Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Living Overseas: Anyone done it?

Hi guys

As of next week I will no longer be calling Australia home!
I'll moving to Edinburgh, Scotland for the next 3 or so years.

Having never traveled to the UK before or lived overseas, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have taken the plunge and lived anywhere overseas for an extended period of time.

What was your experience?
Any tips/tricks you gathered while overseas?
Any regrets? Would you do it again?

Cheers!

saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Living Overseas: Anyone done it?

6 years in London!.
I presume you have a job and appropriate visas. What Line of work takes you to Edinburgh (great city By the way)
Trains are a great way to travel around the country and Europe. Airfares are cheap (against London wages)
Its cold and dark and Lacking decent sunlight for much of the year. If you start feeling Depressed get SAD light and travel to spain or North of Africa during European winter.
Travel as much as you can and take in the history and vibrancy of populated areas.
Good luck

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
Hi guys

As of next week I will no longer be calling Australia home!
I'll moving to Edinburgh, Scotland for the next 3 or so years.

Having never traveled to the UK before or lived overseas, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have taken the plunge and lived anywhere overseas for an extended period of time.

What was your experience?
Any tips/tricks you gathered while overseas?
Any regrets? Would you do it again?

Cheers!
Haven't 'lived' overseas but been away for extended periods of time country hopping. Longest single trip was 10 months.

My advice based on 3 years:

* Sell off all you can. Storage for bulk items will cost a mint.
* Store valuables / personal items in large plastic tubs, then seal the lid with tape. Cardboard boxes are a big no no. Leave them somewhere where you are CERTAIN they will be left sitting untouched till you return.
* Speak to an accountant / tax office about what happens come tax time.
* Get important documents certified by an international certification authority. When I got mine done they were 'Apostilled'. Aint cheap, but may be needed.
* I would perhaps arrange a 'power of attorney' with a very trusted family member who can fully act on your behalf for you while away.
* Take as little as possible.
* Investigate the different visas you may need and understand them fully.
* If you don't have family there, try and arrange local contacts to show you around etc. Friends of friends etc.
* Read up on their history / local lingo and customs.
* Know where your local Consulate / Embassy is.
* Hit the net, look for job sites / forums / groups dedicated to foreigners living in the UK or even Scotland. They will save you a ton of time finding info the hard / long way.

Whats the nature of your trip? Got a job lined up? Family there inviting you over? Just want a change? Base for travel?

Was about to move to Korea till I met my better half. Had pretty much already did all of my suggestions after having no fixed address for any extended period of time while I was still working out what to do with myself. Would have done it, loved it and certainly not regretted it!

The great news is, the better half has also entertained the thought of moving there for a few years if we ever get tired of the 'same old same old' of Sydney.

Actually, I'm sure we have a Forum member who is in Scotland with a BA / BF ute if memory serves???????

Have fun!

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lived in Fife (50 mile from Edinburgh) for a while back in the 90's, loved it.

Make sure you got thick curtains for summer to keep out the light, not many hours of darkness.

Heaps to see and do within easy reach of Edinburgh.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
6 years in London!.
I presume you have a job and appropriate visas. What Line of work takes you to Edinburgh (great city By the way)
Trains are a great way to travel around the country and Europe. Airfares are cheap (against London wages)
Its cold and dark and Lacking decent sunlight for much of the year. If you start feeling Depressed get SAD light and travel to spain or North of Africa during European winter.
Travel as much as you can and take in the history and vibrancy of populated areas.
Good luck

JP
Yep spot on. Job (internal transfer) and visa have been approved. Working in the buildings/construction field. Plenty of work on (supposedly!)

I'll definitely travel as much as I can. Unsure which website list cheap airfare deals (any recommendations), but I can definitely see myself heading across to Spain/Italy/France/Germany/Czech republic when the right deals come up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

* Speak to an accountant / tax office about what happens come tax time.
* Get important documents certified by an international certification authority. When I got mine done they were 'Apostilled'. Aint cheap, but may be needed.
* I would perhaps arrange a 'power of attorney' with a very trusted family member who can fully act on your behalf for you while away.
* Take as little as possible.
* Investigate the different visas you may need and understand them fully.
* If you don't have family there, try and arrange local contacts to show you around etc. Friends of friends etc.
* Read up on their history / local lingo and customs.
* Know where your local Consulate / Embassy is.
* Hit the net, look for job sites / forums / groups dedicated to foreigners living in the UK or even Scotland. They will save you a ton of time finding info the hard / long way.

Have fun!

Jason
Thanks for the list mate! Haven't considered some of those points....especially the one concerning tax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Lived in Fife (50 mile from Edinburgh) for a while back in the 90's, loved it.

Make sure you got thick curtains for summer to keep out the light, not many hours of darkness.

Heaps to see and do within easy reach of Edinburgh.
Living in Fyfe, how did you get around? I'm seriously considering purchasing a £1000 cheapie (Ford of course ) and driving the nuts off it while I'm there. Fuel might be a pain though...coming from someone who's only owned LPG powered cars

Where are the decent/not so decent areas of Edinburgh to live in?
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm living and working overseas right now... Nearly seven years in Singapore.
Has been extremely rewarding from a professional and financial perspective.
As has been mentioned, make sure you speak to your accountant before you leave in regards to tax benefits, especially if you have property in Oz you'll be renting out while you're away.

From a personal perspective, I'm now closer to my family than ever before; don't take them for granted as you don't know what you've got till they're gone.
Also, really miss the simple things in life, like fishing, mowing the lawn, etc and am really looking forward to moving back to Perth finally at the end of June.

When I left Perth in 2007, I was single with no dependents. I'll be returning a married man with a young son and another on the way!
It was the greatest thing I ever did and has put me years ahead.
For family reasons we're moving back, but if the right opportunity ever came up again, I'd do it all over again for sure.

Good luck with your adventure, you won't regret it at all...!
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I spent 2 days in Broadmeadows once, that just about counts as living in another country.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
creative
I am Batman

scotland?

My only advise... take a winter coat! Its bloody cold up there!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Living in Fyfe, how did you get around? I'm seriously considering purchasing a £1000 cheapie (Ford of course ) and driving the nuts off it while I'm there. Fuel might be a pain though...coming from someone who's only owned LPG powered cars

I was a tight arsed backpacker so didn't buy a car, just used public transport or borrowed a work vehicle. If I did it again I would buy a cheap car no question.

Stockbridge, Leith, Portobello, Musselburgh, Morningside, Newington, Brunsfield are top places.

I'm sure there are rubbish areas but I never came across them, but we are talking about Edinburgh not Glasgow.

Edinburgh always rates as one of the best places to live in UK.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

take plenty of warm clothes and if you like scotch whisky you'll be in heaven
Old 31-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm seriously considering purchasing a £1000 cheapie (Ford of course ) and driving the nuts off it while I'm there. Fuel might be a pain though...coming from someone who's only owned LPG powered cars

Public transport is pretty good in most UK cities of certain size and are usually small enough to walk around to and from the inner part and have enough residential mixed with work in the centers so walking is viable. Cycling just as easy and the largest growing form of transport a few years ago, all but some of the old town roads are suitable for cycling if not too steep. (cobbles)
Cars are dirt cheap, youll be amazed at how cheap they are for what you get, well we were! However get a UK License or Insurance will be too expensive. I was quoted 3K to Comprehensively insure a 700 pound car garaged in London.
Came down to 800 pounds with the UK License (transfer your current one over) In my experience most Insurance companies wouldn't accept prior insurance in Australia so you will be starting again as a new driver (risk)
Other thing to consider is bringing one back with you. If you own and use it for a year before you leave, apply to import it you can bring a good car back here very cheaply. I have one of only 3 or 4 of it's type in Australia for a total of 2K landed (including purchase price)
If Edinburgh is Like other UK cities you will need to apply to a Doctor to be on their books to be treated. cant just call on up and get to see one. The NHS is very good, reciprocal rights for Visa'ed Aussies, but you are limited to who you can see for free, or you can pay for private doctor.
Do you have a bank account over there. If not try HSBC here, transfer some money and it will be waiting for you over there. It can be difficult to get a flat/house/rental without a bank and a bank account without an address. Will need an address for mobile sim cards etc.
Most Flats in London are fully furnished, and I assume are similar throughout the UK with most of the basics. If you are renting make sure they put your bond into one of the few accredited trusts. Some landlords like here, are ******.
Join a local sports team or similar an get to know locals rather than just work colleagues.
Don't eat deep fried Pizza or Mars bars...just wrong!

Justin
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stayed on Phillip Island a few times for the Christmas holidays
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
dirtyclevo

I lived in sunnybank, brisbane for 2 yrs. didn't like living in china so i moved
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Get onto 1st Contact to help set you up with a UK bank account and NI number.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I'm living overseas now ! Home was Hamilton NZ..
Take plenty of warm clothes .. It's bloody cold there !
Rain and cold winds..
Skype etc keeps you in contact with back home ..
All the best.. Keep in touch ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This advice was based on Edinburgh 18 months ago. Granton Harbour and along to Leith were cheap rent due to too many units getting built and a drop in the economy. Good local pubs, Starbank and Chain pier. One bus to cbd and after a night out only a ten pound cab ride home. Be a little sensible after dark, but that goes for most cities. I agree with the others on taking a coat, when I left at the end of May it was still 6 degrees with a wind chill of 1 degree.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Did a 6 year stint in London.

You will love it overseas. Take advantage of the cheap airfares and see Europe and North Africa.

Get ready to pay a TV License fee!

PS: I owned a car whilst stationed overseas. Was not as expensive to insure as made out above. Garaged in Central London with an Australian Drivers License.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post