Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Question Au Xr6 Or Ba Futura ? Which To Buy ?

I'm looking at buying either a AU XR6 VCT series 2 or 3, or a 2002-2003 BA Futura - they're roughly in the same price range. As the BA Falcon is supposedly far in advance of the AU series, is the BA considered a better thing than the superseded XR6 ? I'm not overly interested in out-and-out performance (though like any good aussie bloke you don't have to scratch the surface too hard to unearth the boy racer), just good handling and value for money.

Really like the look of the AU XR6's, but figure the BA may be a better day to day proposition. The car will be driven about 15,000 km a year by me and the missus ferrying the teenage kids about. It will be our main form of transport though we do have a second car ( '92 cressida - great car ! A Supra dressed in a cardigan.)

Did any of the AU XR6's come with side airbags ?

Your thoughts appreciated.

fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Buy a Blueprint AU III XR6 VCT, the BA may be a better car on paper but at the end of the day the XR6 in the AU is certainly a sweet car!

No Side bags on AUs tho sadly.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
stiddy
Banned

for the money you can get a Series 3 AU XR6, or a base model BA XT.. fairly easy choice in my opinion..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
for the money you can get a Series 3 AU XR6, or a base model BA XT.. fairly easy choice in my opinion..
Ba XT yhe????
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
Ba XT yhe????
haha yeah the base model BA : /sarcasm
Old 19-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy-two
I'm looking at buying either a AU XR6 VCT series 2 or 3, or a 2002-2003 BA Futura - they're roughly in the same price range. As the BA Falcon is supposedly far in advance of the AU series, is the BA considered a better thing than the superseded XR6 ? I'm not overly interested in out-and-out performance (though like any good aussie bloke you don't have to scratch the surface too hard to unearth the boy racer), just good handling and value for money.

Really like the look of the AU XR6's, but figure the BA may be a better day to day proposition. The car will be driven about 15,000 km a year by me and the missus ferrying the teenage kids about. It will be our main form of transport though we do have a second car ( '92 cressida - great car ! A Supra dressed in a cardigan.)

Did any of the AU XR6's come with side airbags ?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Give them both a good drive (are they equivalent in K's?)
Could not be happer with my BA though.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Look around for a BA XR6, surely they cant be too far off the money either? They can be had for under 20K easily
Old 19-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Personally Id look for a nice clean low klms BA XT for about 16K and spend a couple of grand on modding it to suit you (maybe some suspension work/mags or brakes).

Id think that would be a better prospect than an AU and most BA's still have a bit of warranty left, so you can get it fixed up before it runs out.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
Look around for a BA XR6, surely they cant be too far off the money either? They can be had for under 20K easily
Good luck getting one under 20 grand that hasnt done over 100,000 kays, i havent seen one yet!
Old 19-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the BA. At the end of the day, it's personal preference - give them both a drive and then decide (and let us know what you went for )
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
aimzes
...fairly odd

definatly a low k BA.
Old 19-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
fordy-two
Starter Motor

You know, this being an enthusiasts' site I thought it would be all one way traffic in favour of the XR6 , making my choice an easy one. Surprisingly, the BA brigade has some strong support.

I drove a base model BA and was seriously underwhelmed - I think they forgot some of the letters in the model designation:B(l)A(nd) !
Sure it was much quieter, slightly quicker, looked nicer, was made better (and actually had brakes that worked) compared to my EFII Futura, but for the money I was going to spend I couldn't see the value. The BA Futura did feel nicer to be in, I certainly could live with one of those. The BA Fairmont Ghia was really impressive, but they're still $22k+ for a decent one with leather seats, and yes, get me a BA XR6 for under 20k and I'm there (but what were they thinking about with that trim ?!!!).

I guess it will basically get down to the best-bang-for-the-bucks-bargain around $17-$18k. Of course, I haven't actually driven the XR6 yet...

Thanks for your replies.

Oh, ignoring any age difference, is there any real benefit paying the extra $2-3k for a series 3 AU XR6 compared to an equivalent featured series 2 ?
Old 19-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

EB and mod the ИИИИ out of it.
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Future resale value demands an AUII or III XR 6 or 8. They are the same value now (perhaps an AU XR is worth more than a BAXT) so it will get worse. Last of the Ticky's, got to love that!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Did the BA have those magical wings?? I think not.. AU XR6 over BA Futura if you are passionate, BA over AU if its just another car for you to get from A to B.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

My vote is for the BA, great cars, and if you like power, an AU needs a few mods to get up to standard BA spec.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

No contest. An AUIII XR6 (VCT or not) will be heaps better to drive. It will also handle better than ANY BA/BF could ever hope.
Old 19-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
No contest. An AUIII XR6 (VCT or not) will be heaps better to drive. It will also handle better than ANY BA/BF could ever hope.
Handle better?

Hump dont think so, although ive owned one of both plus driven plenty of both.

As I said id probarly go the AU XR as the Futura is boring and theres still the Tickford brand that I like, but at the end of the day if your looking for a car based on comfort, power and ride go the BA, it ИИИИs all over the AU especially in dynamics.

If your really lucky tho id be looking for a V8 XT, they look good and have that nice V8 rumble about them, plus they are nearly as cheap as the sixes, although ull have to do some shopping to find one.
Old 19-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2884623&curr ent_rec=1&total_rec=4&sort_type=1&make_id=6&keywor d=BA%20XT&state_id=-1&search_distance=25&cylinder_num=8

Something like that would be a great car.
Old 19-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Handle better?

As I said id probarly go the AU XR as the Futura is boring and theres still the Tickford brand that I like, but at the end of the day if your looking for a car based on comfort, power and ride go the BA, it ИИИИs all over the AU especially in dynamics.

If your really lucky tho id be looking for a V8 XT, they look good and have that nice V8 rumble about them, plus they are nearly as cheap as the sixes, although ull have to do some shopping to find one.
BA XR6 wins hands down for confort, NVH, smoothness and general refinement over the AU XR6 BUT, in a contest of "point it at a corner and come out as fast as you can" the AU XR6 VCT will murder any BA/BF XR6 for outright grip. It wont be as "smooth" but the BA wont even be in the same game. Take a good look at the springs in a BA and an AU. The AU springs are MASSIVE in comparison. They are not the smoothest car in the world but no stock BA will come close to outhandling one. Too heavy, too soft and simply not designed to do it. The BA XR6 NA is not the handling car the AU VCT is.. plain and simple. May win on almost everything else.. but it simply cannot keep up around corners.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.

Last edited by Casper; 19-02-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
AU XR6 over BA Futura if you are passionate, BA over AU if its just another car for you to get from A to B.
I couldnt agree with that any more..
thats my new sig!!!
Old 19-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #22
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do all these end up with undercurrents of AU model vs BA model ... I guess it's bound to happen, but really, the best thing the OP can do is drive them back to back and then decide.

There are benifits a mile long either way you go, and at the end of the day it depends what the owner wants, and what they feel strokes their sweet spot. The decision is driven by price in the $16k price area and its going to be either an AU series XR6, or a BA XT (or Futura). They're different cars for different reasons -> they weren't designed for the same people.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #23
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2884623&curr ent_rec=1&total_rec=4&sort_type=1&make_id=6&keywor d=BA%20XT&state_id=-1&search_distance=25&cylinder_num=8

Something like that would be a great car.
Now if thats not the best $20,000 you could spend, i dont know what is.
Set of lowered springs and some rims and you have a bloody nice car.
$20,000, hows goods that.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #24
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I would choose the AU over the BA anyday.

Casper you hit the nail on the head with that quote.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #25
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Wink

Quote:
Handle better?

Satan get thee behind me !!!!!

So now I have to add V8 to the search ? How does the Devil instictively know your weaknesses ? Here I am trying to convince myself to be logical/sensible/reasonable/rational/unemotional and get the not-a-bad-thing-but-where-is-the-heat BA instead of the look-at-me-look-at-me-I'm-having-fun-and doesn't-she-look-great-and-watch-her-go-mate AU XR6 and you throw a V8 into the mix ? !!!

You are evil, pure evil.

Last edited by fordy-two; 20-02-2006 at 01:55 AM.