Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Default licence suspensions in SA

so im on my Ps. that gives me 4 points.

i lost 1 dermit point for speeding last year and a few weeks ago i got another speeding fine.

i was 15kms over according to the camera which just bumps me into the 3 dermit point bracket.

im going to pay the fine tomorrow as its my last week to do so.

what can i expect after that and the dermit points take effect? i imagine something will be sent out to me?

i read on the transport SA website about a 12month good behavior period as an alternative to disqualification. will i be eligible for that?

i rely on my car for TAFE, my apprencticeship and work. what kind of time frame without driving should i expect before an appeal or good behavior period can be organised?

no DUIs or any other offences. speed cameras both incidents.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could get 1 point on good behaviour on your P's but if you lose it I think you may get a longer disqualifacation period.
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I'm not sure about the good bahavior thing.
The time it takes for them to catch up with you and send you the 'hand in your licence' notice can vary a lot.

If you desperately need your car you can appeal. It'll cost about $80 plus some other fees.

You could probably talk to a lawyer?
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
FordFan86
meow

I can tell you from experience (and if you'd bothered to read the hand book or search for yourself) 15k is 5 k over 10 k, 10k over the limit is a breach of your P plate conditions, forget the demerit points. You WILL be disqualified from driving (for 3 months atleast IF I recal correctly) You need to 'appeal' it, ie, get an *** kissing letter from TAFE lecturer and your employer stating you need the car for work and there is no public transport available at the times you work, or it would greatly inconvenience your employer, tafe studies etc..
You need to go to a court to do this... you will then get a set date, judge gets your letters, you say sorry.. listen to him etc etc. You will still be able to drive between now and the court date and if you do get your licence back expect about a 2 year extension on your P's and the thought of knowing that if you stuff up ONCE during that period you'll be 110% screwed.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

You don't lose demerit points when you commit an offence, you gain them. A demerit is a black mark against you, and you are allowed to attract 4 demerits before you have your licence suspended on your P's.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
I can tell you from experience (and if you'd bothered to read the hand book or search for yourself) 15k is 5 k over 10 k, 10k over the limit is a breach of your P plate conditions, forget the demerit points. You WILL be disqualified from driving (for 3 months atleast IF I recal correctly) You need to 'appeal' it, ie, get an *** kissing letter from TAFE lecturer and your employer stating you need the car for work and there is no public transport available at the times you work, or it would greatly inconvenience your employer, tafe studies etc..
You need to go to a court to do this... you will then get a set date, judge gets your letters, you say sorry.. listen to him etc etc. You will still be able to drive between now and the court date and if you do get your licence back expect about a 2 year extension on your P's and the thought of knowing that if you stuff up ONCE during that period you'll be 110% screwed.
Wiser words were never spoken... point for point spot on!
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
I can tell you from experience (and if you'd bothered to read the hand book or search for yourself) 15k is 5 k over 10 k, 10k over the limit is a breach of your P plate conditions, forget the demerit points. You WILL be disqualified from driving (for 3 months atleast IF I recal correctly)
i was done 17 over and lost 3 points... is that 10k over rule just for vic?

thank f**k i dont have s**ty p plates anymore.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Exactly what he said!!! Breach of probationary conditions... date with local magistrate to appeal... which i think costs around $50?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Exactly what he said!!! Breach of probationary conditions... date with local magistrate to appeal... which i think costs around $50?
I think it was about $80ish...
Been awhile since yours now hasn't it... ;)
ALSO a breach of coniditions (ie; bye bye licence)
Blow even 0.000000001 (exaggerated..) on a bretho
Being done at over 100k, even if it is signed at 110, tho, ADR xx (is it an ADR or just a rule?? someone have the number??) Allows 10% for speedo error, simple maths 10% of 100... a little ambiguous that one.
Not displaying both P plates....

Last edited by FordFan86; 01-03-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Dont speed to start with, then you wont have this issue, pretty simple.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know here in Tassie a few years ago that you were able to have a work license where you can drive to and from work but no where else, dont know if it still exists or its just Tassie.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hhhmmmmm, you're about to lose your licence for multiple speeding offences, and you've started another thread about insurance for under 25's 'cos you're about to mod your car. Hhmmm, I think I'll stay off the road until the results of your court day. lol : :

I hope you get it back, 'cos you're the young generation of Ford drivers. But in all honesty, if a magistrate gave you 1 point, it would be pretty soft.

Good luck though mate, just remember that although you think you know it all, you've got f-all driving experience. Don't go killing yourself.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
15k is 5 k over 10 k, 10k over the limit is a breach of your P plate conditions
my first offence was 11k over which going by what you said there is a breach of P plate conditions. however i received 1 demerit point. either way ill be disqualified if its your way or by points.

wokkas im not modding my car i was just interested as there seems to be quite a few young drivers that are driving powerful cars.

mygto5 thats not helpful whats done is done.

i dont have much of an issue sitting out the 3 months if thats what it turns out to be.

now everyone thinks of me as some kind of "multiple speeding offence guy"
the first time was an accident and the second was not half as bad as some stuff you see on the roads everyday i merely gave it some juice from the line and passed through hidden camera further down. now who can honestly say they have never been speeding?

anyway time to face the music cause i shouldnt have done it.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

I'd be expecting to be offered the option of either the 3 months suspension or the 12 month good behaviour (1point).

Taking the 12 months option means you'll have to be Mr Road Rules for not only 12 months, but also for the extended period you'll be back on your p's (I should say we all should be no matter what your licence).

Having a letter from a tafe lecturer would be a good idea, but depending on the judge it may not be necessary. I know in some instances the courts have awarded work licences which are only valid to and from work, but I don' think this would apply to tafe studies.

Just think how bad it is for the fools that get done over 45 over the limit or drink drive here in SA. Loss of licence straight away, they don't get time to work out how to get to work etc....

Good luck aussie falcon, hope it works out for you. I know how much not having a licence can stuff you around.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

cheerz jeff :
Old 02-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
I think it was about $80ish...
Been awhile since yours now hasn't it... ;)
ALSO a breach of coniditions (ie; bye bye licence)
Blow even 0.000000001 (exaggerated..) on a bretho
Being done at over 100k, even if it is signed at 110, tho, ADR xx (is it an ADR or just a rule?? someone have the number??) Allows 10% for speedo error, simple maths 10% of 100... a little ambiguous that one.
Not displaying both P plates....
They don't like telling you, but a P-plater can blow up to 0.02 before you get nicked.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
They don't like telling you, but a P-plater can blow up to 0.02 before you get nicked.
From what I last read not in SA.
Zero tolerance.
EDIT:
From transport SA.
-must not drive a motor vehicle or attempt to put a motor vehicle in motion on a road while there is any concentration of alcohol in the blood
-must carry licence at all times while driving a motor vehicle
-must not incur 2 or more demerit points (Must have changed since the P1 and P2 system came in as it was 4 points.)
-is not able to occupy a seat in a vehicle next to a learner driver.

Also found this:
If a driver is disqualified they will be subject to the new conditions in effect at the time they re-apply.

Which means:
A person disqualified and cancelled while holding a Provisional Licence is reissued with a provisional licence once they are eligible to resume driving. A P1 licence will be issued and must be held for a minimum of 2 years. The person will then be issued with a P2 licence which must be held for a minimum of 6 months.

Good luck with it anyway.

Last edited by FordFan86; 02-03-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #18
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Actually... I think the ZERO tolerance was brought in with the P1 P2 system.

I forget about that new system.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

far as i know it has always been zero tolerance in SA at least for P Platers.

i was speaking to a friend yesterday and i found out she lost her P's from ONE speeding offence. She said all she had to do was pay extra money at the rego office to have her P's extended and 1 point restored.