Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fixing blocked exhaust

My fuel consumption has been higher for months and the exhaust "warbles" at certain revs, almost sounds like a V8. I've finally got some time and $ to fix my exhaust, so...

Should I replace the cat first ($130ish on ebay) ... (I undid my exhaust manifold at least 3 or 4 times, wedging a box under the cat to hold up the exhaust connection, so I wouldn't be surprised if I damaged it)
OR
Replace everything past the cat first? ($230+ on ebay)
OR
Try the middle muffler first, then go from there?

Budget is still limited (my wife has written off two cars in the past 9 months!!!!) so I'd rather not have to do everything past the manifold.

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fixing blocked exhaust

Hmm, maybe I didn't give enough info. Regulars may remember mention of it from several months ago. Basically, the exhaust makes more noise (deeper grumbling, not a misfire), and it seems to be running hotter (can smell "hot metal" from the engine bay vicinity after a reasonable trip)

So it could be a blocked cat, or the cat bits have all gone further down and blocked the mufflers. I can't find my non contact thermo to compare in and out temps of the cat and mufflers.

I guess replacing the cat would be a good start, since if it's shattered there could be potential for more crap to come out of the existing one? Or would a blocked muffler be likely to damage the new cat?
Old 27-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

It would be unlikely the muffler or a pipe is blocked unless they've been hit... pretty unusual to block a cat too, normally they just decrease in emission performance or the matrix physically collapses, if so it will rattle heaps.
Have you checked the whole system for physical damage?
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a thread from 7 months ago (lol, has it really been that long)

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11352056
Old 28-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it where myself i would replace the cat, they have been known to block up on occasions, my mate had on go bad, it caused him untold grief trying to fix weird engine behavior, he probably replaced a lot of his fuel system twice over and ignition system (lpg included), you could always do the mufflers at down the track.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

cats can melt internally and partially or completely block.

Get it checked out first before doing anything else ... it's common on these things for them to either block or blow out.

If it has blown out pieces ... these chunks can then block up downstream mufflers if the chunks are large enough ... had something similar happen in my Territory ... luckily the bits could be shaken out of that muffler and it was able to be reused.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post