Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
fordfalconfan

Default 'P' plater kills friend in V8 ute rollover

THE driver of a ute that rolled, killing one passenger and injuring three in the South-East on Sunday, has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving and fleeing the scene of the crash.

The Millicent man, 20, was yesterday also charged with drink-driving and causing injury by dangerous driving.

Police allege the man recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.09 eight hours after the crash. He was refused police bail and is expected to appear in the Mt Gambier Magistrates Court today.

A Millicent man, 18, died when the ute rolled on Rendelshem Rd, about 10km west of Millicent, at about 2.15am on Sunday. Three passengers were taken to Millicent Hospital, two with non-life threatening injuries and one with serious injuries.

Three of the ute's four passengers were in the tray.

SA had recorded only one death on the roads for the long weekend to 8pm yesterday.

The state's road toll stands at 62 following the latest fatality, compared with 37 at the same time last year.

_
_

I was friends with everyone one involved and the driver has already lost his license twice and is expected to go to jail for 15 years, the ute rolled and the man got flung out of the tray he landed on the road and died on impact and my other friend has a broken shoulder and the other passenger has a few scratches and bruises.... the driver and passenger in the front of the ute were fine but this isnt looking good for 'P' platers driving V8's what do you think about inexperienced drivers driving high performance cars ..in my opinion you can kill yourself in any car i would rather be in a crash in a big V8 falcon or commodore than be in a subaru or little 4 cylinder car like that those small cars just cant take a hit aswell.

fordfalconfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
GeoNazi
Banned

P Platers can't legally drive V8s in NSW,

I hate the whole issue about the motors and alike a 4 banger can kill at the same speeds as there bigger v8 or turbo contaparts
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id rather not be in an accident to begin with.. but this isnt an accident is it, is an act of gross stupidity with tragic consequences....
Its no wonder they're tightening up restrictions although this clown defied the law anyway.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Wouldn't of mattered what motor he had, or how fast he was going.
Nor would it matter whether he was a P plater or had 30 years driving experience.

He was drink driving.

What another tragic waste of life.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfalconfan
i would rather be in a crash in a big V8 falcon or commodore than be in a subaru or little 4 cylinder car like that those small cars just cant take a hit aswell.
I would sooner be in a late model small car with curtain airbags, crumple zones and side impact intrusion protection than a larger old tech V8 in a crash.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I would sooner be in a late model small car with curtain airbags, crumple zones and side impact intrusion protection than a larger old tech V8 in a crash.
What curtain airbags , crumple zones and side impact protection is there in the back of any ute? I dont see any in the back of a Jumbuck. A late model small ute.
All the safety devices in the world aint going to help you when your riding unrestrained in the back of a ute and the driver is drunk. People are in charge of their own destiny with the stupid decisions they make.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
From what I've seen... I agree! Give me crumple zones and airbags!

But what can you do about drunken immortality?

"Nah, that won't happen to me!"
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
What curtain airbags , crumple zones and side impact protection is there in the back of any ute? I dont see any in the back of a Jumbuck. A late model small ute.
All the safety devices in the world aint going to help you when your riding unrestrained in the back of a ute and the driver is drunk. People are in charge of their own destiny with the stupid decisions they make.
Do you think the people riding in the back of the ute may have been to the same function, and also drunk?

A lot of people made bad decisions here, I think.

Would you have accepted a ride in the back of a Jumbuck?
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh the driver did something stupid

but anyone think maybe after he did the stupid act he then started drinking

not defending anyone here but really 0.09 8 hours later means this guy must have been absolutely blind when he started the car.
i dont think the driver was drunk i just think the driver was an idiot. he should still be charged with being drunk though as well as everything else

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

lots and lots of people made errors here . but a licenced driver needs to be responsible when driving so it lies to him .
the fact that he'd had 2 indicators before though , means he is an idiot , and will cop the consequences . it's one thing being stupid , it's another being stupid repetitively.

oh and by the way . this has nothing to do with v8's . it has to do with utes .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is there to say he didn't have a few drinks after the accident?

I'm a 'P' Plater with a V8, just because you have a V8 doesn't mean you drive like a d*ckhead.... A majority do, but not all. IMHO All idiotic driving should be kept to organised OFF STREET events like StreetWarz in QLD (Legal off street burnnuts) and PowerCruise etc.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
gtfpv
GT

err fleeing the scene of an accident , when he was the driver with one deceased friend in his car , who cares if he was drinking . 15 years isn't enough .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
What is there to say he didn't have a few drinks after the accident?

I'm a 'P' Plater with a V8, just because you have a V8 doesn't mean you drive like a d*ckhead.... A majority do, but not all. IMHO All idiotic driving should be kept to organised OFF STREET events like StreetWarz in QLD (Legal off street burnnuts) and PowerCruise etc.
You would need to define idiotic driving. Is driving 10km/h under the limit in the RH lane considered idiotic?

To the OP - sorry about your mates, but any more than 2 in a ute (3 if it's a bench seat) is asking for trouble.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You would need to define idiotic driving. Is driving 10km/h under the limit in the RH lane considered idiotic?

To the OP - sorry about your mates, but any more than 2 in a ute (3 if it's a bench seat) is asking for trouble.
I meant excessive speeds, burnouts etc, 10k under in the RH Lane is just plain ignorance and stupidity
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
jambo_xr6

Good riddance to that idiot driver 15 years barely covers it. I've done some dumb things when I was younger but that is just beyond normal stupidity of normal people, same goes for the ones in the back. And who on earth flees the scene when one of your so called friends is dead and a couple others injured
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
oh and by the way . this has nothing to do with v8's . it has to do with utes .
no mate... this is to do with alcohol
the 'passengers' would have to have been blind drunk as well to get in the back of a ute with the driver ****ed off his head and hooning
this accident was caused by 50% stupidity, 50% alcohol
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
Thankfull
Banned

This sort of thing goes on every day in Australia......on this particular occasion an accident occured.
Young people will never change.....no matter how much you legislate....no matter how much you try to make them aware.

If you have kids that are starting to get to the age group where they want to attain their drivers licence.....as is the case in our Family.....parents try to make them aware.

I think the NSW Laws should be nation wide....P platers not allowed to drive V8s....agree with it or not, it is at least some kind of step in the direction to try and prevent tradagies like this....

Cheers all
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that it really has nothing to do with the car.

I'm a P plater, i drive a XR6 or an XR8 , depending on what keys i grab... Yet im forever being overtaken by people in Lasers , or little mazda's ... doing atleast 20km over the speed limit, and other V8 drivers do the same.

Cars dont kill people... Idiots drivers do.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

He'll get 15 years for sure. With a non parole period of say 12 months if he's lucky. Have his licence back in 2 years....................
Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
JOHNNOSF6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
He'll get 15 years for sure. With a non parole period of say 12 months if he's lucky. Have his licence back in 2 years....................
He'll get 6 with 4 on the bottem.
JOHNNOSF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
JOHNNOSF6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
This sort of thing goes on every day in Australia......on this particular occasion an accident occured.
Young people will never change.....no matter how much you legislate....no matter how much you try to make them aware.

If you have kids that are starting to get to the age group where they want to attain their drivers licence.....as is the case in our Family.....parents try to make them aware.

I think the NSW Laws should be nation wide....P platers not allowed to drive V8s....agree with it or not, it is at least some kind of step in the direction to try and prevent tradagies like this....

Cheers all
So the fact that he still blew high range some 8 hours after the accident has nothing to do with the accident, jeeze iv'e done the court imposed drivers offenders program and even the HWP office who ran the program who also happens to be a driving instructor for the HWP said the laws were a joke. He actually told us that P plater deaths have risen 18% since they came in in his command, clearly proving the whole v8/high performance thing to be a myth. Hell of the 75 people attending the program i was one of about 4-5 people who wasn't there on a drink driving charge, sad part is most were there on a 2nd or 3rd offence.
JOHNNOSF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Kawasakirider

The alcohol is why he crashed, it's not why the accident occurred in the first place. When I am drunk I still have the common sense not to get into my car and drive until I am not intoxicated and at the legal limit (for me 0.00 as I'm a P plater). Alcohol has the ability to reduce inhibitions, yes. It does not however, give an excuse for such an act of negligence.

This guy should be punished to the full extent of the law and beyond, although we all know he won't be. The sad thing is, he's lost his license twice, showing blatant disregard for the law, so he's obviously a douche. Therefore he probably won't let the guilt of his friend hang over his head too long.

V8's didn't cause this problem, the idiots involved in the crash did.
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its not his fault there was someone in the back of the ute. His mate hopped in there himself.

He deserves nothing more than the drink driving penalties. Certainly not jail.

Why is it his fauly someone who is of adult decision making age is in the back?

Again, make your own decisions.

If someone was on my roof and he fell off round a corner and died, whats the difference If I was drunk, speeding, not drunk, not speeding, crashed or didnt crash etc? Its still not my fault. Its the guy on the roof! Im just driving how I normally do...

Reminds me again of the GT falcon driver who somehow went to jail for the ferrari driver who killed himself out of his own actions!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #24
Kawasakirider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I think its not his fault there was someone in the back of the ute. His mate hopped in there himself.

If someone was on my roof and he fell off round a corner and died, whats the difference If I was drunk, speeding, not drunk, not speeding, crashed or didnt crash etc? Its still not my fault. Its the guy on the roof! Im just driving how I normally do...

Reminds me again of the GT falcon driver who somehow went to jail for the ferrari driver who killed himself out of his own actions!

He had 3 people in the back. I find it hard to believe 3 people snuck in there undetected. The thing is, HE was driving the ute and he should have had enough sense not to drive in the condition he was in, let alone with people in the back.

EVEN IF he didn't know someone was in the car, he shouldn't have been driving due to his intoxication (WHICH he still would have had enough sense not to IMO, if he didn't, she shouldn't have a license and shouldn't have been drinking in the first place). He was negligent, end of story.

I'm not saying his mates weren't stupid either, it's just unfortunate for the driver that he and his mates are all dumb ***'s that made stupid decisions and he's the one that has to pay for most of it.

You can't say that he didn't know, therefore he shouldn't be charged. How many other drunk people didn't know they were gunna run someone over? They still get charged with vehicular manslaughter. So why shouldn't he?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The driver shouldn't be driving with anyone in the back of the ute as you shouldn't if someone jumped on your roof.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:

Like Mitchay said, if he knew there was someone in the back of his ute and he didn't want them in there then it is his responsibility to not drive. And thats when sober, being intoxicated is another issue again.

Just the same if someone was on your roof it is your responsibility to not drive your car, or stop if you were already moving. It's part of the reponsibility of driving.

This is definitely an act of druken stupidity on all accounts, driver and passengers. Unfortunately it's had tragic consequences.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

What a suprise... P plater in accident, kills his friend and he lives...
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:

How old are you? And did you just get your license?

Drivers have a huge range of responsibilities, and are to be held accountable of everything that goes on while they are driving.

Nice avatar pic by the way... I hope thats not you btw...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Kawasakirider

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
What a suprise... P plater in accident, kills his friend and he lives...

See, this is what I don't like... a few idiots ruining it for every other new driver out there. There are more P platers that make it through the learning to drive stage than those that don't. Otherwise most of the younger generation would have an estimated lifespan of 17-19.

I'm 17, I'm still here and plan on being around for a lot longer.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider
See, this is what I don't like... a few idiots ruining it for every other new driver out there. There are more P platers that make it through the learning to drive stage than those that don't. Otherwise most of the younger generation would have an estimated lifespan of 17-19.

I'm 17, I'm still here and plan on being around for a lot longer.
Dont take what I said as a personal attack... If you watched that video in Pay attention or How an anti speeding ad should be and it actually gets through to you, then you'll be fine.