Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Default stupid canary reasons

a mate of mine got a canary for having no water in the washer tank and a sticker on the front windscreen that aparently distorts the wiper and would make it impossible to see out the windscreen apparently and a loose emissions pipe, which was put back on after it was pointed out. for this he got a major defective and a $550 fine.... has anyone else got any stories of coppers handing out these for minor or insignificant things..?

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

if the pricks are having a bad day, they could probably give you a canary even if you just brought your car from the showroom...

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai
I have heard of people getting done for air fresheners hanging from the rear vision mirror. It's pure madness.
They are allowed to fine for such things as air fresheners and crystals hanging there but didn't realise they could give you a defect sticker????

I have been pulled over on many occasions but they never really say much about the crystal hanging (a few have just said its nice) :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In SA it used to be a requirement that tinted windows had a little sticker on each window with tinting film on it.
I was driving along in my old HZ one day, that attracted more than its share of police attention, and got pulled over and defected for no stickers on tinted windows. At the time, I didn't know about said stickers..
Drove straight to a tint shop, explained the situation. He said hang on, disappered out back, returned and asked which car. I pointed to the HZ, he climbed in and fitted a sticker to each window, no charge.
Drove to the cop shop and had defect lifted. What a WOFTAM.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about 40 cars at car show in Hervey Bay last year,all very nice and safe machines with far superior brakes and stuff,just stickered the whole lot for rediculous reasons.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
a mate of mine got a canary for having no water in the washer tank
But don't you need operational washers for the vehicle to be roadworthy?
Press the button and no water comes out for whatever reason - not roadworthy - end of story...
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

damn thats one F*** up reason to get a fine ...
mate of mine was pulled over and fined because his cars too good to be on the road and distracts other road users............... lol and same stupid excuses your cars to lowered even though a can passes through under the car and saying to him im defecting your vechile to ruin your night !!! now thats F*** again............. getting pulled over for painting the car flames "sold it"............... all could think for now ..
as for me damn i've been lucky ..... touch the wood although i play it by the rules
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Can be defected for an oil stain on your engine as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If you have an old car thats run out of reg sitting on ya nature-strip out front of ya house , then you better move it onto your front lawn , because they can slap a canary on it for that too ! .
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
BJ
Banned

Quote:
NO water = unroadworthy car.

Quote:
a sticker on the front windscreen that apparently distorts the wiper and would make it impossible to see out the windscreen
The law states that there is to be nothing with in 20cm of the wipers arch which again makes your mates car unroadworthy.

Quote:
and a loose emissions pipe, which was put back on after it was pointed out
Again an unroadworthy item which shows lack of maintenance

Quote:
for this he got a major defective and a $550 fine
From the sounds of it he was lucky thats all he got.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
chalkys1966
Fly Boy

the list of minor defects you can be 'yellow canaried' for is endless. sadly theres still lots of obviously defective cars that get away with it and dont get caught. thats why i support 12 month RWC here in victoria but others will disagree. dont forget to fill that water in your washer bottle ing_sm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-car.jpg (11.1 KB, 53 views)
chalkys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I got done for factory foglights on my old trasher lanos "sports".. comes with foggies that turn on with the headlights, but they defected me for it.. ? i've heard of the law against turning on foglights during the day or whatever but this was FACTORY.. the car was dirt stock when this happened.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
tick5.0
Want some classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Can be defected for an oil stain on your engine as well.
Got done for that in a datto I had. The head had been of the week before and I hadn't retensioned it yet. There was a tiny weep from the rocker cover in an otherwise very tidy bay. But four cops going over your car for half an hour you have to expect them to be picky......
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #14
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite often the cops may want to originally give you a nasty but it really comes down to your attitude with them.....
If you dont get narky or sarcastic they will often just warn you.. well, thats been my experience anyway (and no, I dont believe it has anything to do with being female)
:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by senifx
I got done for factory foglights on my old trasher lanos "sports".. comes with foggies that turn on with the headlights, but they defected me for it.. ? i've heard of the law against turning on foglights during the day or whatever but this was FACTORY.. the car was dirt stock when this happened.
It may be stock, but auxiliary lights should have a separate switch so they can operate independantly of the headlights - and what is the point of fog lights that can't operate without the headlights - that's plain dumb...
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I been done twice by the same bloke,1st time cracked grommet in firewall,second time after not bein able to find anything tells me to open the boot,before it was even open 4inches he says "I can smell fuel,close it" then laughs as he gives me the red, If there's a next time he's gettin a red himself, I need a holiday anyway lol
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Quote:

NO water = unroadworthy car.

Quote:
a sticker on the front windscreen that apparently distorts the wiper and would make it impossible to see out the windscreen

The law states that there is to be nothing with in 20cm of the wipers arch which again makes your mates car unroadworthy.

Quote:
and a loose emissions pipe, which was put back on after it was pointed out

Again an unroadworthy item which shows lack of maintenance

Quote:
for this he got a major defective and a $550 fine

From the sounds of it he was lucky thats all he got..
mate, i was going to type.....virtually word for word, exactly what you've said here...

sure it sounds a bit harsh, but the car WASNT roadworthy with those defects...... he should cop it on the chin and get on with life
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a mate of mine got a canary for having no water in the washer tank and a sticker on the front windscreen that aparently distorts the wiper and would make it impossible to see out the windscreen apparently and a loose emissions pipe, which was put back on after it was pointed out. for this he got a major defective and a $550 fine.... has anyone else got any stories of coppers handing out these for minor or insignificant things..?
maybe your mate needs to read the laws of roaddworthy cars. No sympathy here at all.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #19
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC-Cruiser
It may be stock, but auxiliary lights should have a separate switch so they can operate independantly of the headlights - and what is the point of fog lights that can't operate without the headlights - that's plain dumb...
No idea man that's how I bought it from the dealership.. previously owned by an older lady (had service history etc) so doubt it was aftermarket.. but could've been, who knows. It had no switches at all.. you turn on headlights, the foggies came on too. They were built into the front spoiler too not bolt-on jobbies.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #20
AmmoJammo
Banned

heres my list...

lowered suspension
all lights to operate, reflectors to be correct
all tyres to be correct
anti-pollution equipment has been removed
battery insecure
oil dripping on roadway
noisy exhaust

now, what sort of reasons are those!!!

HAHAHA!!!
AmmoJammo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #21
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

I've seen a B double which rolled into a table drain get stuck with one. It was been obivious it wasn't in a drivable condition

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]

Last edited by BA Bakes; 01-03-2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: i can't type for crap
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #22
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Only when the person they have pulled over is a *****.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #23
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
heres my list...

lowered suspension
all lights to operate, reflectors to be correct
all tyres to be correct
anti-pollution equipment has been removed
battery insecure
oil dripping on roadway
noisy exhaust

now, what sort of reasons are those!!!

HAHAHA!!!
hehehehe :hihi:
Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Quite often the cops may want to originally give you a nasty but it really comes down to your attitude with them.....
If you dont get narky or sarcastic they will often just warn you.. well, thats been my experience anyway (and no, I dont believe it has anything to do with being female)
:
100% agree here, while you may feel like jumpin out of your car and grabbin their big torches and snapping it over their heads it is just easier and cheaper to agree with whatever they are sayin. for example last week i was pulled over for an RBT(wasnt very random as they stopped every car) and the female officer seen out the corner of her eye that my rego sticker was out of date of which i grabbed out my piece of paper that said i had paid for it and was waiting on another sticker to turn up in the mail. she said that cause i had that sticker on there she could give me a fine (which i didnt know being on my p's) to which i said that i was goin to remove the sticker once i got the new one. she said thats what most people say and let me off with a warning and she took my sticker.
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #25
BJ
Banned

How many people do you see driving around with not just there new rego sticker on there car but all of the old ones as well, what most people don't no is that is a $100 fine per old sticker. I had i friend who dad tried to get them right around the windscreen until he got a $900 fine.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #26
BIGBIRD
GO ON GIVE IT SOME!!

Dumbest thing I got a canary for wasnt even in my car, it was in my mums EF Fairmont, its a stock standard thing, kept in really immac condition. Anyway the rear left brake light wasnt working (the middle and right one were working fine) so the copper gives me a MAJOR yes MAJOR defect!! I informed him it was my mums car and his response was "the reason im giving you a major is to make sure you get it fixed.. you wouldnt want your mum rear endend and the possibility of getting seriously hurt do you?"
Even vicroads couldnt believe what the defect was for when my mother got it cleared!
BIGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #27
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About a year and half ago my missus and i got up after a work dinner the night before and we went to get McDonalds in our VN SS. We drove in the car park and there wasa police officer talking to a motorbiker with L's. WE got out the car locked it and started to go in when we heard a horn beep. Turned around it was the police officer. He says "just by looking at that car i can tell it is to low". I told him is was standard hieght which it was. He said "Don't make me get my tape measure out or i'll defect you, go home and fix it". I said sure no worries. Two weeks later missus was driving home from gym at night when all the sudden police lights behind her. It was the same officer! He started looking over the car and got underneath it with his torch. "it's to low i told you to fix it now your defected". Being her pride and joy went into hysterics and told him it was not too low. He got out his tape measure, which was...... a note book. According to him the note books police carry around are specially calibrated tools for determining if a vehicle is to low!!!! To cut an already long story short, we went through regency park to remove defect and all we had to do was remove tint from to front side windows. Like so many a complete [U]WOFTAM[/U].
Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #28
honer
Back to N/A land

GLOVE BOX LIGHT

Make sure that works if your in Perth ! Else you'll get canary !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #29
chalkys1966
Fly Boy

TE3_351 your story is typical. police are given carte blanche powers to put a car off the road for whatever reason they see fit. when you go to the professional mechanic to fix the 'defect' it may turn out not to be a defect. VicRoads are frustrated by such police who exercise their arbutrary power too much. the power basically goes to their heads.... my advice if you are upset by such an orificer write to the local head (usually a senior sgt in most areas) and get THEM investigated. use the system against the ones abusing it :
chalkys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #30
buickman
buickman

I wonder was your mate involved with any illegal activity or mouthy when he received the fine. As I have been pulled over with a unengineered car & only got a defect notice & a caution. The officer was blunt & correct in his advise & I was polite in answering his & his offsider's questions
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post