Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dealer used car

I am looking at dealers used car that was manufactured in 97 and had two owners - first owner for 10 years with full dealers service history (not with dealer who is selling it now) and second owner for the last 4 years (only done 9000k in last 4 years) without any service history.
Car is a prestige make v8 and dealer claims that second owner was an enthusiast who owned it as a weekend car.
As i am somewhat sceptical when it comes to dealers stories i would like to ring the last owner and have a chat about the car.
Dealer is not keen on passing on last owners contact details - are they allowed to withold that information or am i being unreasonable here ?
It has been a while since i bought a used car from a dealer but i remember that previous owners name used to be listed on the window along with model milage etc.
Has that changed due to privacy issues ?

Last edited by SumoDog68; 12-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default Re: Dealer used car

Pretty sure they wont be allowed to pass on the previous owners details even if they wanted to

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You prob won't get the previous owners details. If you dig enough and look in the right places you mat find it yourself.

What discount are you getting due to the fact it's missing the last 4 years service history?

Of what was done previously, any high $ items like clutch, timing belt, water pump, rotors, etc etc etc.... ???

Is there any evidence of recent maintenance??

Does the first 10 years service history look legit??

If you are to invest in such a car I would be getting an independent inspection...

Oh.... regarding dealers.... their job is to sell cars. Be very careful with what they say and if something sounds sus or just doesn't make sense it is prob a fib.

Why would an owner of such a car not have any receipts in 4 years?? Is there an actual reason??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

If you are to invest in such a car I would be getting an independent inspection...

Oh.... regarding dealers.... their job is to sell cars. Be very careful with what they say and if something sounds sus or just doesn't make sense it is prob a fib.

Both 100 % correct

Dont even beleive the in house inspections
OR
The "It comes with a RACQ (or your states equivelant) inspection
Independant inspection depending how thorough,a few hundred bucks

Salesman tall stories
Gee how many of the "yeah mate shaza 1 owner,1 lady owner actually"
(Then ya find out its had more owners than a $500 VL commo)
Tall stories have we heard
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. All cars sold by licensed dealers in Victoria have a sheet on the back window stating last owner of car, warranty details if required, sellers details, and price etc.
Always remember that a lot of one owner cars can be owned by one company but trashed and thrashed by everyone that works there from the post boy to the M.D. Cheers MD.

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. All cars sold by licensed dealers in Victoria have a sheet on the back window stating last owner of car, warranty details if required, sellers details, and price etc.
Always remember that a lot of one owner cars can be owned by one company but trashed and thrashed by everyone that works there from the post boy to the M.D. Cheers MD.

There is a sheet in the back window that states all particulars apart from previous owner where it states it is available on request.
Dealer was not keen to disclose who was the previous owner - are they legally obliged to do it ?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Kryton

If you ask, they have to tell you.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they advertise that they will pass them on, then they should pass them on. If they're unwilling, alarm bells should ring and you may want to consider passing on this car.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do a RTA or equivalent check on the web make sure its not repairable write off as well
Theres a thread somewhere on FF about it
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
do a RTA or equivalent check on the web make sure its not repairable write off as well
Theres a thread somewhere on FF about it
Although a dealer must notify you BY LAW if it is/was/or has been at any point, it still doesnt hurt to do your own checks.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salesman tall stories
" Gee how many of the "yeah mate shaza 1 owner,1 lady owner actually"
Tall stories have we heard "

Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again , there are two kinds of lies told in the second hand car game , big ones by dealers and gargantuan massive huge ginormous f - ing whoppers by customers .

What is the big deal that there is no history for a car with less than 10,000 kms since its last service considering most new cars nowadays have 15,000 km service intervals .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
66GT

It could be a case that during the last 4 years sigificant km's could have been travelled by the second carefull enthusiast owner. The dealer may have replaced the speedo with one with less km's to support the good condition of the car, hence no records for services etc. The second owner may be more than willing to disclose the exact reasons hence the dealer not willing to disclose second owner details. This does still happen doesn't it?
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Salesman tall stories
" Gee how many of the "yeah mate shaza 1 owner,1 lady owner actually"
Tall stories have we heard "

Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again , there are two kinds of lies told in the second hand car game , big ones by dealers and gargantuan massive huge ginormous f - ing whoppers by customers .

What is the big deal that there is no history for a car with less than 10,000 kms since its last service considering most new cars nowadays have 15,000 km service intervals .

Servicing can be done by mileage or time - this car hasnt got any service history for last four years . I ll ask for indepenedent workshop inspection and take it from there.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
venthan87
Starter Motor

i learned so much by just reading this thread. Was looking at a dealer car myself.
venthan87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car here
Is a 1997 Patrol it since new has been fully serviced every 5,000Ks
All documented of course , cause its in the owners manual/log book thinging
But for the last 20,000Ks ,its been fully serviced by myself ,but not documented
Does it make it worth any more or any less ???

If your happy with the car and it passes any inspection , then go for it
If your not comfortable with it and the deal and/or inspection , move along
I doubt there would be any new cars youd comfortably call an investment
Buy to enjoy
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
If you ask, they have to tell you.
Why is that. Is their no protection of peoples privacy anymore. Are dealers obliged to pass on the details of an ex owner, someone who no longer has an interest in the car. The car is no longer in his name. So why would he want to be contacted and hassled.

Well done to the dealer for keeping this previous owners name confidential.

Last thing I want is someone ringing me about a car I no longer own. Not my car anymore and I couldn't care less what any potential buyer wants to know. Either buy it or don't.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What state is the dealer in?
In some states they may not be required to disclose the previous owner.In Victoria they are required to display the previous owner's name and address on the car and can be fined for not doing so.Privacy doesn't come into it,it's required by law.
Check with the relevant state's consumer affairs department as to what the dealer is required to supply or disclose.
At the end of the day,if you're not happy with the service you're getting or if you smell a rat,shop elsewhere.
Old 15-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ve given up on this carnas dealer wont agree to independent workshop inspection. Found another car of the same model and put deposit on it.
Old 15-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
I ve given up on this carnas dealer wont agree to independent workshop inspection. Found another car of the same model and put deposit on it.
Says it all really.
Old 15-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Well it doesnt sound good, but would they have accepted an onsite inspection by RACQ etc.

Last time I was selling a car, the potential buyer wanted to take it to a mate mechanic's workshop to have it inspected........yeh, let them drive it halfway across town and have some unknowns leave grease marks all over the car?

Fat chance. Bring your mate mechanic here and look at it and no you cant start pulling wheels off etc.

The car may well be good, its only done 9000k in four years, would you expect receipts for anything?....... though perhaps evidence of at least four oil changes would be good if the thing is driven weekly, an enthusiast would actually write the date of the change with a box marker on the oil filter(....that's whats I do)

Previous owner's name and address having to be listed, can understand it, but hey, isnt that why we accept less to have a dealer trade our car, so we dont have to deal with the people wanting to buy them? Nope, dont want any random calls from people asking me history of the car either or holding me responsible when the thing falls to bits etc when Im basically paying a premium for the dealer to do that.

Last edited by sudszy; 15-06-2011 at 06:00 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I service one of my (2003model) cars and i keep full log with work done ,receipts for all (genuine parts) used , tyre changes , aligment specs etc.i only use the best parts as parts are cheap and labour is mine.
All work done by myself and if i decide to sell it buyer gets a nice folder which tells him that i am enthusiast and i cared about this car.
4 year hole in history of the car was a bit much , dealer would not have the car on the hoist in the nearby mechanics workshop, so i walked.
It just happened that a same model car popped up for sale , two years younger , nearly half kms less covered and same price ....
Private owner agreed to inspection and car passed it easily , full documented sh and deposit was promptly handed over.
I guess i was reminded why i hate buying from dealers - his story was all over the place, knew nothing a bout the car he was selling and assumed i was the same ...
Old 15-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Well it doesnt sound good, but would they have accepted an onsite inspection by RACQ etc.

Last time I was selling a car, the potential buyer wanted to take it to a mate mechanic's workshop to have it inspected........yeh, let them drive it halfway across town and have some unknowns leave grease marks all over the car?

Fat chance. Bring your mate mechanic here and look at it and no you cant start pulling wheels off etc.

The car may well be good, its only done 9000k in four years, would you expect receipts for anything?....... though perhaps evidence of at least four oil changes would be good if the thing is driven weekly, an enthusiast would actually write the date of the change with a box marker on the oil filter(....that's whats I do)

Previous owner's name and address having to be listed, can understand it, but hey, isnt that why we accept less to have a dealer trade our car, so we dont have to deal with the people wanting to buy them? Nope, dont want any random calls from people asking me history of the car either or holding me responsible when the thing falls to bits etc when Im basically paying a premium for the dealer to do that.
I am with you on this one.

In my opinion one of the reasons I accept less money for my car when I trade it in is due to convenience and less hassle, I don't have to deal with multiple enquiries and tyre kickers. I just give the car yard the keys and walk away, easy.

Where is the convenience if I then have people ringing me asking me about the car? That is what the car yard are paid to do in the profit they make from my reduced payment.

Considering that some people have a very warped idea about what is fair, I do not want them to know my address or contact details. Consider this, I trade the car in and tell the salesman there is a vibrating noise coming from a part in the car. The car yard does nothing about it and on sells to someone with a "colourful" history. That person is upset about the vibration and tries to get a repair from the car yard, who give him the run around and fail to repair it. The buyer then gets it in his head that the previous owner is responsible for it because he has my details. Next I know I have some angry neanderthal at my house, around my kids, that thinks that I have some responsibility for repair of the car. I am sorry but I do not, consideration of that fault was in the trade in price, not my problem.

If I was to ever be contacted by a prospective buyer of a car that I traded in, I would tell them to ask the car yard they are buying it off (unless they sounded very reasonable). I would then go straight to the car yard and tear strips off them for giving out my contact details. There is a reason my mobile number is not listed and my home phone is registered as a silent number, give that out and a business can get in serious trouble.

Personally I see no need for it. A buyer should get an independent inspection if they are concerned, not hassle the previous owner. Any car yard that will not allow a independent inspection is hiding something, walk away from it.