Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
hhaannkkyy

Default Help to Diagnose WT Fiesta

Hi guys,

Thanks for checking in!! I wanted to see if any of you guys could please help explain the pictures below? I had a look under my Fiesta this morning and I am pretty sure the engine or gearbox has a leak that has spread on to the rest of the car behind the leak - maybe it happens when the car is in motion? From what I can see there is two areas which look to be leaking and the metal in front of the leak is relatively clean in comparison. Like I said I don't know what part of the engine or maybe gearbox it is so help identifying it would be great. It looks like engine oil to me because its dark brown. I haven't taken it to ford yet, I will be, I wanted to get some info on it first before I do. Its a 2011 WT Fiesta with the 6 Speed Auto so it still has warranty left. It has only been parked in this position since yesterday afternoon.

Apologies for the quick shots from my phone.

Thanks

hhaannkkyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: Help to Diagnose WT Fiesta

Take a few more shots to show Ford if they become dismissive and just take your car there asap. I wouldn't muck around.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Fez WQ

They will fix that no probs. I had the same leak on my WP they fixed it with out an issue.... Its kind of like a free oil change for the gear box and engine LOL

Ford will fix it for you! No stress

I have found with my last 13 new car I have bought that if they are going to leak oil they do it very soon after purchase. And I have never had a problem with having then fix for free by the dealer ..... Just recently I bought a Hyundai santa fe the sump leaked and they fix it no issue
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
brydie76
Moff-fan

As said above, will be no worries to fix. Worst case scenario you may need to leave it there for 24 hours to allow it to "exhibit symptoms" (ie leave a nice oily mark on the ground). My dad had a similar thing happen with his Golf recently, they picked it up in the service as ruined oil seals or something (wasn't really listening). Fixed under warranty no hassles.

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
hhaannkkyy

Thanks guys, the car is one year old this week and it has done about 39,000 km. I did a bit of googling and found a couple of posts on the fiesta faction forum with leaks in the same area with the cause being the rear seal. These are Mexican built Fiestas though and not Thai. I don't know if that is part of the gearbox or the engine as the leak is between where they meet up. Apparently some engines and gearboxes have been replaced over there but I assume Ford AU would know the correct fix by now.

I will try and drop into ford sometime on Monday and see what they want to do.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Often it's a seal on new cars ... have seen the same thing with Transmission seals on a couple of Mitsubishi's ... easily replaced under warranty.
Old 28-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
hhaannkkyy

Just an update, dropped into Ford this avo and they were pretty good considering I haven't been to this particular dealership before. They had a look and said they are not too sure as the leak is coming from between the engine and gearbox. They said they would probably have to take the two apart to diagnose. So they want me to come back in, in a week, so they can have another look at it. I assume because they cleaned all the oil away that they want to see how much it leaks in a week. They did mention and my impression is that it is likey to be a rear main seal. If that's the case what is usually involved with fixing a rear main seal? Does anyone know? I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Old 28-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Fez WQ

I had the rear main seal leak on my WP almost the same engine, they fixed it no probs. saying that they did do it twice, first time they must have pinched the gasket when bolting it back together. Free oil change anyway cannot hurt the car :-). The seal issue here is a common area for leaking on any car.
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
hhaannkkyy

Sweet that's cool then - the guys in the US really seemed to make a big deal out of it with the replacement of gearboxes and engine... Let's hope Ford make the fix a smooth process.