Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Weird Fuel Gauge??

Howdy,

Just a weird experience with the fuel gauge. Story goes like this...

WP Fiesta - I went to the service station to fill up with Vortex 98 (Full Tank). The guage was on two small bars and like that for atleast 30 kms. So i fill up the tank all the way till its slighly over flowing. Came to $44 Bucks. I look at the total litres purchased and it says 36.13L (i reassure you the tank was completly full). Now that means that i would have had 8-9L prior to fill up. But at the moemnt fuel econ isnt too great and i would say it would have turned over to the one bar if i did drive any more.

Does this sound about right??

On previous occasions i have driven down to the last bar (warning light is on) and filled up the same way (full) and would get 42-43L.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

Damo

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 04-02-2007 at 04:14 PM.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo it isn't good to have your take overflow, you have to let the fuel breathe a bit. But I'm not sure what the problem is.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
lxuser
Starter Motor

Hi there! it's also a very good idea to keep your fez's at least a 1/4 full all the time as a friend of mine found out the hard way($900)when you continually run on an empty tank the fuel pump sucks up all the residue through your fuel filter and stuffs your filter
lxuser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxuser
Hi there! it's also a very good idea to keep your fez's at least a 1/4 full all the time as a friend of mine found out the hard way($900)when you continually run on an empty tank the fuel pump sucks up all the residue through your fuel filter and stuffs your filter
That only really happens if you don't run it to near empty on a regular basis, allowing residue to build up in the first place. My Fiesta since new has been run to near empty and filled up, with every single tankfull. No problems.

And Damo, that sounds about right. In the WP, each bar is worth approx 5 litres. Your gauge is fine.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:

Last edited by Steffo; 05-02-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That only really happens if you don't run it to near empty on a regular basis, allowing residue to build up in the first place. My Fiesta since new has been run to near empty and filled up, with every single tank. No problems.

Yeh I thought PULPs are good stuff... much less crappy sediments.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I got 46L in mine the last time I filled up. Must have been nearly walking.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
I got 46L in mine the last time I filled up. Must have been nearly walking.
46L? Probably filled up the filler neck too... to fit 1L more then the tank size. Damn... you would've been running on fumes before that... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
joshf2
striped

Quote:
how does a fuel filter cost $900?
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post