Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default The prang. 18 months later

As some will know, my Focus had an altercation with a truck about 18 months ago. Basically wiped the left hand side of the car off.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=truck

Anyhow, AAMI fixed it, but a few weeks ago I noticed a small lump had developed on the divers door...no more than 3mm.

Rust I thought!! Not happy Jan!

AAMI has a lifetime warranty on repairs, so called them.

Long story short.....they found 9 different problems with the repairs including welding around the hatch area, poor paint, overspray, dodgy bodywork etc etc etc. (It was a rivet I could see, not rust)

So they are fixing the lot under warranty. $3000 of further repairs, brand new Driver's door and two and a half weeks off the road.

Hats off to AAMI though. They could have just sanded and resprayed the door and I wouldn't have been the wiser. Instead they've identified and are fixing problems I couldn't see

Here's my car in the shop now

The original panel beater has been sacked by AAMI and has subsequently gone out of business

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

Last edited by melbzetec; 01-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
BrisVegas
Noobie

good stuff. I'm with AAMI and would hope they'd look after my car in the unfortunate even something like that happened.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i think ill be getting my insurance under aami when its time to be renewed....

thanks steve.

hope it goes really well.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

i'm with aami and i was VERY happy with their service when my focus recieved a little knock on the front bumper. could not recommend any one else!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Stephen, I suppose that good news is good indeed but the bad is you're without your Focus for a while. I was thinking whilst the Focus is in the shop do you think this might be an opportune time to get the ST seats in?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
As some will know, my Focus had an altercation with a truck about 18 months ago. Basically wiped the left hand side of the car off.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=truck

Anyhow, AAMI fixed it, but a few weeks ago I noticed a small lump had developed on the divers door...no more than 3mm.

Rust I thought!! Not happy Jan!

AAMI has a lifetime warranty on repairs, so called them.

Long story short.....they found 9 different problems with the repairs including welding around the hatch area, poor paint, overspray, dodgy bodywork etc etc etc. (It was a rivet I could see, not rust)

So they are fixing the lot under warranty. $3000 of further repairs, brand new Driver's door and two and a half weeks off the road.

Hats off to AAMI though. They could have just sanded and resprayed the door and I wouldn't have been the wiser. Instead they've identified and are fixing problems I couldn't see

Here's my car in the shop now

The original panel beater has been sacked by AAMI and has subsequently gone out of business
Sucks that your car was banged up but Christ, that's pretty good service by AAMI :
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Stephen, I suppose that good news is good indeed but the bad is you're without your Focus for a while. I was thinking whilst the Focus is in the shop do you think this might be an opportune time to get the ST seats in?
In the pipeline Eddie. Sean is bringing them down at the end of the month(what a champion!!!)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
alky89

thats excellent! (aami redoing repairs, not the accident). im with nrma and bumped the car a few months ago. and after a complimentary inspection from nrma, they found a few of the usual problems (paint runs, overspray etc... and some old headlights crappy headlights were used) and the repairer has been told to fix it all up. the insurance companies are happy to point out any issues with the job because it doesnt cost them a cent. its all on the repairer because they shouldve done it right the first time.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
melbzetec

In this case AAMI is paying, as the original guy has gone out of business (wonder why??!!!!)

Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I had a look at your old post to check out the original damage. Catastrophic!

I'm sorry to see that 18 months on the saga continues. At least this should be the end of it.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stephen, glad to see your car will finally get repaired properly. Shame that it has to go back in a 2nd time but at least it is going to get done properly. Hopefully the retrim of your seats wont be a bad experiance.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
melbzetec

I've just been advised by AAMI.......one extra week.....to guarantee quality control....which I guess is good.

Thing is, I have a new 65mm throttle I want to port match to the intake manifold and install, plus I need to make some measurements for another planned mod....so I'm getting itchy feet

I am really missing my car!!!!!!

( Mind you, I couldn't drive it at the moment.........had left knee surgery this morning.....need your hand controls Eddie!)

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Pfft. Use a broom.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
melbzetec

Hey TJ...you sold the car!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Yup. It was looking better than it ever had (I even bothered to touch the road rash on the bottom of the bumper)

Was upset to see it pull out of the driveway tho, it was so hard to hand over the keys.
If you're ever in grafton, keep an eye out for it.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Thing is, I have a new 65mm throttle I want to port match to the intake manifold and install, plus I need to make some measurements for another planned mod....so I'm getting itchy feet
The mods never stop!

All the best with your knee mate.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am really missing my car!!!!!!

( Mind you, I couldn't drive it at the moment.........had left knee surgery this morning.....need your hand controls Eddie!)
At your age, your lucky you can walk : I know you miss my remarks.

Better that your car takes longer to fix to make sure its done properly this time. Can't wait to see mods you got installed for us....always amazes me

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
melbzetec

aaaaah, I can still rely on you Adam!!!!!!

To anyone else it was just an arthriscope of the left knee

But to those in the know, I've actually had a Cosworth titanium clutch engagement knee inserted : :

(mmmmm, maybe the effects of the anaesthetic hasn't worn off yet)

Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As in, a total knee replacement?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
melbzetec

No no DJ. Just joking.

I did have an arthriscope to clean up my knee joint and remove some small floating bone fragments. Old sport injuries that have deteriorated. Haven't been able to put weight on the knee for about 2 months, so needed it sorted.

Should be able to drive again in about 3-4 days

Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #21
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I am truely shocked that AAMI are doing this.

I had an absolute shocker of an experience with them many years ago, and will never go through them again they were that dodgy.

Glad they are fixing your car, lets hope this time its done right !
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Kryton

makes you wonder how many other dodgey repaired cars are out there.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
No no DJ. Just joking.

I did have an arthriscope to clean up my knee joint and remove some small floating bone fragments. Old sport injuries that have deteriorated. Haven't been able to put weight on the knee for about 2 months, so needed it sorted.

Should be able to drive again in about 3-4 days

i had a scope on my right knee about 10months ago - footy gets the best of me. i couldnt drive for 8 days and thats only on the accelerator, so gook luck. keep doin ya exercises and you'll be drivin in no time.. :
Old 16-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I've also had good service from AAMI like that. When the Fez got the bumper scraped last year, the paint started coming off less than a year later. AAMI told me to take it back to Ford to redo, & I got my door handles colour coded for free.