Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
jt-1994

Default rough feeling clutch

Just wondering if anyone has expirianced this when pushing the clutch pedal it feels rough as if its getting caught somewhere. whats stranger is the higher the engine revs are the rougher the pedal feels even when stationary. Ive changed the clutch cable aswell as checking the firewall for cracks, any help would be great

jt-1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: rough feeling clutch

I'm not to good with mechanical stuff, so my explanation may not be the best. I had a similar problem with the clutch in my AU2 XR8; it was heavy, felt like something was getting caught somewhere, and had a crunchy/brittle feeling to it at certain points in the rev range. I ended up getting the clutch replaced, as well as the clutch cable. This made the clutch pedal much lighter and more responsive. However, that bad sensation was still there. There were no issues with the firewall or pedal box, so we were perplexed.

Just recently my father in law pulled a cover off the transmission in an effort to spray some WD40 on what we thought was a squeaky thrust bearing. It ended up being something else, but the extra lubrication has made the bad sensation in the clutch pedal go away. It's a joy to drive now.

I hope this dodgy explanation helps!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

start the engine, select neutral, hand brake on engage clutch a couple of times............. rough grindey feel ????

switch off engine, engage clutch ....... oh baby .......smooth ....... no more grindey ???
if this is the case it might be time for a clutch kit, if it grinds all the time it may be something else like a fraid cable or something else or both..
commonly what happens is as the clutch gets miles on it, amongst other things that wear , the fingers on the pressure plate wear, giving a grinding sensation as the throw out bearing slides across the fingers, in cars of old you could easily fix this for a while with a simple dab grease on the end of a big screw driver swiped onto the throw out bearing face or fingers of the pressure plate,
through the inspection plate or the clutch fork hole, i`m not sure if thats possible on these modern henrys, i don't believe so(happy to be proven wrong).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Inspection plate! That's what my FIL pulled off. There's not much room to maneuver in there though.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep bit of a squeeze sometimes, but with a bit of perseverance you can sometimes do the job.
Old 15-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
jt-1994

Yep if the car is on the clutch is rough but as soon as I turn it off its smooth again ive also noticed it only becomes rough as the car warms up whereas first thing in the morning for a few minutes its still smooth. Ill try the inspection plate and see if that works for the time being thanks for the ideas guys
Old 15-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
jt-1994

Where abouts is the plate located roughly?
Old 16-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry mate have not been near a manual au, not even sure they have access.