Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #1141
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Does it now mean it will be "football (including wimmen's or other codes); meat pies (including meat substitutes, vegan and Halal options); Kangaroos (including other native species and with acknowledgement of the traditional native hunters) and Opel / Vauxhall / Chevrolet cars"?
Nope it will be "Football, Meatpies, Kangaroos and Asian cars".

Ford will be the next to go once Kia and Hyundai sort their utes out and those sales start to drop!
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #1142
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Personally, I have no interest in owning a dead brand. It was OK whilst Holden existed to own legacy models like Commodore, but not now.

Wouldn't be surprised if the value of collectable Holdens starts to come down now and pulls Ford GTs with it.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #1143
The Snout

We still have SSang Yong. It's even got SS in the name.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #1144
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
What happens in supercars?

What will hsv modify?
Hyundai’s of course. They won’t even need a name change, how convenient
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #1145
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
People are already starting to ask the question.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/n...13-p4z9gs.html
And there it is. Although all signs were pointing to the inevitable, I was somewhat numbed by today's announcement. A sad day for Australia.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #1146
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
And there it is. Although all signs were pointing to the inevitable, I was somewhat numbed by today's announcement. A sad day for Australia.
This actually makes me Angry.

They are talking about 600 jobs losses at Holden.

There are 250 odd Holden dealers here in Australia, let’s roll that up and understand what the real number is ( including all of the support business job losses).

This was going to happen, but it’s terrible for our Australian Heritage.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #1147
JG33

A twitter message from ford

Ford Australia

1/1 - All of us here at Ford Australia are saddened to hear the news that Holden will cease operations. Holden is an iconic brand that holds a special place in the heart of many Australians, and has done so much to shape the Australian automotive industry and the country...

2/2 - Its vehicles have been worthy competitors both on road and on the racetrack. To our friends at Holden, thank you for keeping us on our toes and inspiring us to keep aiming higher. We will miss you.
Old 17-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #1148
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
A twitter message from ford

Ford Australia

1/1 - All of us here at Ford Australia are saddened to hear the news that Holden will cease operations. Holden is an iconic brand that holds a special place in the heart of many Australians, and has done so much to shape the Australian automotive industry and the country...

2/2 - Its vehicles have been worthy competitors both on road and on the racetrack. To our friends at Holden, thank you for keeping us on our toes and inspiring us to keep aiming higher. We will miss you.
Class (not sarcasm).
Old 17-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #1149
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

On the December 2nd last year, Dave Buttner suddenly resigns with no explanation. I guess we know when the decision to retire the Holden brand was made.

A sad day for lovers of the brand but hardly a shock, the actions of GM over the last 18 months all to obvious this was going to happen. No sympathy from me, the brand only has it's self to blame.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
5 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #1150
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
On the December 2nd last year, Dave Buttner suddenly resigns with no explanation. I guess we know when the decision to retire the Holden brand was made.

A sad day for lovers of the brand but hardly a shock, the actions of GM over the last 18 months all to obvious this was going to happen. No sympathy from me, the brand only has it's self to blame.
No sympathy for who? GM or the employees, dealers and the wider network, and even Holden fans in general?
Old 17-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #1151
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
No sympathy for who? GM or the employees, dealers and the wider network, and even Holden fans in general?
While it is sad, businesses shut down all the time. There has been a real spate of them recently, especially in retail. I'm in the printing game. Many have shut down in recent times. It is no more unfortunate for a Holden employee than for many other people also out of work.
Old 17-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #1152
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
My sympathies are for all who worked for Holden or the dealers. I don't give and have never given a toss for the brand.

And sympathies to the Australian psyche which has been severely bruised by the killing of something which has been ingrained into this country's culture.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 17-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #1153
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

[QUOTE=Fordman1;6401261]

"Australian Heritage".

American Heritage , get it Right !
Old 17-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #1154
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure there wouldn't be a single one of us diehard Ford fans , many of which are AFF members of course who wouldn't be sad about this.

So , There would be no chance that GM itself will deal in Australia ?

The other thing is HSV...I suppose they could continue , couldn't they because their great products are already Chevrolet anyway Camaro , Silverado, Sportcat etc.

Won't bloody Cadogen (smug git) be bouncing all over this as he drives another stake into the now deceased Holden brand .

Holden has a lot to be proud of that's for sure ..So disappointing for the loyal Holden boys and girls all over Australia .
Old 17-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #1155
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Holden died in 2017, the burial is well overdue. The carcass was rotten and stinking.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #1156
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post

"Australian Heritage".

American Heritage , get it Right !
You need to get your Quotes right first mate 👎

That’s a stupid cynical post.

Yes, Holden are a great Australian Brand, they made cars for this great country and employed many Australians for many years, they were one of our country’s great Icons.

Now they are basically gone.

Now go away and float your boat.
7 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1157
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

It is also tied up with the sale of their plant in Thailand to Great Wall and other pull backs globally.
The bottom line is GM is globally under siege.

Currently, GMs global budget to develop EV and Hybrid vehciles is $13 billion
VAGs budget for the same time period is $54 billion

You dont have to be a mystic to predict where this is going to end up.

RIP old foe, but the truth be told you where sold up the river without a paddle.
Ford dedicated one of its 3 global engineering hubs here and provides great employment and tech development in Aus. GM invested nothing. Ever.