Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default do ford sales guys get trained on all models?

as per title, do car sales guys/girls get trained on all models they sell?

just wondering as i dropped into my local ford dealer this arvo to look at a FG xr6t they had on the lot. i thought it was a used car but it was new so it was no good for me, but back to topic.

as said i was looking at a xr6t, then noticed 2 other xr6's in the colours i'm trying to choose between (black and purple) sitting side by side so i went for a look.

the sales dude found me at this point and asked what i was looking at/how much i wanted to spend. told him $35k for a 1-2 year old xr6t and that i was trying to decide on a colour (purple/black). he then asked if it had to be a turbo as he has a new xr6 50th anniversary in the showroom. it was N/A not turbo, manual, white and $38k

when i told him it had to be turbo he advised me that the 3 year old models had 230/240kw not 270kw like the new ones. this was because all fg's have the f6 motor in them, and the f6's have been tuned to get 310kw. i asked about the intercooler end tanks being plastic on new ones, he said it didn't matter as they could handle the standard boost and even a bit more. he proceeded to tell me the dealer could wind the boost up to 6 pounds, as opposed to the factory 4 pounds but the police don't like them doing it as the cars are too fast and you will void your warranty.

when i got home my wife reminded me that we ran into the same dude when looking at territory's and he didn't know much about them either

so is it possible that this guy only knows about focus's or is he in the wrong profession

-tim
wow, longest post i've made

sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the poluce? how has the police got anything to do with the dealer uprating turbo pressure which voids the warranty???

sounds like an idiot to me...

i dont understand why he was trying to explain that older models had less power when your looking for an FG anyway(?) which had the 270kw.

i'd say wrong profession.... he's meant to know about the whole range of ford products...
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

This guy sounds a bit dumb. Three years ago it was BF, and the XRturbos had 245Kw. And the FG XR6T's don't have the BF typhoon motor in them, they make the same power yeah, but different torque. It wasn't a swap over, lots of bits are different.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Should have slapped him around the chops and written www.fordforums.com.au on a piece of paper with the instructions "read me" on it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

He's a salesman, he told you what he thought might get a deal done.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True, FG XR6T/G6ET is quite different to BF F6.

Main thing is Ford went for a smaller turbo for the FG to minimise lag.

Only the peak power (270) is similar.

FG F6 still uses the larger turbo.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would`nt surprise me if they got some sort of ford brochure showing improvements to the latest models, i worked at a holden dealer as a young bloke for about a year , they used to get video`s showing improvents to their models on occasions(and also trying to discredit ford).
you would think it is in the salesmans best interest to know as much as possible and sell more cars / get more commision, i doubt the training bit .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You have the wrong thread title.... It should have been "do ford sales guys get trained ?"
Old 15-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I have found us AFF people know 80% more about the Fords than 80% of the salesman.
Cant blame the Salesman totaly for lack of knowledge, just lack of enthusiasm

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salesmen arent trained great. You dont have to be qualified to be one, just need the gift of the gab. I have a few mates who graduated year 12 with me last year, and they are at very reputable dealerships.

Im sure they have some sort of training, but ultimatly there not spending there penny's and cant be relied on, its best doing your research and doing it dam well to get the best out of your own hard earned.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The training we have available from Ford is actually very good, however it is up to the dealership and salespeople to use it.

It is true however, you have to have the passion to sell them as well.
Old 15-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can provide all the training in the world, but if the salesperson you are training doesn't care or is just stupid you have wasted your time.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

When I bought my F6 the saleman had no idea about the car.... all he could tell me was that it was quick. When we were driving I was asking questions to answers I already knew just to see if he was going to B/S me..... in the end he said he would have to find out.

When we got back he went into the managers/FPV office and asked the questions I wanted to know.... came out told me the answers which he didn't B/S about and then smiled when he worked out that I already knew the answer. Said something that he should have been asking me the questions.

But is saying that he didn't try to pull the wool over my eye's and made it clear that he really only dealt with non-FPV Fords.
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
+1 to this. More than likely he wont know any more than you do about the car and if anything he will know less.
They just do what it takes to get the sale.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Being Enthusiastic about product/service should be first pre-requisite. Either when hiring or apply for the job.

Guess it was dealers loss for not hiring me.... lol
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

my brother had issues when he bought his FG XR6T. The salesperson (manager included) convinced him he couldn't get the red seats as an option anymore. Eventually when it was already too late, I convinced my brother to ring Ford themselves and they told him it was possible. Too little too late, cause the car had already made it through the factory with the plain black seats. Another thing, they almost convinced him the premium audio with colour screen was not an option. Bloody silly idiots. No wonder ford loses so many sales.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
my brother had issues when he bought his FG XR6T. The salesperson (manager included) convinced him he couldn't get the red seats as an option anymore. Eventually when it was already too late, I convinced my brother to ring Ford themselves and they told him it was possible. Too little too late, cause the car had already made it through the factory with the plain black seats. Another thing, they almost convinced him the premium audio with colour screen was not an option. Bloody silly idiots. No wonder ford loses so many sales.
Do you mean red seats or red stitching?
Old 15-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Do you mean red seats or red stitching?
yeah the red stitching. They knew what he was after, but they said it was no longer available as an option because Ford pulled it as an option. They eventually got a serving from Ford themselves, and gave my brother an apology and threw a few more accessories into the deal for free.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

seems ford has actually pulled this as an option now? so everyone has to get the black seats?
Old 15-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
bs-ing potential customers or flat out lying is not a good way to make happy customers.

just tell them what they want to hear til you get their name on the dotted line and it's too late... hmm great business model.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Falcman0o7
Banned

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

No.....
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
JimNiki
71Mach1

The Ford sales reps are the face of the company, the first point of contact.
If they aren't fussed about learning about the products they are paid to sell, then that's just a direct reflection on Ford themselves. No excuses ...

I have a very low daily BS intake and when salesreps start with it, it won't take me long to leave and go elsewhere...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
fords35to75
No plastic bumpers

I worked at a Ford dealership for seven years in the '80s and have been at a non Ford dealership for the past 13 years in a sales related role and am passionate about both the product and the job. I am also committed to providing the best service possible to my customers however the problem is that each manufacturer now has so many model derivatives that it is virtually impossible for a salesperson to remember everything about every product in the range, especially the low volume sellers that they are not dealing with every day. My policy is not to ******** the customer but admit if I don't know the answer and commit to find out and get back to them as soon as possible. As far as training by the manufacturer goes, this is pretty non existant in any franchise except at launch of a new product or model upgrade, it is then up to the dealers to provide training for their staff.
fords35to75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post