Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default April Sales - Falc up 24%

Well this is just a report but I assume Ratt will be able to provide us with all the figures.

A quick look
- Local Toyota sales down by 50%
- Falcon up by 24%
- Toyota sales down by 37%
- Holden down by 23%
- Ford down by 17%
- Mitsubishi down by 37%
- Honda down by 30%
- Mazda and Nissan down by 24%
- Hyundai up by 12%
- Territory sold 635 units, a drop of 40%

Quote:
Toyota plant under pressure as sales dive

* Richard Blackburn
* May 5, 2009

THE slump in new car sales worsened dramatically in April, with local manufacturer Toyota worst hit by falling demand.

Sales of Toyota's Camry and Aurion sedans, which are built in Melbourne, were down about 50 per cent on a year earlier.

The result puts increasing pressure on Toyota's Altona manufacturing plant, which competes with seven other Camry plants around the world, including low-cost ones recently set up in China and Russia.

When the current Camry and Aurion models were launched in 2006, Toyota forecast combined local sales of about 4500 a month. Last month they sold only about 2000.

However, the plant has been a successful exporter, with about 100,000 cars sent offshore last year. It is also due to begin production of a low-emissions hybrid Camry from next year.

While there has been no serious talk of the plant being under threat of closure, further poor local sales figures could bring it under scrutiny from Toyota head office in Japan.

Official figures for last month won't be released until later today, but most top-selling brands have recorded bigger drops in sales than they did in the first quarter of the year.

Sales were down by roughly 20 per cent in the first three months of the year, but preliminary figures obtained by The Age suggest total April sales could be down by as much as 25 per cent.

Toyota's sales fell 37 per cent compared with April last year, Holden sales were down by 23 per cent and Ford 17 per cent.

Mitsubishi (down 37 per cent) and Honda (down 30 per cent) have also been hard hit, while Mazda and Nissan both dropped 24 per cent. The one bright spot was the performance of value Korean brand Hyundai, which recorded a 12 per cent increase in sales.

Of the other locally made cars, Ford's Territory off-roader continued its dramatic slide, with just 635 sold in April, a drop of 40 per cent on the same month last year.

The Ford Falcon was the only bright spot for the locals, up 24 per cent on last year, although sales were half what they were five years ago and about 1000 units shy of its main rival, the Holden Commodore.

The results will put increasing pressure on the Federal Government to introduce a "scrappage scheme", which offers financial incentives to people to scrap old cars for newer models.

The scheme has been introduced in Germany with spectacular success, prompting the British Government to follow suit last month.

To date, Australia has not considered a similar scheme, preferring to offer a 30 per cent tax rebate to small businesses that buy company cars before the end of the financial year.

But legislation for the scheme is yet to be passed, and car dealers claim buyers are holding off until the rebate is confirmed. This is unlikely to happen before the middle of June, just two weeks before the scheme is due to end.

The chief executive of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, Andrew McKellar, said yesterday there was a case for the tax rebate period to be extended past the June 30 deadline.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

April last year saw the Falcon sell 1884 Falcons, so that would mean about:

Falcon 2336
Commodore 3336
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

Falcon 2336
Commodore 3336
That was during the BF to FG change over no??? So not much point comparing those numbers year on year really. Interesting to see Toyota hurting so much....its ironic that a company known for private sales is now so clealry fleet based. Camry is a fleet hack these days, pure and simple. Aurion isn't very competitive either. If Ford can poach fleet sales (with the new emissions/fuel consump. numbers) and keep the private sales of up spec falcons then its looking pretty good.

I'd like to see the full report to see how the rest of ford's lineup did also....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
That was during the BF to FG change over no???
I still believe the BFII was getting sold. But going off last years thread it may have been supply of Fords that cause low sales then.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see the falcon improving

Interesting point about the scrappage scheme. I wonder what the effect that scheme would have in OZ. I'd hate to see it be responsible for the destruction of any classics, say an XY falcon for example.

But if it got rid of all the old run of the mill, road going, fridge or washing machine type cars then that would be a good thing. I also wonder if reducing the amount of older cars on the road it may even have the effect of improving resale value of those that remain?
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont like the scrappage idea. Wouldnt it make resale worse? Would they scrap lots of cars that dont need scrapping just because they arent worth much? I'd rather be in a 200,000km EF Fairmont than a new Kia Rio? And I'd be much safer, can tow, can be on gas and cheaper to run than a kia rio...

Dont get it.

Isnt it better to not have new cars, and keep well maintained cars? Better for the environment not to be keeping factories busy.

I wonder if the air pollution has taken a turn for the better in this last year due to less production of everything?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

newer cars run cleaner... plus we need the sale of newer cars to keep these car companies around... if no one buys new cars.. why would a company want to sell them?

but an interesting point about factory emissions tho...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The whole point of a scrappage scheme is to support the car industry, nothing more. Getting people into safer, less polluting cars is simply a convenient (and worthwhile) side-effect of the scheme which is the basis governments here and there use to spruik it to the masses.

Germany's scrappage scheme has certainly come in for some criticism, especially in regard to the cost of the scheme and the 'misdirected' money to people who were going to buy a new car anyway, regardless of the scheme.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New cars are perceived as being less polluting, but thats not counting the pollution to build that car. Unless you drive the new car for 30years, it wont come out infront inregards to pollution.
Bit like building a new home produces 3 times more pollution than renovating/extending an old home, yet cost is similar.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The scrappage scheme is a great idea.. but it would have to be scrutinised pretty hard, which would be easily done by making sure cars over 10 years old had to have an inspection every 12 months, by a government body and not by some dodgy mechanic who writes out a roadworthy certificate!

QLD sucks in this regard, the amount of dodgy roadworthys done up here is amazing.... pay the right fool the right money and you can get any car registered you want.

If you can keep your car roadworthy then I would think it shouldnt fall into this trap, but any car that isnt roadworthy, should be scraped...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Oh and with regard to falcon Sales incrase.. last year tihs time was hard coz Ford were in change over mode between BF / FG, plus many people were waiting..

As for SY Territory drop, Ford hasnt been building that many lately... Now that SYII is on the way we should see it go back up to 900 + units a month, there are a few preorders apparently...
Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
New cars are perceived as being less polluting, but thats not counting the pollution to build that car. Unless you drive the new car for 30years, it wont come out infront inregards to pollution.
Bit like building a new home produces 3 times more pollution than renovating/extending an old home, yet cost is similar.
errmmm okay.. there was probably more polution to build a car in the 70's then there is now.. specially since manufacturers are concious of this today, and werent back then...

We live in a throw away society.. Theres not alot of people who actually look after their things today... people drive cars till they break, then go buy another one and do it all again... :
Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Bit of an update

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0505-ate0.html

Quote:
Vehicles sales slump in April
May 5, 2009 - 12:24PM

April vehicle sales have dropped almost 24 per cent compared to the same month last year, with the market continuing to feel the impact of the economic downturn.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) said on Tuesday 63,965 new cars and trucks were retailed last month, down 23.9 per cent, from 84,061 in the same month last year.

The slide left sales over the first four months of 2009 down by 20.3 per cent at 276,935.

The FCAI said Toyota was the top selling company in April with 13,033 vehicles ahead of Holden on 7,829 and Ford on 6,836.

The Holden Commodore was the top selling car with 3,177 retailed ahead of the Mazda 3 on 2,503.

© 2009 AAP
Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

3100 approx Commodore's sold last month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/2561227.htm
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Falcon 2336
Commodore 3336
So, the figures are about
Falcon 2336
C'Dore 3177

This is about 4:3 ratio. Much better than 2:1, but still not where Falcon deserves to be. Hopefully the latest ad campaign (anti-Toyota) can change that.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of things come to mind...

3200 for Commodore against ~2300 for Falcon. Even though Holden are literally throwing commodores out the door...

Overall difference of ~1000 vehicles between the 2 brands.

If Ford can gain some traction with their economy campaign and convert interest into sales for Fiesta, me thinks this 1000 units could disappear quite quickly.

When was the last time Ford outsold Holden?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Well this is just a report but I assume Ratt will be able to provide us with all the figures.

A quick look
- Local Toyota sales down by 50%
- Falcon up by 24%
- Toyota sales down by 37%
- Holden down by 23%
- Ford down by 17%
- Mitsubishi down by 37%
- Honda down by 30%
- Mazda and Nissan down by 24%
- Hyundai up by 12%
- Territory sold 635 units, a drop of 40%
Well, if Ford are down by 17% versus the 24% market. That is heartening. They are picking up market share! Fiesta & Falcon will be driving this IMO.

In fact, I can see Ford outselling Holden on a monthly basis by the end of the year. YTD we will be behind though.

Retrotech thread
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
In fact, I can see Ford outselling Holden on a monthly basis by the end of the year. YTD we will be behind though.
I doubt it, the fed government (also the SA government) is propping up Commodore sales, even if the car uses more fuel.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I doubt it, the fed government (also the SA government) is propping up Commodore sales, even if the car uses more fuel.
Burela is pushing Falcon really hard. The Hard sell from him is huge, and Falcon sales, in both private and fleet sales should start to increase. Whether this is sustainable is another matter, but we are seeing fleets move away from Toyota and back to Holden (and a lesser extent, Ford) at a dramatic rate. This can only be good.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Burela is pushing Falcon really hard. The Hard sell from him is huge, and Falcon sales, in both private and fleet sales should start to increase. Whether this is sustainable is another matter, but we are seeing fleets move away from Toyota and back to Holden (and a lesser extent, Ford) at a dramatic rate. This can only be good.

Ahh ok, I agree. But it still seems that Holden gets preferential treatment.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahh ok, I agree. But it still seems that Holden gets preferential treatment.
Yes, it is true. GMHolden do get preferential treatment. Paxton has correctly pointed out that Marin Burela is now pumping the 5star safety and Falcon's 9.9L/100km economy angle to fleets and governments.

My statement about Ford outselling GMHolden by years end is due to the fact that although the market is down. The monthly gap between GMHolden and Ford has narrowed from 3,000 to just 1,000. Ford is gaining market share (albeit marginal), but GMHolden (as is Toyota) is losing it. GMHolden has also stopped importing Astra too. So, once stocks dry up, there goes another 1,000 per month...

Uncertainty over the parent company GM is now possibly beginning to get noticed too.

Retrotech thread
Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
A couple of things come to mind...

3200 for Commodore against ~2300 for Falcon. Even though Holden are literally throwing commodores out the door...

Overall difference of ~1000 vehicles between the 2 brands.

If Ford can gain some traction with their economy campaign and convert interest into sales for Fiesta, me thinks this 1000 units could disappear quite quickly.

When was the last time Ford outsold Holden?
We're on the same wavelength

Retrotech thread
Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems Burela is about to start an aggressive sales period for Falcon and Territory. His words were to the lines of " How come we are number 3 when we are selling the best cars in Oz?" Some big changes ahead it would seem.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #24
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
It seems Burela is about to start an aggressive sales period for Falcon and Territory. His words were to the lines of " How come we are number 3 when we are selling the best cars in Oz?" Some big changes ahead it would seem.
Maybe because of past mentality that said "build the best car and it will sell" and then didn't put the same effort into marketing, a great product won't sell itself without a constant marketing campaign...even Coca Cola once dropped their advertising levels for a very short period and suffered a sales drop immediately. In more recent times BA outsold VY for a month and we all know how much better BA was over VY/VYII, however both company's were running at maximum capacity which is the best anyone could ask for and Holden simply had more production output with 2 and then 3 shifts while Ford was constrained by it's engine production capacity.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
The is exactly right. We have the best cars, so why be content with No.3? If they can profitably increase volume, then this would be great. Plug the holes in the model line-up.

Bringing in the Kuga compact SUV to replace Escape would also be another good move. Since sales are down in Europe, surely there is now spare capacity at that plant which was a reason to not bring it here before (oh and Gorman himself...). That could add an easy 400/mth.

Gorman rode the Polites re-invention right back into the ground. Thank god we've now got Burela. Someone, who is actually 'driven'.

Retrotech thread
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #26
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The is exactly right. We have the best cars, so why be content with No.3? If they can profitably increase volume, then this would be great. Plug the holes in the model line-up.

Bringing in the Kuga compact SUV to replace Escape would also be another good move. Since sales are down in Europe, surely there is now spare capacity at that plant which was a reason to not bring it here before (oh and Gorman himself...). That could add an easy 400/mth.

Gorman rode the Polites re-invention right back into the ground. Thank god we've now got Burela. Someone, who is actually 'driven'.
I think Gorman was a little too US-centric in his thinking. He worked on getting GRWD and other projects here (some he got, most he didn't) but as for local sales, he didn't pay enough attention. THe right products were coming in from europe so he got thar right, but the marketing (esp. falcon) was not as it shoudl have been. I don't think he really saw a long term future for local production, local design yes, but production no. I also don't think he was very well served by the second level management (part. marketing and sales) who he left in charge of day to day advertising.

Despite his stuff ups at least he got quality imported stuff in...unlike his counterparts at GMH at that time (daewoo anyone??)

As for Kuga, well i think we should have it ASAP. Pricing was always an issue as well as supply (its a niche player in europe anyway, not cheap compared to focus estate etc.) so FOrd would have to decontent and adjust the product a fair bit at the factory to get the spec right for a lineup in OZ. It was also manual only till recently, and only diesel too (5T engine out now i think). Maybe this is where the idea of a diesel only territory comes from ford going to a diesel only suv lineup as a point of difference?? I still dont' think that is likely though.

Looks good for an upswing later this year for ford though, particularly once the fleet sales burela is on about come online, plus renewed activity from private buyers...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #27
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

The SA government is definitely helping commodore sales, i read recently that premier Rann has ordered his fleet buyers to purchase commodore over camry/aurions to replace the old 380's
My poor XF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #28
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575AD001D9AED

Rank Make Sales % Share
1 Toyota 13,033 20.4%
2 Holden 7829 12.2%
3 Ford 6836 10.7%
4 Mazda 5121 8.0%
5 Hyundai 4136 6.5%
6 Nissan 3724 5.8%
7 Mitsubishi 3145 4.9%
8 Honda 3000 4.7%
9 Subaru 2999 4.7%
10 Volkswagen 2160 3.4%

Commodore sedans -3117
Utes-836
Falcon-2228
Utes-795
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Looks like an acceptable month for Ford, I do agree that we do need the Kuga here, the Escape is ancient and there is a huge market for this type of vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
The SA government is definitely helping commodore sales, i read recently that premier Rann has ordered his fleet buyers to purchase commodore over camry/aurions to replace the old 380's
Really you couldn't blame him for that, the Commodore is the only car built in his state, you would expect him to support it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #30
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The April total of 63,965 vehicle sales Lets look at that figure for a moment. If it were to continue at exactly that amount for 1 year 767,580 new cars sold in a 12 month period. over 3/4 of a million cars....our population is what? 22 million or something? So in a 12 month period 1 in 28.66 people in Australia buying a BRAND new car? Considering finance options on cars are between 3 - 7 years, why does this 'slump' surprise people?

On another note, that article doesnt have anything on fleet/government vehicles. I believe i read someone that 1/3 of holden sales are fleet/government. If thats true (depending on Ford fleet sales) then the 'best selling car in Australia' doesnt look THAT much better :
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post