Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
coolozzieguy

Angry Yes, another speed camera thread, with a twist...

Hello all, (love the new banner BTW!)

Long time lurker, first time poster, sorry for the long post so please be gentle

I am not normally a 'keyboard warrior' but need some assistance on an issue from those who may have more knowledge on Mobile Speed Cameras than myself.
Yesterday afternoon my brother notified me of a mobile speed camera around the corner from my parents house in a residential 50kmp/h zone, that appeared to be placed in a laughable position to cause issue (on a downhill section of rd.)

Anyway, picture this scenario:

Upon driving past and clearing the speed camera on the down hill side (at approx. 40-45kmp\h) I returned to the rear of the car and parked (legally) well behind it (50m or so, maybe more as to not obscure the view of the car) and exited the vehicle, in order to take a photo to show a friend. As I started the walk to the rear of the car to take the rear view pic (link below) the camera operator came out of the car and started abusing me saying I was parked wrongly and 'disrupting the flow of traffic,' and that I need to 'get back in my car or there will be trouble.' I informed him that I was not 'disrupting the flow of traffic' in any way, said nothing more (whilst still copping much heated rhetoric from the operator,) took my one photo, and got back into my car. I put my phone away, belted up and drove off in the up hill direction towards the camera car. I checked my speed, which I deliberately kept steady between 40-45Kmp/h, and upon driving past, looked in my rear-view mirror and saw the death-flash!! (the flash is on the ground on a bag\small box in front of the car) quickly double checked my speed again, and was doing the same (SO I KNOW I AM INNOCENT.) There were no other cars on either side or anywhere in the vicinity (this is not a busy road.) To say I was shocked is an understatement!
Downhill Link

After calming down a little, I parked in a court nearby, and walked back to the up hill side of the car, and took the down hill looking shot (also below) and observed the situation for a few minutes. Some cars went past on the up hill, and many of them at a much slower speed than me, and they did not get flashed. Conversely, many people got flashed on the down hill who appeared to be going much faster than the posted speed limit of 50kmp/h.
Uphill Link

I have checked my speedo in the last week or so using two different GPS's and as usual, my speedo is between 3-5kmp/h higher than my actual speed, so at most I was doing somewhere between 37-42kmp/h, and know my speedo is somewhat accurate.

So the questions for those more knowledgeable than myself who may be able to help:

1) Are mobile camera operators able to (as I suspect) trigger 'flash only' in a manual or a 'flash test' scenario? (just to mess with me on this occasion)

2) What is the current law or 'guideline' on mobile cameras on hills? I ask this because all the mobile speed cameras I have passed on hills are usually facing the down hill direction, and the fronts of the cars are on blocks\ramps to make the car more level (the road is much steeper and longer than the picture depicts.) I am south of the border (down Mexico way) and we have had mobile cameras for the last 15-20 years and the 'guidelines' seem to change slightly from time to time.

3) If I have been flashed for real (keeping in mind I was doing less than the speed limit if the camera is wrongly calibrated\positioned) and I do get an 'alleged infringement notice' in the mail, how long does it roughly take to arrive so I can challenge it?

Some facts: I am 27 in March, had my licence two days after I turned 18 (so 8-9ish years) and have a perfect driving record with no accidents, traffic infringements, or parking fines.

I also never approached the car or the camera operator, made threatening gestures, language, etc. even though the operator seemed to, and was never closer than the pics define.

And not to sound too harsh to the naysayers in my first post, but as I know my speedo's reading and know I am innocent, I don't believe I should 'man up' and 'just pay the fine.'

This post is not intended as a debate on the benfits or not of speed cameras, and I am not asking how to get out of the fine (I know I am innocent and wasn't speeding) just asking for some advice.

Anyway, off to work now, so apologies if I don't reply straight away, and apologies again for the long post, and the quality of the pics are low as I forgot to crank the quality up from 1Mp for sending some MMS's during the week.

Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I believe I read somewhere that every 10 cars or so get a flash, cant remember the reasoning though, sorry.

Im my old ute I got flashed from a van parked in some trees. I didnt get a fine and rightly so as I know i was not speeding.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say it has something to do with the fact you took a photo of the camera car

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

What is concerning to me is that the camera operator is able to trigger the flash and/or camera of his own accord! The fact that the OP took a photo of the camera car is irrelevant. The camera car is parked on public land (illegally mind you) and as such, can be photographed.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I would say it has something to do with the fact you took a photo of the camera car
More than likely, but will he get an infringement?
If youve annoyed the blokes it wouldnt surprise me if they could have just set off the flash to make you worry.

Longest first post ive seen btw
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't worry about it until you get something in the post, he was probably just messing with ya.

Keep a note of dates & times and the photo's you took just in case.

You could always lay a complaint regarding his attitude and explain the situation just to get a head start.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Messing with you.....

Similar scenario when I was a youngun... I tooted at a camera and he flashed me... I stopped and after about 30min he admitted that I wasn't going to get a ticket! Even showed me how the setup worked....
Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
What is concerning to me is that the camera operator is able to trigger the flash and/or camera of his own accord! The fact that the OP took a photo of the camera car is irrelevant. The camera car is parked on public land (illegally mind you) and as such, can be photographed.
I don't know the law surrounding this incident,or the ins and outs of where these operators can or can't park, or wether you can or can't legally take a photo of law enforcers in the course of doing their job, so will not comment, other than to say I have read here from others how the camera flash can be operated manually, and often is, for calibration etc.
I would be inclined to think the operator may be just jerking your chain.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I don't know the law surrounding this incident,or the ins and outs of where these operators can or can't park, or wether you can or can't legally take a photo of law enforcers in the course of doing their job, so will not comment, other than to say I have read here from others how the camera flash can be operated manually, and often is, for calibration etc.
I would be inclined to think the operator may be just jerking your chain.
A camera operator is not a law enforcement officer, he is an employee of a contractor.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

Nice road for a powerskid, should have removed the plates and....

Yeah these people if you could call them that can manually trigger the flash and camera... I got flashed once traveling towards a camera @3am on my bike, far ken nearly crashed it, did a lap of the block as I was going to show him what he could do with his flash, then lost interest decided to just buzz the tower instead......
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
A camera operator is not a law enforcement officer, he is an employee of a contractor.
My bad; like I said, I don't know the law, but I think you know what I was getting at.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
351EL

Quote:
In Queensland they are still police officers for now.
They can also photograph the front of cars so if they see you not wearing a seatbelt or using a mobile phone they can manually operate the camera.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
My bad; like I said, I don't know the law, but I think you know what I was getting at.
That I do zd.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351EL
In Queensland they are still police officers for now.
They can also photograph the front of cars so if they see you not wearing a seatbelt or using a mobile phone they can manually operate the camera.
In Victoria, the camera cars are manned by the contractors' employees. Police officers still wield the LiDAR guns though.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool re speed cameras

a couple of years back I was driving the truck and dog
and was told on the CB about a speed camera
so I cruised past at 70 in an 80 zone and was flashed
so I turned around and went back and knocked on the door
of the camera van and asked whats going on
he told me he does a calibration shot every tenth pic
so all was good
and yes they are still cops in QLD running the mobiles
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Hahaha seems old mate was just having a play with ya.

Either way, shouldn’t matter where the flash for cash is...Don’t speed...and don’t do things that’ll peeve the pork off!

I got flashed once doing about 75 in a 60 zone...never got a fine hmmm

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

i would of park my car out of view of the operator and walk down the footpath to take your photo.

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wether you think they deserve it or not, these blokes probably cop more than a bit of abuse, and i would think they would take a snap of a potential troublemaker just in case something happens down the track and put a note on it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have actually had this happen to me, was going 47 in a 60 zone because I could see them clearly, next thing you know I get a flash.

Now I am a calm cheerful person most of the time but this just made my blood boil.

I think I scared the poor cop half to death because I went up from the blind side and knocked very loudly on the window of the van.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: "What was that?! I know I was going below the speed limit and you still flashed me"
Cop: "Yeah you were actually doing 47, you were my unlucky calibration test subject"

He then went on to explain (very calmly and professionally might I add) that every hour or so they need to recalibrate the thing to ensure accuracy etc.

Not sure if it was all bollocks or not, as with many things like speed cameras, the hoon list etc, I think it's a case of 'what happens in the force, stays in the force' .
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

1) The operator can set off the flash without issuing a fine. Probably just wanted to give you a scare.

2) In Qld the camera's are mounted on jigs inside the car to ensure they are level with the road.

3) I've noticed 2 speed camera's illegally parked, And those camera's were manned by highly trained serving members of the QPS. So yeah they can get their set up wrong from time to time.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
Scott

He's messing with you.

A few years ago I was trundling along in one of my cars that happened to have driving lights on it that lit up like the Southern Aurora. As I drove along a dark stretch of road I saw a van parked on the side so I hit the lights and just about nailed the poor bugger to the back wall of his van.

He flipped me the bird and then flashed me as I passed. I never got a ticket, never thought I would get a ticket and as far as I'm concerned, there was never a reason to get a ticket.

The main thing to note in this story is that I got a bloody good laugh out of it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
XWGT