Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default Rear Reverse Light

Had a look at the current RH rear fog lamp the other day, seeing how i could change it into a reverse light. It seemed easy enough, but that could just be that im pretty electrically orientated.

I picked up the my RH reverse lamp today from Titan Ford's after a weeks waiting for it to arrive from Melb, cost $23. When i get to the rewiring and fitting, ill take some pics and make up a tutorial for the EuroFord website for all the people who wana make the change.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Have done this mod, it's a pearler. When you do it, splice the wire into your left hand reverser, but leave the original fog light connected. Not only will that mean that you can use both as reversers, but it also means you can use your foglight switch to light up around your car in a dark alleyway when not reversing, or when the car is parked and you need rear light. It also means that when you put it into reverse, the interior foglight orange light comes on, which acts as a check to make sure the lines are still connected.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
lincoln
Blinded

I can't stand how they disconnected the rear fog on the ST170. Just disgusting, IMO.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You can have my foglight... :o) I don't use it. I has to do with the bodykit, clearance/visibility issues I believe, the reverser has a smaller range with the rasied rear skirt around it. In all honesty though, I think most people in Sydney's cities never have reason to use it and never know when to use it anyway. It shouldn't even be used in light fog, but pea soup fog only. If I see one more excel.... crowbar time
Old 13-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I don't understand a) why any factory bodykitted Focus needs two reverse lights or b) why you would bother doing this modification, personally.

One works fine for me, I have never thought "I need another reverse light", and you lose the functionality of the rear fog. I agree with zetec in the sense that you should only use it in really bad conditions, but there have been times where I have turned it on and felt alot better that cars approaching me from behind can see me alot easier, in bad weather conditions.

One reason I bought the Focus was the safety the vehicle offers in all conditions, and I am not willing to compromise that for another reverse light the vehicle doesn't need - in my opinion. One provides more than enough light.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Well my main reason for doing this mod is cause when i reverse out of my drive way i need the light on the right hand side so i can see my fence!

I also think cosmetically it looks COOLER!

Russ
Old 13-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASACL
Well my main reason for doing this mod is cause when i reverse out of my drive way i need the light on the right hand side
Russ
Exactly the reason im doing it. When i reverse, i only have light on the passenger side and can barely see anything on the rear of the drivers side. For those of you who havent noticed how bad it really is, try reversing in COMPLETE darkness with no street lights or moon around and try and see whats behing you on the drivers side.

The rear fog light is "functional", but IMO one extra red light wont make much of a difference, you have 2 other large red rear lights for people behind to see you. Alot of drivers here in Perth are crap anyway, so rear fog light or no rear foglight, some idiot will still smack you in the rear in fog :P

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 13-03-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 13-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

See, I don't have that problem at all - my reverse light pumps out plenty of light and I have never ever thought once "I wish I had more light."

Where I used to live was bad for visibility and I had to reverse all the way down to the end, and never had a problem.

I guess the blind among us need more help tho! : I agree with you in the sense that if you never use the rear fog, then getting rid of it isn't a problem, but where I drive all the time, very bad weather conditions are common and it will save my life one day.

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 13-03-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 13-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Oh and by the way, just because its my choice on my vehicle not to change it, doesn't mean it's everyones - I can see that!

And a write up for the club site would be most excellent! I'd appreciate that, so other club members can use your knowledge and experience - and you can show off your handywork! ;)

Tim
Old 13-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

you will change your tune about not needing light when u drive your focus again tim ;) 15% changes everything lol
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
You can have my foglight... :o) I don't use it. I has to do with the bodykit, clearance/visibility issues I believe, the reverser has a smaller range with the rasied rear skirt around it. In all honesty though, I think most people in Sydney's cities never have reason to use it and never know when to use it anyway. It shouldn't even be used in light fog, but pea soup fog only. If I see one more excel.... crowbar time
Yeah, that'd be nice, Matt. Next time we meet up... I'd love to swap it over.

In heavy rain storms that we get in sydney I would really prefer a rear fog... it does make me feel safer.

... and I know how to use it, I'm not an Excel driver ;)
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #12
WASACL
Phat-Euro

hey lincoln bro you can have mine if you want it?
Old 14-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Lincoln you'll probably have a harder time wiring it up, unless it's pre-wired which I actually imagine it would be, considering the ST comes into the country from factory with a reverser and a rear fog and gets the bodykit fitted here. Should be there pretty much, just capped off with tape or something. If you have dramas getting through Punchbowl alive, I'll post you mine no worries. Won't be in Syd for a while. But we should catch up eventually!!!

I definitely find I need it with my tint, only at 30% but dark enough at night. Tim does a lot of highway driving and that suits him, I drive in the city where not only would a Camry driver not know the difference between fog/rain/snow or sunlight, but I reverse and park far more often and can make use of it more often. I'm also sick of people telling me I only have one working rear light! I also have the ability to light up campsites now when I go camping. Contrary to belief, my lowered rally car goes everywhere with me and backing into campsites/garages then leaving the 2 rear lights switched on means I can see when I unload the boot!!!

I also learnt in Europe to whack on my hazards in thick fog anyway, you can never be too cautious. Attracts FAR more attnetion than a rear fog. Foggies are brilliant though, having gunned across Germany numerous times on Autobahns in early morning fog, they work, like magic. Just don't suit me, my needs or the look of my vehicle. Each to his own!!
Old 19-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #14
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Doesnt actually bother me that there is no rear fog light, i hate cars that have them on anyway, i would much prefer to have 2 reversing lights

my 2c

Chris
Old 20-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
brother

I can't believe there is only one. Seems really strange. People can't see I am reversing (during daylight) from a carpark and they are on my right.... seems a little dangerous and asking for trouble. Then again, I've had no trouble so far...
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

very common in europe...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sorry to dig up an old thread but has there been any progress made on the doco on how to do this? Id like to do it too as I have a rather long driveway and its hell at night - falcon taillights can barely cut it.

Im assuming you dont need to have a bodykit fitted to do it - just that in some pics ive seen the RHS light looks smaller than normal due to the kit. I dont have a kit (yet), so am i right just to rewire it and put the new lens in?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

yeh, ive done the conversion, got the pics but havent got to writing it yet. Gime a few more days. Its REALLY easy!

Tom
Old 02-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

excellent, thats what i wanted to hear!