Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default May order a new Zetec

Thinking of ordering one for the wife. A nice manual Black Zetec with those nice 17" rims should make her happy. Maybe a Ghia with the Zetec 17" alloys...now I'm confused..lol.

Just wish the Zetec had a leather option or the Ghia came in a hatch with a manual option, sports suspension and 17"'s.
Just waiting for a test drive now. I'll post up my thoughts when this happens.
Old 21-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
MADDER
FF.com.au SAAB Driver

Hi CDAA,

Looking forward to your opinion. Be careful about jumping in and getting one so soon though. The outgoing Focus was a devil for quality issues although many seem to be OK. You know, new model, new production line etc.

In any case, time will tell, but I do wish the best for the new Focus. It deserves to do well and Ford needs it to.

Cheers,

Jase

Now = 2006 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi with Heated Seats
MADDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yup CDAA by all means let us know how yuo go. I think an opinion from someone like yourself (who doesnt own a current Ford small car) would be good actually.

I like the look of a new LX hatch for myself, with 17's (of course) and all the option boxes ticked. Auto for me though.

Once the current one serves its time in my driveway, I may consider doing just that. I am also booked in to have a new Focus for a day when my dealer gets stock.
Old 21-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDER
The outgoing Focus was a devil for quality issues
Not sure what you mean here. The US version (made in Mexico) was a shocker for the early models but our German made Australian Foci in our family are among the most well built vehicles we have ever owned, far superior to the BA Falcon we had, and on par with our brand new Honda Accord Luxury.

Maybe we just have two of the most well built Foci out there if what you say is widespread, but in general the car seems to be reliable from moderating the Focus forums for a few years now.

CDAA - keep us informed of your decision! Both the vehicles have their nice points, I agree totally. I am keen for the Turbo Diesel Focus if I was to update.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yup CDAA by all means let us know how yuo go. I think an opinion from someone like yourself (who doesnt own a current Ford small car) would be good actually.

I like the look of a new LX hatch for myself, with 17's (of course) and all the option boxes ticked. Auto for me though.
It's been a while since my last small Ford (93 'S' Laser was my partners last one). I assume they have come a mile since then..lol I would have considered an LX hatch with some nice wheels, but would like somthing that's just a little bit different (special) for her rather than just the main steam models. My partner really get's attached to her cars and it's almost impossible to get her to let them go. Has to hurt her in the hip pocket before she'll give in!

Auto would be nice, but she want's manual which I'm also happy with. I read in the carpoint review that they thought it was the better pick out of the two anyway.

Timmeh, thanks for the clarification on the quality as well. I was under the impression that the current Focus was very good quality wise so hopefully the new model will build on this rather than go backwards. MADDER, I'll further investigate the quality issues regardless, but hopefully there will be none.

Looking forward to the test drive now!!
Old 21-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

Haing just come back from England the new Focus is everywhere along with the older shape model that is running out here...In England Hertz have taken up the new focus as its base hire car model.

Now dont get me wrong but for Hertz to take up the Focus in numbers as one of its stable hire cars would speak for the quality of the product, and two, if it has been in England for a while now I am sure the Ford Bozo's would have a headsup on any deficincies in the new model and be able to sort them out quickly either as maintenance items at service or even on the production floor......basically it might be a new model here in Australia but its done a few rounds already in Europe....not like New Falcons :P
Old 22-06-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

BUT, the UK cars are sourced from Germany right? Whereas we get the South African built cars... if im not wrong. Also, just because hertz take them on doesnt mean much. Over here hertz use Nissan Pulsar if im not wrong.... which i dont think are that great quality wise!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 01:30 AM   #8
lincoln
Blinded

Hertz are owned by Ford, hence the prevalence of Fords in their range. Why Hertz Australia use Pulsars instead of the Focus baffles me. They used to have the Laser before it was pulled.

As for quality, the Euro made Focus had a much better relaibility track record than the Mexican and American built Focus.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

besides the fact that Ford may own Hertz it still would not be a sensible business decision to use a car that requires frequent time off the road for repairs and servicing, hence I do not think Hertz would use a broken Ford as a hire car for its customers....
Old 22-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
BUT, the UK cars are sourced from Germany right? Whereas we get the South African built cars... if im not wrong.
So do VW (new Golf), BMW (New 3), Mercedes and others. That argument is old, tired and past its used by date. No offence Teki. :

I'd recommend a Zetec manual in Magnum Grey (DAAAAMN sexy dark dark silver that perfects the new Focus shape) with a nice dark grey leather installed by your local leather shop. Best of both worlds and the Ghia doesn't come in a manual which solves that problem. You should get a quality leather install for $1,500k or maybe slightly more, which in my mind is WELL worth it for choice of colour and style, you can even get a contrasting stitching colour if you choose and get the door ruches done, the handbrake, whatever you choose. Just call your local Dealer and enquire if they have a leather supplier, the number of local XR customers who used to get custom leather when I was a salesman was huge. Wild colours, FPV imitation etc..
Old 22-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDER
Be careful about jumping in and getting one so soon though. The outgoing Focus was a devil for quality issues although many seem to be OK. You know, new model, new production line etc.
The current Mk I Focus actually has the highest customer satisfaction of ANY Ford model in the Australian line-up so it clearly ISN'T a devil for quality issues. I'm one of those very satisfied owners VERY impressed with the quality of this fine little vehicle. There was an article recently written about how it was one of the unpopular models of the Ford line-up but that Focus owners were quietly the most satisfied of all. :eclipsee_

Some cars have many redeeming features that make you fall in love with a car and overcome all their multiple problems, others have no redeeming features and supposedly less problems and finally others have a whole lot of redeeming features and not many problems at all. The last one they call the Focus :
Old 22-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

No offence taken.... im just saying that you cant say that because the UK focus is great quality that the Australian focus is the same. They could have a few quality issues..... i guess we will just have to wait and see. But im sure ford have high quality control, so they probably wont have problems.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 22-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
No offence taken.... im just saying that you cant say that because the UK focus is great quality that the Australian focus is the same. They could have a few quality issues..... i guess we will just have to wait and see. But im sure ford have high quality control, so they probably wont have problems.
That's true mate but don't speculate on something like that if it doesn't have a sound reason to base your argument upon. We'd have to wait and see how good the first Mercedes Maybach was if it had never been built before, but we can't assume it won't be. Blaming South Africa does't work is all I was saying as the new VW Golf is a solid little unit, it's all in the engineering.
Old 22-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Im just saying that the UK cars are not built at the same plant, so you cant assume they would be the same. They could be, and they might not be. Like you said, we will just have to wait and see. I wasnt blaming South Africa. Was purely saying that driving a Focus in UK doesnt mean its going to be identical here! But it COULD be

Old 22-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I'd recommend a Zetec manual in Magnum Grey (DAAAAMN sexy dark dark silver that perfects the new Focus shape) with a nice dark grey leather installed by your local leather shop..
I to like the dark grey, but my partner has always wanted a black car. Hopefully a Zetec in Black will look the business. I just wish I could find a picture of one in black or dark grey. Most likely I'll have one of our designers mock one up for me.

If we can get a custom leather interior for $1500k I'm sure we'll do it. I'll speak to my dealer about it and see how we go. I got the impression somthing like this would cost around $3k.
Old 22-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
besides the fact that Ford may own Hertz it still would not be a sensible business decision to use a car that requires frequent time off the road for repairs and servicing, hence I do not think Hertz would use a broken Ford as a hire car for its customers....
What Ford has frequent time off the road? A Focus? The US Focus had some issues, but when I was in the US you could still hire them from Hertz. In AU, we got the same LR Focus as the UK... and as Matt has said, it has one of the highest satisfaction ratings and reliability ratings. Have a look at JD Powers or BBC Top Gear reviews if you want the proof.

I'm puzzled by such comments. The VWs that I've owned and experienced had much more serious concerns than this Ford.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #17
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
If we can get a custom leather interior for $1500k I'm sure we'll do it. I'll speak to my dealer about it and see how we go. I got the impression somthing like this would cost around $3k.
Ford got a full custom leather interior done in our ill-fated BA XR6 (front and rear door inserts, front and rear seats, XR embroidery) for 2 grand, in Sydney, so if you are paying more than that, I'd be asking why.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #18
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the new UK models are actually built in Spain.

So ours being built in South Africa is probably better ........
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #19
MADDER
FF.com.au SAAB Driver

I’m happy to say that the Focus has not recently been the quality devil I was led to think it was, and that has been backed up by quality and reliability ratings in the UK. But that is after ironing out of early problems and given we got the car here later, the Australian delivered Focus would benefit from the same quality for which the UK cars have been praised in recent times

My reasoning for my belief stated earlier was reading of a major UK car buyer’s guide that mentioned that there had been a variety of quality issues, particularly in the early years of manufacture. A quick search of the recall list in the UK verifies that there have been 9 recalls on the Focus but predominantly in the early years 99-00 SEE HERE . I was also looking into getting an ST170 last year but problems with Forum members cars both here and on UK forums made me think twice.

North American Focii issues are another thing all together…

Also I do not have specific issues with the cars being built in South Africa as they have a long and illustrious car manufacturing history. I believe the same line that builds the Focus has also been building the Mazda and Volvo cars for some time already. What does concern me is that the S.A. manufactured Focus for Australian delivery has only very, very recently been through a hefty quality validation and sign-off. I hope for Ford’s sake, as well as the early customers, that they have not taken any shortcuts to get them out here as the cars hitting the dealers will be some of the very first off the S.A. line.

Please do not take me as being unfairly pessimistic or biased towards the Focus or S.A. in any way, I am just being cautious and realistic that early units from any plant are sometimes compromised. A word to the wise is all.

I will say that inspecting the Focii first hand at the MMS I was very impressed as was Mrs Madder. I have been waiting impatiently for their release here and am very happy that the media reports have been unanimously positive. Pity about the lack of curtain airbags though. Maybe the next generation.

Now = 2006 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi with Heated Seats
MADDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
WASP
Whipple Induced

Thanks Madder,

Buying one so early is a small concern for me. I have done this a few times in the past ( Series 1 AU XR8 & our Land Rover). Boths cars had issues unfortunately, but my 2004 model XR8 had none what so ever. Even my RZ Supra is the first series of that shape, but problems have been relatively minor.

I'd consider a run out model Focus, but my partner doesn't like them, plus there too small in the back seat. I've been told the new model is larger there which is one of the reasons why we are looking at. The only other car she likes is a Mazda 6 hatch, but for the same money as a new Zetec I would only get a high km base model which does not appeal to me.

Oh well fingers crossed.
Old 24-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #21
WASP
Whipple Induced

Well I drove the other car we are considering for my partner this morning. A Mazda 6. It's more money than the Zetec and to be honest I was expecting to be more impressed with it. It's actually a nice car..sort of like a Camry, but with much better looks. The whole centre console area looked a little like a gameboy console and did little for either of us both. The ride was nice, but wasn't as crisp and refined as I would have thought it would be. There was a bit of road noise as well but that’s no big deal..

Engine response was laggy down low, but much better once you were moving. The clutch take up was very high and the brakes grabbed high as well which was a little annoying. All up it was a nice car, but felt tinny and not as refined as I imagined. The design is starting to look dated now but there is a slightly newer model on the way. If we bought one however it would a run out model.

I should be driving the Focus next week and at the moment I’m leaning towards that option. I’m expecting the ride to be much better to be honest and the design (exterior and interior) to present fresher. Fingers crossed!
Old 24-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You won't be disappointed with the new Focus, I'll bet my shirt on it!!
Old 24-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You won't be disappointed with the new Focus, I'll bet my shirt on it!!
If its a fancy Ford Aus business Shirt, I will put $5 on the outcome ;)

Im sold even without driving one............... Whats even stranger, the wife is sold as well Now if i can only convince her to get a manual!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If you buy a Focus, I'll give you the shirt I'm wearing in my Ford GT shots, only available to Ford employees. It's a pit-crew style shirt, size L with snap buttons. I've got 2 I'll make sure I wash it though...
Old 28-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #25
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
If you buy a Focus, I'll give you the shirt I'm wearing in my Ford GT shots, only available to Ford employees. It's a pit-crew style shirt, size L with snap buttons. I've got 2 I'll make sure I wash it though...
Lol...thank you very much for the offer (and vote of confidence). Still waiting for a damn test drive!!! One isn't available yet and I need to make an order soon. May have to order one regardless subject to the drive and partner approval. Wife is now torn between the gun metal grey and black.
Old 28-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #26
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
What Ford has frequent time off the road? A Focus? The US Focus had some issues, but when I was in the US you could still hire them from Hertz. In AU, we got the same LR Focus as the UK... and as Matt has said, it has one of the highest satisfaction ratings and reliability ratings. Have a look at JD Powers or BBC Top Gear reviews if you want the proof.

I'm puzzled by such comments. The VWs that I've owned and experienced had much more serious concerns than this Ford.
um, that what my point if you read my comment in the context of earlier posts.
Old 28-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Lol...thank you very much for the offer (and vote of confidence). Still waiting for a damn test drive!!! One isn't available yet and I need to make an order soon. May have to order one regardless subject to the drive and partner approval. Wife is now torn between the gun metal grey and black.
Ha ha ha I'll win yet!! GO the Magnum Grey! Had the MkI been out in Magnum Grey I'd have simply chosen my numberplates, the rest would have been no questions asked manual in Magnum Grey.

You can always purchase with a condition being "Subject to Test Drive and availability" enabling you to not go ahead if you are disappointed. I doubt you will be!

Photos of Knocker1's Ghia from the UK, courtesy of www.ffoc.co.uk (direct link to thread here
Old 28-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #28
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sorry for the big pics, but damn she's a honey of a colour.
Old 28-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #29
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Sorry for the big pics, but damn she's a honey of a colour.
Thanks for the pics Zetec, they will be very helpful when I show the wife. Shame we don't get that model here (Hatch-Ghia) as I would say it would be her preference. For me however I'm looking forward to the Zetec actually.
Old 28-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #30
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No worries mate, the only differences are ride height (our Zetec is lower than that a little) and we also get the bodykit here that they don't get, our colour coded kit. Looks lower again. Very tasty.