Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Default Opinions on my car purchase?

Hi all, I'm currently 20 turning 21 in june, and a carpentry apprentice(4th year). As you can see in my signature i have a ba sedan atm but as im completing my apprenticeship soon i'll be needing a ute for work duties. Now this is where it gets tricky for me. I'd like to trade my current car in NOW on a BRAND NEW XR50T ute but because of my age i will be unable to drive it. So i'd like to know everyones opinions on what i should do:

Option 1: Do what i want now, which is trade my car very soon, pay some cash and also get a loan towards a new ute. But in doing this like i said i wont be able to drive it until june, so i'd have to spend a small amount of money on a beater for a few months to get around. I also should add that i'm pretty sure ill be able to drive the ute for work purposes only as vicroads can give exemptions on high powered vehicles for work purposes. In doing this option id obviously loose money on interest and two regos.

Option 2: I try to contain my excitement and wait until june to get a year old one. If i did this id have about 16 grand in savings + the trade in of my car. So id be getting a smaller loan and saving on interest.

With option 1 i'd obviously get a bit more trade in for my car but lose on interest. Option 2 less trade in but more savings and no interest. The reason this decision is so difficult is because i'd really like to buy new to show my support for Ford but it'd probably make me loose slightly between buying next year secondhand.
I will probably get laughed at by a few, because the question is slightly stupid lol but i'd like to know what you'd all do in my position.

all hit me if you like

cheers kev

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post