Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2022, 10:45 PM   #31
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: China protests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I don't normally do these threads.

But someone above says Xi was elected (fair enough) and someone later says he's president for life. Did the Chinese people elect him president for life?
Yeh I said that. To (over) simplify it and draw a comparison to what we are used to, it would go something like this. You, the pleb, get to vote for your local council members. At that level, there are several parties (gobsmacked?). But then only local council members can vote for the next level, say state and territory reps. Then only state and territory reps can vote for the next level, say federal. At all levels above the lowest, there is only one party. At the very top, senior party members choose their leader who becomes president. I think thats right? Maybe Tich can confirm.

Xi had the presidency term limit removed, which was previously 2 terms. But to make that change he had to get support from the party, which he did. There are close to 100m CCP members. As long as he has support from senior ranks of the CCP, he is basically president for life (or as long as he wants) The key thing though is, he needs their continuous support, cos if he ever looses it, he can be purged just like anyone else. There is a presidential election every 5 years I think. Bottom line is, he ain't a King, he is just an "elected" president.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #32
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Media, there all as bad as each other - east west whatever.....
My ol father inlaw would always shout out watching news being an ol ethnic, "propaganda!!!"
I agree who are we to point the finger the west has done just as wrong but at least people do have more freedoms when push comes to shove unless your a real national threat or to society for sure your locked up.
As we know HK has fallen back into the CCP ruling but early days it sure isn't like being on the mainland barring change of laws.
HK people have had alot of western influence/freedom over the decades and knows alot more than the average never travelled mainlander.
They are in the CCP's bubble, sure the younger ones are being more adventurous but most of the older gen forget it unless they are the veryvery small portion with $ and travel experience.
The old Gen are scared of jabs/needles, reports I saw not even 20% been vaccined.
Thats their concerns in part I suspect And CCP only relying on their own vaccine that is not to the standards of pfizer.

I have been trading/visiting mainland over 20yrs and obviously in contact regularly.
Talking with many middle/upper management younger ones some are in the CCP bubble no doubt about it.
Being the thread starter brought up the lockdown protesting etc here's a copy paste reply yesterday from my question how they are and lockdowns etc :
"Thank you for your greetings and we're all fine now.
I'm back to XXXXX office for normally working since yesterday and my son can be back to school this morning.

To be honest,the COVID is not serious as abroad,but our government take it very strictly once new people affected.
That's the reason why we was blocked at home for some days to avoid more people affected."

Some discussions during my visit I question how they feel about not having their POV - not allowed this not allowed that ? no YT/FB etc but replaced with their mediums controlled by CCP - they say its right for the west is too free.
Maybe they are right ? in some ways we have lost the plot - but I sure wouldn't like our Gov to just come down on my suburb for eg and run amuck, either kick you out or lock you in, take your land etcetc.

Its a mad world but I'm dam happy I'm here.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 06:13 PM   #33
J Arthur Rank

Thanks FTE, some interesting points you bring up there. One thing that stands out is where he/she said "to be honest, the covid is not serious as abroad" etc. That to me looks a lot like the opinion (nefarious or otherwise) the ccp wants the citizens to have and for the vast majority who can't talk to any outsiders such as yourself, probably do.

I certainly don't blame anyone there for wanting to be careful with how they word their correspondences - no doubt it can all be read by big brother. The bit about the west being too free also smacks of indoctrination/propoganda to me and/or towing the party line.

Can I ask how old the person was you emailed with?

I agree 100%, Oz is a pretty ****ing great place to live even over the last few years.
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 10:16 PM   #34
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

mate will take a gen or 2 to penetrate their DNA in good numbers.
That person actually travels to Industry shows (ME/Asia/USA/Europe) being a Export Sales Manager so they see the western ways but still have their ccp brain washing and upbringing more than anything for yes they think west is far worse than what they are going through.
Well the many I have come to know.
Lovely person,infact have many good
Person is late 30's.
Baidu the main search engine and we know who runs that.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #35
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow. Maybe it will also take another generation or two for the colonial mindset to disappear.

So a chinese person who disagrees or has a different view must automatically be brainwashed You realise quite a few of the gen Xs and Ys have actually lived, worked or got educated abroad. It was actually something that was actively encouraged previously. Pretty sure they can think for themselves.

Here is a "too free" concept. In some parts of the world, pretty much anyone who wants to buy and carry a gun in public, is "free" to do so. Sure am glad we are not that "free" here.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 01-12-2022, 04:53 PM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default China protests

Edit
I had a response that may have been read but in hindsight thought your not worth it by your approach.
Your so worldly you must be right.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FTE217; 01-12-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:17 PM   #37
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was nothing wrong with your initial response. But it was a bit like that one time a Victorian mate told you how 6m Victorians were feeling How did that turn out?

Not having a crack at your source, but maybe think before making statements like "will take a gen or 2 to penetrate their DNA". Penetrate with what exactly?

Anyway, we always disagree when we talk about this subject. Move on.

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 PM   #38
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default China protests

Turned out fine to me.
Your worldly as quoted and in your space and quote from sources or links like anyone else who says your intel is entirely valid.
Maybe you think before as well.
Doh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #39
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Protests in China has result in a government policy change. Who would have thunk?

Everyone is so gobsmacked they don't know what to say....

Rides (past and present)

Old 09-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #40
J Arthur Rank

Hey Arnie

What has changed mate? I haven't checked up on how things are going over there for a few days.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #41
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arthur Rank View Post
Hey Arnie

What has changed mate? I haven't checked up on how things are going over there for a few days.
G'day uncle Arthur. Slight easing. Saw it reported on the ABC last night. Mild cases can isolate at home. No more mass testing. You can enter shops without positive confirmation that you are covid free. No more lock down of entire towers, but floors can still be locked down if there is an outbreak. Some provinces have been slow to implement the new rules, but they are starting to trickle down.

A big test to see just how mild the current variants are. Apparently 2/3rds of their elderly still not jabbed.

There is however no guarantee they won't reimpose the harsh lock downs if things get out of control.

Rides (past and present)

Old 09-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #42
J Arthur Rank

That's promising - hopefully it's genuine and not a smokescreen for some other dastardly ****.

Is your uncle a permanent resident in HK?
Old 09-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #43
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's promising - hopefully it's genuine and not a smokescreen for some other dastardly ****.

Is your uncle a permanent resident in HK?
Affirmative....

Rides (past and present)

Old 09-12-2022, 06:42 PM   #44
J Arthur Rank

Does he worry much about things going south in HK? If they did, would he move to Oz or tough it out you reckon?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #45
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does he worry much about things going south in HK? If they did, would he move to Oz or tough it out you reckon?
He hasn't mentioned anything about HK itself. Since the British handed HK back to China, not a lot has changed. Things that are not tolerated by gov officials now, was not tolerated back then.

Apparently more HK protest anthems have been played in "in error" in the sporting arena. It has happened about a few times now, in South Korea and now Dubai. That seems to be the big news there at the moment.

Zero chance he would move to Oz He has family and citizenship in Canada I think.

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by T3rminator; 09-12-2022 at 07:11 PM.