Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-12-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
MFL

Default Why do they do this ?

It’s happened a few times, while driving and I’ve always wondered why the police pull this stunt.

The most recent was on Christmas day, I was driving towards Sutherland on the Princes Hwy doing 70km/h in a 70 zone, and suddenly there is a grey Toyota tailgating me very close. The Toyota had just accelerated hard out of a side street , and were so close you couldn’t see the Police signs on the bonnet and the light bar on the roof. I haven’t seen a Camry marked like this before (a dark grey colour car with just white lettering.)

What do the cops think I will do with them so close to my rear bumper, I can just about read their badge number on their shirts, - race off , so we can start a chase, or maybe next time I should brake check them and see what happens - both bad options.
Old 26-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Why do they do this ?

Doesn’t it make you feel so much safer in our ever-dangerous community?
Old 26-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #3
MFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Doesn’t it make you feel so much safer in our ever-dangerous community?
absolutely, I mean look how they dealt with Danny Lim at the QVB, makes me feel very safe.

Just for FYI.
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...78f950d6e5b847
Old 26-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve had similar experiences to yours over the years, like you I don’t really know what they are thinking. Thompson Street Hunters Hill, southbound on the Gladesville Bridge, Sofala Rd Laffing Waters, Cowabbie St Coolamon, Great Western Highway Medlow Bath… If I similarly tailgated a police car (marked or unmarked) they would likely demand an explanation on the spot!
Old 26-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
MFL

Smile Re: Why do they do this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve had similar experiences to yours over the years, like you I don’t really know what they are thinking. Thompson Street Hunters Hill, southbound on the Gladesville Bridge, Sofala Rd Laffing Waters, Cowabbie St Coolamon, Great Western Highway Medlow Bath… If I similarly tailgated a police car (marked or unmarked) they would likely demand an explanation on the spot!
Must be in their handbook under how to engage with the community
Old 26-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
absolutely, I mean look how they dealt with Danny Lim at the QVB, makes me feel very safe.

Just for FYI.
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...78f950d6e5b847
When did they start sending cops to train here in the US ?

Old 26-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
MFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
When did they start sending cops to train here in the US ?

well they had to get the military grade weapons and armoured cars, as well , to look like their US counterparts ..
Old 26-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

I had this done to me a few odd times over the years, just some cop who is on a high egotistical trip out to bait you to do something wrong.
Shame you did not have a reverse dashcam to report the mug.

cheers
This user likes this post:
Old 26-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
well they had to get the military grade weapons and armoured cars, as well , to look like their US counterparts ..
Or possibly to help out in siege situations like the recent one in Qld?
Old 26-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
MFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Or possibly to help out in siege situations like the recent one in Qld?
There is a difference between being appropriately armed for siege situations and walking Sydney streets carrying military style rifles and vests. I hadn't realised that the streets of the Sydney CBD having become so lawless. I'm not concerned about what they carry in their cars. As for the sad situation in QLD, some newspaper reports said they were sent to the address without the proper intelligence, which I assume doesn't help.