Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default International Engine of the Year 2005

This sounds like one very nice motor.

Any guesses what it is before you check it out?

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...rs/winner.html
Quote:
“Who in the world needs an Autobahn-eating 500bhp V10 with a bloodthirsty battle cry that frightens Ferraris, but morphs into a dutiful pussycat in city traffic?” queried Van Tune, America’s most-watched automotive pundit. “You and I do, of course,” was his answer.

.....zero to 100km/h (62mph) in 4.7 seconds.....refinement, a willingness to rev to 8,250rpm, and accessible torque (some 450Nm of the peak torque is available at 3,500rpm).
http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/4101/
Quote:
......The first vote-winner is unquestionably its 507bhp, and it’s a certainty that the maximum torque of 520Nm would have helped sway the jurors......
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

I don't get why people like that engine so much... quite overrated like everything else BMW has made this past decade.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If anyone praises an engine ... it's usually a Bimmer motor.
Who else makes an engine so sweet as BMW.

Over 500hp ... let me see ... I'm guessing the M5 V10 engine.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I don't get why people like that engine so much... quite overrated like everything else BMW has made this past decade.
If you don't care for engine's & the engineering required to build high output/high revving engines, why have that signature of yours?
Old 18-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
If you don't care for engine's & the engineering required to build high output/high revving engines, why have that signature of yours?
Oh but you have it all wrong. The XR6 Turbo's engine is a good engine. 240kW @ 5250rpm, 450Nm @ 2000 - 4250rpm, 6000rpm redline. That's excellent. On the other hand.. 373kW @ 7750rpm, 520Nm @ 6100rpm and 8250rpm redline.. well.. sucks. You have to wring the thing's neck to get anywhere, its got puny torque, which just makes things worse, considering its a 1.7 tonne family sedan, not a light sports car. Case point.. E55 AMG... 350kW @ 6100rpm, 700Nm @ 2650 - 4500rpm. Its 200kg heavier then the M5, yet its faster at just about everything. Especially in the real world, when it comes to it. Need to overtake two b-doubles at once while cruising in 5th gear at 100km/h? No problems! Just pull out, give the throttle a jab, and you're passed them in no time. That's a marvellous engine. The thing in the M5, well, no thanks.

:
Old 18-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on steffo, compare apples with apples, not oranges :

You are comparing a turbo engine to a naturally asperated. And the Beema is .2 seconds quicker than the turbo E55.

The Beema is producing more with less. Your argument is like comparing the V8 LTD to the XR6 Turbo.

Quote:
There are a number of reasons why 56 motoring journalists from 26 countries have named this, the BMW 5-litre V10, Best New Engine 2005. The first vote-winner is unquestionably its 507bhp, and it’s a certainty that the maximum torque of 520Nm would have helped sway the jurors. Most judges have probably been equally impressed by the unit’s first-class refinement and its intoxicating bark when under full load. But this V10, which has taken class honours by 100 points over the second-placed new Ferrari unit, is also about the application of smart technologies; about sound engineering that enables one to achieve over 100bhp per litre in a naturally aspirated engine.

The basics are a vee in a 90° angle (meaning the engine is more compact and can thus be mounted lower in the nose of the M5 and M6 to aid handling performance), and a one-piece aluminium cylinder head containing four valves per cylinder. The clever design is less obvious – because less is more. All the valvetrain components are of low mass to enable the high maximum operating speed of 8,250rpm. For example, the M engine features compact 5mm shaft valves and also has spherical valve tappets with hydraulic valve play and single valve springs.

Further weight is saved with the cylinder crankcases being cast using the low-pressure gravity die method, and being made of lightweight hypereutectic aluminium-silicon alloy. Even the pistons are made from light aluminium alloy and then coated with iron for strength – they weigh just 481.7g each.

The bottom line is that this Best New Engine 2005 weighs just 240kg – that’s almost exactly the same figure as its predecessor, a V8.
Old 18-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

After seeing a photo of the line up of all the parts in a magazine, I have to say it is one of the finest pieces of engineering I have ever seen. The exhaust manifolds are a work of art and the cylinder heads are some of the finest castings I have seen.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hahahahahahhahahaah :P
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Come on steffo, compare apples with apples, not oranges :

You are comparing a turbo engine to a naturally asperated. And the Beema is .2 seconds quicker than the turbo E55.

The Beema is producing more with less. Your argument is like comparing the V8 LTD to the XR6 Turbo.
Actually, the E55 is a SOHC 24v Supercharged 5.4, and the M5 is slower... 0-100km/h in 4.7 sec vs 4.3 (yep.. .2 quicker alright).. 1/4 mile, both do 12.5 @ 115-118mph, both are limited to 250km/h top speed.. but the E55 stomps it in-gear acceleration (much like the Typhoon vs GT).

:
Old 18-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Oh Goodie another award for the intangable.

After "International Engine of the Year 2005" we look forward the " International Best Home of the year 2005", the "International Nicest Colour of the Year", and the "Internation Favorite Corner of the Year".

Who dreams up this slop. More to the point why argue about something that cannot have one right answer..
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets get the spelling right - intangible

International Engine of the Year 2005 - it has been around for 6 years.

The idea of competitions like this is to promote excellence.

The technology from these engines eventually come down to vehicles like Falcons & Commodores. Where do you think the double overhead variable valve timing technology come from.

Wow, what a pessimistic bunch some people are.
Old 18-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

[QUOTE=johnydep]Lets get the spelling right - intangible[/QOUTE]
ooh- ah break out the chinese mission sticks

Quote:
International Engine of the Year 2005 - it has been around for 6 years.
Which just goes to prove how meaningless this award is.

Quote:
The idea of competitions like this is to promote excellence.
Yeah I can see the excellence it has inspred so far..

Quote:
The technology from these engines eventually come down to vehicles like Falcons & Commodores. Where do you think the double overhead variable valve timing technology come from.
From Ford, I only buy ford, an its technology older than you or I.

Quote:
Wow, what a pessimistic bunch some people are.
Pessimistic, no I dont think so, nothing pessimistic about it whether ccorrectly spelt or not. No, its more a case of Shrewd, unless you know a better antonym for gullible. :voldar02:
Old 18-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

A deserving winner. Oh and as far as the E55 vs. new M5, all I'll say is this...

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wtm...aceE55vsM5.wmv

I LOVE the E55 believe me, and I'd have it or the M5 without ANY questions, but the V10 is a true work of automotive art. If you don't agree, well tough - you're wrong
Old 18-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Seen that video a million times. It does not do the E55 justice. I know a person who owned an E55 AMG, 2003 model. Believe me.. there is no factory car this side of $500,000 that's going to out-run one, not by a long shot.

:
Old 18-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

By all accounts the Beemer V10 is an awesome engine and a masterpiece in design and application. It deserves the accolade. I've seen a couple on the road and although the design of the rest of the car is debatable, the burble from the V10 on cruise was definitive...............and nothing that a couple of straight through mufflers couldn't enhance............ _2:

E55 or M5.............I'm there.

P.S. Recently saw a new E55 at Calder doing 12.1 12.2 and 12.3 all night.
Modified intake, underdriven S/C and heavy right foot from driver. This thing hauled like a cut cat.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #16
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Seen that video a million times. It does not do the E55 justice. I know a person who owned an E55 AMG, 2003 model. Believe me.. there is no factory car this side of $500,000 that's going to out-run one, not by a long shot.
I am dribbling in anticipation to hear your forthcoming qualitative critique of the new V10 to back up your "point of view", with particular attention paid to the technical deficiencies and engineering oversights.

We're waiting, don't disappoint us now! :dr_Evil:
Old 18-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #17
MRJUCY
Fordless

No amount of numbers, stats or figures can make a car good or bad it's all in how they drive anything else is a ****ing contest
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #18
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
What about the SL65?? What about the Gallardo? What about F430? What about the Porsche GT2 or 911 Turbo? Dodge Viper???

E55 is not a supercar, far from it. It's a luxury car with a big, powerful mutha of an engine, which is good in a staight line. Saying it can out-run any car under 500K is a pretty big statement. And then we come to some bends in th eroad... Let's just not go there....
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #19
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
What about the SL65?? What about the Gallardo? What about F430? What about the Porsche GT2 or 911 Turbo? Dodge Viper???

E55 is not a supercar, far from it. It's a luxury car with a big, powerful mutha of an engine, which is good in a staight line. Saying it can out-run any car under 500K is a pretty big statement. And then we come to some bends in th eroad... Let's just not go there....

What about reality, "Engine of the year" that could just as likely be the 4cyl lump that drags Camry's about.
Old 19-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #20
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yay, a ****ing match about a ****ing match.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #21
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
HAHAHAHAHA....
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #22
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well coming from an automotive background, I reckon that BMW build some very fine engines, don't think much of their cars (especially the American & South African Beema's), but the engines are a work of art.
I also like to keep up to date with trends that will eventually work down to our local cars, like the EF/L two stage manifold, the XE Bosch EFI, these are technology that was developed by expensive European brands that eventually became affordable for our local industry.

Arguing that having a 'Best of' or 'Car of the year' award is 'useless' does not make sense in a dummy spit with no than logic or plausible argument, facts are required.
Like getting rid of 'Best & Fairest' because no one person can be the best & fairest on the day. Well, sorry, I disagree, someone always plays better than everyone else on the day, next week is another game & we'll get different 'Best & Fairest'.
So get used to the fact that BMW built this years best engine, if you disagree give the facts, I'll read anything that is factual.

Here is one; http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46135 read the scanned article.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going for a drive in my mate's brother's sister's boyfriend's cousin's husband's M5 :

Last edited by johnydep; 19-07-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 19-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #23
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
:hihi: Good call mate :hihi:
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #24
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If anyone praises an engine ... it's usually a Bimmer motor.
Who else makes an engine so sweet as BMW.

Over 500hp ... let me see ... I'm guessing the M5 V10 engine.
The man wins a cigar _2:
Old 19-07-2005, 02:12 AM   #25
paul7v7
bring it on

i don't like the M5 (give me a merc anyday) at all but hats off to BMW on a job well done. They don't just hand these awards out to any old engine. Credit where credit is due.
Old 19-07-2005, 02:21 AM   #26
lizardmech

The C6 Z06s LS7 seems alot better to me, im sure it costs alot less to build and doesn't need to run at almost 9000rpm.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 02:34 AM   #27
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Yep you called it right...

These silly fools dont get it.
Old 19-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #28
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New M5 sitting downstairs in works carpark. I want it!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #29
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour

Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG = $450,000

Lamborghini Gallardo = $400,000

Ferrari F430 = $420,000

Porsche 911 GT2 = $399,900 (and no longer in production)

And do they still sell the Viper here? Anyway, all these things (Viper aside) cost double what the E55 costs, and the only ones with a definitive acceleration lead are the 911 GT2 (3.9 0-100km/h, 11.7 1/4 mile) and SL65 AMG (4.4 0-100km/h.. a tenth behind E55.. and 11.65 1/4 mile). The Viper and E55 are about tied also. I stand by what I said, for a factory car that out-sprints the E55, you're paying close to half a million.

:
Old 19-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #30
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Believe me.. there is no factory car this side of $500,000 that's going to out-run one, not by a long shot.
The cars i listed all cost below 500K. I stand by what I said too. Shouldn't you be at school or something?? sleep:
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post