Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
big_pete
Sublime

Default Photography Section?

just a question,
is this section (the Photoshop, Art & Render section) considered the 'Photography Section' of AFF????

as there seems to be NO photography work shown in this section. i think it would be worthwhile creating a proper Photography section, as i know there are ALOT of photography enthusiasts on the site that probably would use the section alot more than this one. (maybe they arent sure what this place is about)
im only a beginner at Photography and i think a specified section for photography would be great for those more experienced to share there knowledge and their photos.

what do you guys think??

Last edited by big_pete; 01-10-2005 at 01:26 PM.
big_pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I second that
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
jed67
mustang 1967

great idea!! Photo section would be Good
jed67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I know this has been aired a few times already,and being quite interested in moving to the next level in photography I'll take it up further with others. Being predominantly a 'car based' forum I can see it meeting with a certain degree of resistance as there are other forums out there that are run by experts with a HUGE number of members with a whole lot of talent that can provide more precise support.(A few suggestions Fredmiranda, DPChallenge, DPreview - all have a LOT of members on there & are run by the pros, though are still suprisingly open & willing to help out all genuinely interested people)
I don't see the harm in starting the occasional thread up in the photoshop, or bar sections to discuss issues related to photography though. photoshop IS a BIIIG part of modern day photography post processing, so photography is logically at home right in here. There's a number of quite handy shooters on aff, guys whose shots Ive taken inspiration from over the time(& would hope Ive managed to provide some of that spark myself - can only hope I guess)
If there's anything people would like to know, suggestions / ideas / techniques etc, toss em up in here in the short term & we'll see how it goes.

BP - I've seen a LOT of ya chop work, but not much of your photographs... I'm sure interested in seein what ya got, & seein if I can return a bit o the help youve given ME...

Last edited by wulos; 01-10-2005 at 11:45 AM.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

This would prob have a higher impact being placed in the site support forums where more people will see it.
I'll move it there....
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I wouldnt mind a photography section of the forum. Sure, as wulos said there are other resources that could be used for this purpose. But having said that I dont mind a photography section here because it would be great for critiquing and getting advice. I recently posted a photo based thread and had to think where it would or should go. I had option of posting it in the general section as it is general automotive, or it could go in the bar as it was photographic in nature, it could have gone in the show and shine as it was photographic of cars, it could have gone in the photoshop art render as well for its artistic merit.

So, it is not clear cut where to put threads that are purely photography based.

I know a similar thread came up about computer support section and I voted against that idea. I think this is different because the computer support idea is secondary to cars where as a photography section could serve to improve all our skills in photographing our pride and joy.

I guess the question is, is the current lineup of sections covering the photography needs of its users adequately. Personally i dont think so.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Following on from the above, the photochop art render place could remain virtually unchanged as most of the content in there is about photochoping etc. My feeling is a thread based purely on photographic skills etc would get lost in the photoshop section. The new section would be purely photographic in nature and hence the photography contests that are in the photoshop art render section could be moved to a new more fitting home.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.

Last edited by Black XR6; 01-10-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
big_pete
Sublime

i think a different section would definately help the Photography contest alot.
it seems the photochoppin part of that section had really taken over from anything else that is put in there (which is fine) and a seperate section would make those contenst as big as the photochop ones

i dont see much of a problem if we had another section, even if it is located inside (as a subdivision of) the photochop area.
its not like people will come on this site solely (sp?) to go to a photography section, more of an added bonus that entices us ford fans to join in..

or failing that maybe just a name change for the photoshop section that tells people that its a photography section aswell
(but i think the above would be better )
Old 01-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not sure. I am big into photography myself but this is a car forum.
Keep the discussion going. We will take it all on board.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're trying to keep admin/mods busy...
It would be good to see some photography, personally i'm no good at it but its good to see what others can do. My only question is, are we talkin about photos of cars or other stuff aswell? 'cause if it is just other stuff, i don't think there is a place for it on a car forum.. just my 2 cents worth
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
My only question is, are we talkin about photos of cars or other stuff aswell? 'cause if it is just other stuff, i don't think there is a place for it on a car forum.. just my 2 cents worth
i guess your right, but i think with the large amount of people interested in Photography it wouldnt be so outta place on this site.

maybe a poll in the bar would be the best to see if it would actually get used and if others think its a good idea......?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

It would have to be predominantly about car photography, that way it keeps its relevance to FF. Also, sure there are plenty of other photography websites to go post on if you want. But why send your community elsewhere? This is a community built around all our love of Ford. I dont see why the community members should be told to go elsewhere to discuss something that can easily be discussed here and relates to the FF.

For starters, other photography sites will be more hardcore, will be more about other makes than ford, will be less friendly for members here, will not be this community. There are nearly 9000 members here so lets try and keep em here.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I know I would use it, as I have a camera that is capable of some creative work and I have often thought of getting it out and doing some shots (albeit old style with film). The problem is I do not really know what I am doing so it would be good if I had somewhere to source some help.
It has my vote!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #14
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have renamed the Photoshop section to include Photography. Feel free to discuss photography in general as well as photoshopping etc.
We will watch and see how it goes. If it takes off then we may consider a different section.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #15
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Fair enough. But im still of the opinion the photoshop art render section is just too busy with photoshop stuff for it to be effective photography section. Hence it might not take off.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Fair enough. But im still of the opinion the photoshop art render section is just too busy with photoshop stuff for it to be effective photography section. Hence it might not take off.
maybe.. it's a start though.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
It's up to the photographers then to put as much into the forum as the choppers do

I'll do my part, as soon as my new camera arrives.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #18
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody damn good idea, I say.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post