... Like fuel filters in the tank.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I thought it mentions this filter as a service item in my LV book, or is that the cabin filter? Are they different? Why manufacturers put serviceable items out of reach is beyond me... Like fuel filters in the tank.....
It's not really out of reach. It takes me around 10 mins to change it.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I think I threw mine out after nearly dislocating by body trying to reach it...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
boss 300

ha ha,hi mate
Old 25-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #13
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
I think I threw mine out after nearly dislocating by body trying to reach it...
Cassa' goes to chiropracter -

"What's wrong?"

"I think I have dislocated my entire body"

"kachhhiiiing!!"